Air Cooling Help

Hello PCPer community. I've started assembling my rig's list, and I have everything down except my air cooling cpu heatsink/fan. I'm not going to go liquid cooling because I'm not confident in my ability to set up something like that, on top of the added price, and its just not an option.

I'm looking to cool as much as possible with minimal noise of course. The cooling is more important though. I'm planning to overclock the i7-2600k. The case I'll be using is "Thermaltake V9 BlacX Flex Edition VN500M1W2N Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case" (Im open to suggestions though as long as its around the same price or lower. I do have a goflex drive though, so its a huge pulling point here.) I'm also using the "ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard" as my mobo.

This will be my first overclock and so I'm not planning anything super extreme for it, but I'd like to get a little more than a casual boost. As for the rest of my build, its just more of the high-end pcper leader-board, along with a wireless card, a dvd burner, and some peripherals.

I can see spending up to $130 tops on air cooling, but clearly the better value is best. Once again, I'd like to lean more towards cool than quiet.

Thanks in advance

Re: Air Cooling Help

Check http://www.thermalright.com/

I doubt you can spend 130 on air but you are welcome to try.

Noise vs cfm is a trade off and the fan is the only determiner. The largest diameter fan will push more air with less noise. Do not bother with dual fan setups.

50-60 cfm is about optimal. Do not get Delta's 150cfm three bladed prop fan, you will go crazy looking for the helicopter in your house!!! You can use a higher cfm fan and use the motherboard to control the speed, allowing you to make the best compromise. I have found the 50-60 cfm allow me to get my maximum OC's, everything over to be a waste.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

$130 isn't a goal, its more of that if it costs more than that, Its not worth it for me. Good to know things don't really get that expensive though.

Does which heat sink matter? This is my first OC so I'm not use to buying aftermarket cpu heatsinks/fans.

This is what I'm using on my 2600K to get to 4500Mhz

60 degrees c or so under 100% load 1.300V

http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-V...9965194&sr=8-2

With the budget you have, you should at least look into self contained water cooling systems made by Corsair and Antec. They perform as well as the high end air systems but do tend to be quieter and are pretty much Plug & Play.
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Does which heat sink matter?
    Yes, and why I directed you to ThermalRight. There are literally thousands of HSF's out there. There can be arguments about what is currently best but there is no argument that ThermalRights are and have been for years of the highest quality and performance I still use 5 year old ones.
    Take a look at them and then google some reviews. You should find many reviews quite easily of a multitude of HSF's By tomorrow morning you will be an expert.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I am kind of partial to the Zalman CNPS 10X

Here is a comparison chart to some of the better air coolers. (It is a little dated but gives you a good idea of whats going on with the coolers)

Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Look into Delta fans...

Like this one...
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net