Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Motorola Droid Phones? (might be switching to VZW)

I like the first Droid. It was a good phone. It was the first Android phone that wasn't an underpowered piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    I like the first Droid. It was a good phone. It was the first Android phone that wasn't an underpowered piece of crap.
    for its time. Unfortunately now it is underpowered unless you run froyo or earlier ROM. No idea how all these folks run GB on it and claim no issues. Mine freezes, reboots, slow etc.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

I just heard from a friend of mine who works for VZW that Verizon is going to start denying access to phones with non factory Operating Systems.

I figure that it won't be long before the other wireless providers follow suit. I can't imagine that there won't be some kind of workaround. It really could be as simple as the OS Identifying as a factory OS on their network. But who knows anyway? It looks like the factory OS is customizable enough as it is. I think I'm going to stop by a VZW store and look at the Droid X2, and maybe see about their test drive so that way I can feel like a high roller for having 2 phones.

Keven, what is your take on the new Sony Ericsson xperia play?

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    I just heard from a friend of mine who works for VZW that Verizon is going to start denying access to phones with non factory Operating Systems.

I figure that it won't be long before the other wireless providers follow suit. I can't imagine that there won't be some kind of workaround. It really could be as simple as the OS Identifying as a factory OS on their network. But who knows anyway? It looks like the factory OS is customizable enough as it is. I think I'm going to stop by a VZW store and look at the Droid X2, and maybe see about their test drive so that way I can feel like a high roller for having 2 phones.
    that seems really really unlikely. there would be a lot of nerd-rage at that move if true. I'm using cyanogenmod 7 on my HTC Incredible and while the basic OS seems nice, it just doesn't do certain things as well as Sense did (or features that are supposed to do the same thing as Sense act really flakey). I really like my HTC phone and would buy another one in a heartbeat. I'm waiting for a dual-core qHD LTE phone on vzw. anything short of that probably won't be enough to get me to upgrade before my 2yr contract is up.

2 years really is an awfully long time in the world of smartphones, isn't it

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Verizon has been against unlocked bootloaders for a while now. HTC and Motorola aren't shipping phones with locked bootloaders just to screw the customers, they're doing it at the carrier's request. So, because of that, I can't imagine Verizon doing anything above and beyond what they already do to go after those who mod their Android devices, but maybe there's something new in the works, I dunno.

Anyway, if they do something it's easy enough to restore your phone to factory settings. Plus with Google Contacts you don't have to worry about putting your contacts and calendar stuff back in.

Keven, what is your take on the new Sony Ericsson xperia play?
    Phone and hardware feel nice, especially the gamepad. It's running Android 2.3. It only has a last-gen single-core Snapdragon processor. While that should run most emulated stuff and most current mobile games, I have a feeling that developers are going to try to push hardware performance with a nice dedicated hardware gamepad like this and I dunno if this phone can or will keep up. Still, if you want to do a lot of gaming, that pad will be hard to beat.

Verizon has been against unlocked bootloaders for a while now. HTC and Motorola aren't shipping phones with locked bootloaders just to screw the customers, they're doing it at the carrier's request. So, because of that, I can't imagine Verizon doing anything above and beyond what they already do to go after those who mod their Android devices, but maybe there's something new in the works, I dunno.
    HTC claims that they're going to only ship unlocked bootloaders from now on. I'll believe it when I see it on new HTC devices on Verizon. I don't understand the problem that carriers have, I mean, you already pay for the data and phone service. Baseband versions are generally unchanged by OS mods or changes, so why do they care? They're probably upset at the fact that people are using tethering and not paying the utterly asinine fees they charge for that "service"

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    HTC claims that they're going to only ship unlocked bootloaders from now on. I'll believe it when I see it on new HTC devices on Verizon. I don't understand the problem that carriers have, I mean, you already pay for the data and phone service. Baseband versions are generally unchanged by OS mods or changes, so why do they care? They're probably upset at the fact that people are using tethering and not paying the utterly asinine fees they charge for that "service"
    That's part of it but I think they're also trying to protect their wireless network. Android version updates are often so delayed because the carrier is putting it through hundreds of hours of lab testing in order to "certify" it for use on their network. They think it's 1995 and we're all carrying around Motorola StarTACs.

Of course, if you're Apple and you make AT&T and Verizon lots of money, you can just say "We're putting out a new update, bitch." and the carriers agree.

That's part of it but I think they're also trying to protect their wireless network. Android version updates are often so delayed because the carrier is putting it through hundreds of hours of lab testing in order to "certify" it for use on their network. They think it's 1995 and we're all carrying around Motorola StarTACs.

Of course, if you're Apple and you make AT&T and Verizon lots of money, you can just say "We're putting out a new update, bitch." and the carriers agree.
    I guess that makes sense for baseband software updates, but for OS versions it seems like total overkill. considering that the same basic OS is used across different models, and that the OS basically interfaces with the baseband, you'd think it'd be carrier agnostic. At least thats my understanding of stuff.

Trust me, I do science

Anyway, if they do something it's easy enough to restore your phone to factory settings. Plus with Google Contacts you don't have to worry about putting your contacts and calendar stuff back in.

Phone and hardware feel nice, especially the gamepad. It's running Android 2.3. It only has a last-gen single-core Snapdragon processor. While that should run most emulated stuff and most current mobile games, I have a feeling that developers are going to try to push hardware performance with a nice dedicated hardware gamepad like this and I dunno if this phone can or will keep up. Still, if you want to do a lot of gaming, that pad will be hard to beat.
    I haven't honestly been a hardcore gamer in some time now.But, what insterested me in the Ericsson was the game pad. I still enjoy playing classic games on emulators once in a while. I once had emulators on my iPhone when it was jailbroken. The games all played well, but I can't honestly say that gaming on the iPhone is enjoyable unless it's strategy oriented. Touchscreen phones and gaming just don't mix IMO.

Maybe I'll test drive that one instead. I wonder if I can try out more than one phone.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Just tried out the ericsson. Seems pretty nice and I especially like the feel of the controller. It's also on sale for $99, and I just got my credit checked and I won't even have to pay a security deposit if I switch. I also looked at the Droid X2 which was definitely more responsive. The dual core definitely makes a difference because it seems to be about as fast as a PC. I could see myself getting used to either one of them. Maybe I'll look at some other specs like battery life, and other things. While the mobile gaming experience should be great on the Ericsson, I have to wonder how much gaming I'm really going to do. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't seem to have the interest in games that I once did. I do enjoy alot of retro and retro style gaming. But even when I was a kid, I never really enjoyed the mobile gaming experience on the Game Boy. I just don't like looking at really small screens for long periods of time.

Perhaps the X2 would be the better phone for me, but I still have 6 weeks to decide.

Re: Motorola Droid Phones? (probably will be switching to VZW)

Yeah, dual-core phones really make a difference. I was extremely skeptical when they first came out but you can really tell the difference.

But, they can be a serious hamper on the battery life. The BlackBerry PlayBook is a nice little tablet aside from the lack of apps, but the dual core proc really sucks the battery life. It has the worst battery life of any mobile device I've used in iPhone era.

Anyone buying the Bionic tomorrow?
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    Anyone buying the Bionic tomorrow?

Nope keeping My Rooted DINC for a while longer.
    Case Lian Li LanCool PC-K62 PSU Corsair HX850 Motherboard EVGA X58 E757 Video Card EVGA HD 570
    CPU Intel I7 930@3.5GHz Cooler CoolerMaster V8 Memory 6GB(2GB x 3) GEIL BLACK DRAGON PC3 12800
    DVD Drive LiteON DH401S DVD Burner LG GH22NS50 System Drive 60GB SSD Mushkin Callisto
    Additional Storage 300GB VelociRaptor 74GB Raptor Seagate 1.5TB Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Soundcard SB X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty PCI-E Headphones Razor Barracuda

Just got a Droid X2 from VZW.