CORSAIR XMS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820145299

BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813138179

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16822148316

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16822148316

I'm using a Corsair 650W power supply and a PNY GeForce 9800 GS, and I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I suspected I might have a bad memory module, and am currently running Memtest which is coming back with 112 errors so far

Symptoms:
    1. Hard Drive Issues

Windows XP didn't initially recognize the Hard Drives, and listed only one drive of about 130GB. I believe I solved this one. Windows XP initial release did not recognize SATA drives. I had to update Windows XP, and then format a second partition of the 320GB drive, and then the 1TB drive

2. Occasional BSOD and above 40 celcius system temperature.

Computer was occasionally (especially early on) giving BSOD. I thought that this was an overheating issue due to lack of AC in hot summer days, but on cooler days the system temp will still read as 40 Celsius. I've read that 40C is okay, and I have rebooted to find the system was at 45 Celsius when I was playing games but not noticing any stability issues.

During bootup, I see "system 1 fan" listed as "N/A", but my case has 2 fans that both appear to be running (there's also the Video card fan and PSU fan). The CPU is always cooler than or equal to the system temperature.

Since I don't think it's an overheating issue at 40 Celsius, I believe this is a memory problem

3. Constant Disc copy errors, graphical corruption, and desktop crashes

My computer is constantly unable to install programs, giving CRC or similar errors in almost anything I attempt to install. I have encountered this on 3 DVD drives that I own (including a brand new HP one) on multiple discs and in one case installing something I downloaded (The Sims 2 Store).

I also occasionally get graphical errors, and games crashing to the desktop either with or without text descriptions.

Checking the internet I believe bad RAM could account for all of these. (I also suspect the games I have more problems with are ones with higher system ram requirements)

I want to make sure that these problems are all caused by bad ram, and not something else that damaged my ram.

Whadd'ya think?

Re: Does bad RAM explain all my symptons

test each stick individually. you'll probably find 1 stick is bad.

when running mem86, you shouldn't have any errors.

ud

i concur with ud. 1 error in memtest is enough for me, let alone 112(so far). test each stick individually in eachslot. probably a bad module but it could be a bad slot too.
    TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

Will the system boot properly regardless of what slot the memory is in?

The memory is dual channel 2x2GB

If I determine 1 stick is bad, do I send that one to corsair, or do they need both to replace it?

yes, the board will post with 1 stick in any slot. the bios will sense the single stick and switch to single channel.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38201

ud

Okay...well after a day of testing I flipped the memory modules. I tested each module individually:

I tested the first module individually in slot 1, and I tested the second module in slot 2 and slot 1. I ran each test for 2 passes.

The only time I have been able to get errors (always in test 7 specifically) is when module 1 was in slot 1 and module 2 was in slot 2. This was the initial set-up, and I recreated the results when I tried this configuration again.

I flipped the two, so that module 2 was in slot 1 and module 1 was in slot 2. It passed going 2 passes, and the CRC errors I was getting are gone so far. I hope it was just some wierd issue with the order of the memory modules in the slots.

Anyway, thankie very much for your help I hope it's all better and I can install things and play games and have fun and everything!

I'm still getting memtest errors. Specifically, I am reasonably sure these errors are only happening in Dual-Channel, but can't be completely sure.

Unfortunately, I have run memtest overnight in dual-channel and not gotten any errors at all, while today I ran into a software problem, and am finding errors during Memtest. So I have no idea how to be "sure" that the sticks are alright, since every configuration has passed with 0 errors at some point.

One thing I notice is that Corsair lists two voltages: SPD Voltage and tested Voltage.

Newegg link:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820145299

Corsair link:
    http://www.corsair.com/memory/amd-me...m2a1333c8.html

The SPD voltage for my memory is 1.5V, and the "tested voltage" is 1.65V. In the bios, my voltage is 1.6V. Should I increase that to 1.65V - could low voltage be the problem?

The only other observation I can offer is that the room (and my system) may be hotter, when the tests are getting errors.
    Last edited by Cobra_nVidia; 07-05-2011 at 01:19 PM.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Run at RATED voltage on the sticker of the module.
    IF you still get memtest errors then its time for an RMA.

My advice, uhh Corsair was decent years ago, for RAM I would only buy Kingston, Mushkin or Patriot now.

Is it just me, or does this look like a PSU issue to anyone else? What BSOD exactly? If it's the "a secondary processor..." one then it's very likely PSU. The weird fault with one stick of RAM tend to agree - that ans a 750W is at the limit for driving that kit.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Is it just me, or does this look like a PSU issue to anyone else? What BSOD exactly? If it's the "a secondary processor..." one then it's very likely PSU. The weird fault with one stick of RAM tend to agree - that ans a 750W is at the limit for driving that kit.

M
    Maybe, I have seen PSUs cause memory errors.

I've seen PSUs cause memory errors, too (weak 3.3V/5V lines). But given that this is a Corsair PSU, I doubt it, although this sentence is biased as I believe Corsair PSUs are top notch. I will agree that sometimes, some bad ones make it out there.

I would update the BIOS if the motherboard POSTS fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post

M
    I highly doubt hes bumping up against the wall. A Corsair 650w should really be enough for that, my i7 @4ghz with gtx 460 SLI doesn't pull a full 650 under load so I highly doubt this stressing the PSU all that much. Sounds like bad ram to me.

Do you have an alternate system to give this a test in?

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

A 650w is PLENTY for his rig. I have an overclocked X6 and at one time had a power hungry HD4870 running with an Antec 550w. No problem at all.

Have you tried running CPU-Z in Windows to compare the actual memory timings with the SPD for the sticks? It's possible the BIOS isn't detecting it correctly and is setting the timings too aggressively.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    A 650w is PLENTY for his rig. I have an overclocked X6 and at one time had a power hungry HD4870 running with an Antec 550w. No problem at all.

Have you tried running CPU-Z in Windows to compare the actual memory timings with the SPD for the sticks? It's possible the BIOS isn't detecting it correctly and is setting the timings too aggressively.
    It may be plenty, but thats not the question. The question is if the PSU is malfunctioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    It may be plenty, but thats not the question. The question is if the PSU is malfunctioning.
    Both possibilities have been suggested. See reference to 750w above.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games