A Froggy Welcome To

bman212121

to the

PC Perspective Folding Frogs
    Team 734

Congratulations on Your First Workunit!
    For team 734

Extreme Overclocking Signature Stat Counter

{IMG}{URL="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=563964"}{IMG}http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=563964[/img{/URL}{/IMG}

To use the counter above in your sig simple copy paste the code above to your profile -
    (USERCP/ edit signature) replacing the {} with [] It will make your signature image "clickable"

For more information on using and modifying your EOC Sig Stats Click Here

If u have any question's or anything folding related please feel free to post away.

Get to know your Team links

Thread for map additions
    If you want to be added to the map post in this thread with your
    Name,State,Zipcode and you will be added ASAP.

Links to some helpful Folding Tools

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=473284
    My "New Setup" Thread

Stanford serverstats
    Commonly used for problematic upload's or download's

Protein Summary
    Here you will find such things as Workunit point value's and deadline's.

Links to some Folding Monitor Programs

HFM.net

http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/

FahMon

http://fahmon.net/download.html

Links to different Stats pages

Personal Stanford stats
    Here you will find certificate's awarded to you from Stanford for WU's and points completed.

Stanford Team stats
    Here you can find Team Stats

Extreme Overclocking Stats
    Here you can find stats for different teams

Extreme Overclocking Personal Stats
    Here you can get your own personal stats

Join the official "Folding frogs" user group
    Click Here (Link)

Re: Another New Frog

Looks like bman212121 defected from another team

Please join me in welcoming a new Frog to the team

very very interesting

what brings you here bman? ah well, WELCOME ABOARD!

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Thanks for the welcome guys

I've been folding for a long time at nV News, but unfortunately the folding community is quite dead (never was a lot of interest). Riptide is the only nV News guy left.

I've always enjoyed reading the articles here and watching the podcasts, so it seems like a good community to join. I'd love to help you guys pass Rage3d!

Right now it's just 2 Q9400 SMP boxes, but I'm debating about throwing a bit more stuff online. It's cold in my office and rather than fighting to change the thermostat everyday, I'll just generate some extra heat. Those bigadv points look pretty tempting, so it would be a good time to stretch the legs on my i7 2600k.

Quote Originally Posted by bman212121 View Post
    <snip>

Right now it's just 2 Q9400 SMP boxes, but I'm debating about throwing a bit more stuff online. It's cold in my office and rather than fighting to change the thermostat everyday, I'll just generate some extra heat. Those bigadv points look pretty tempting, so it would be a good time to stretch the legs on my i7 2600k.
    And welcome again...

By the way a dedicated I7 2600k smp -bigadv on linux at 4.5 gig will get around 35000 PPD depending on work unit.

Thanks for the welcome guys

I've been folding for a long time at nV News, but unfortunately the folding community is quite dead (never was a lot of interest). Riptide is the only nV News guy left.

I've always enjoyed reading the articles here and watching the podcasts, so it seems like a good community to join. I'd love to help you guys pass Rage3d!

sounds nice, I'm not one to turn down 2 Q9400's

with the recent ppd cut by stanford, that 2600k won't net you quite what it used to, but its definitely worth throwing some bigadv its way. dedicated linux is the best option from a PPD standpoint, but I've been reading some talk about putting in on a linux VM within windows. Sounds like you get a nice hefty bonus over doing it on windows native. If you want more info on that I can point you in the right direction

Trust me, I do science

I'll probably just throw together a native linux install on gentoo for that box. Running W7 for the 2 quads and I'm guessing the difference for that is going to be minimal.

Might check this out too: http://www.linuxforge.net/docs/crunching/dc-pxe.php

I have tftp/pxe on a laptop so I might be able to push these clients out.

What's funny is that minecraft acts the same way. The server runs so much better in a VM on top of windows than it does natively. There definitely is room for improvement on their windows code.

Gentoo???? This guy can't be all that bad.

I tried to build a small cluster using Gentoo + an tftp. It worked pretty slick with a laptop I had at the time from work. But I couldn't get any motherboards with on-board nics to work. At the time I ended up doing some reading and found many manufacturers didn't follow proper PXE standards so it was hit & miss as far as getting to work. I probably would have had more success with higher end boards, but that would have put my hardware costs through the roof. In the end, I ended up abandoning the project just ran the test boards I had as individual computers.

I'll probably just throw together a native linux install on gentoo for that box. Running W7 for the 2 quads and I'm guessing the difference for that is going to be minimal.

Might check this out too: http://www.linuxforge.net/docs/crunching/dc-pxe.php

I have tftp/pxe on a laptop so I might be able to push these clients out.

What's funny is that minecraft acts the same way. The server runs so much better in a VM on top of windows than it does natively. There definitely is room for improvement on their windows code.
    well that sounds pretty sweet, but i'll warn you that if you start getting technical, i'll be lost pretty quick! Case in point, i'm running a pretty standard ubuntu install, followed a guide and it STILL didn't go 100% smooth
    Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    Gentoo???? This guy can't be all that bad.

I tried to build a small cluster using Gentoo + an tftp. It worked pretty slick with a laptop I had at the time from work. But I couldn't get any motherboards with on-board nics to work. At the time I ended up doing some reading and found many manufacturers didn't follow proper PXE standards so it was hit & miss as far as getting to work. I probably would have had more success with higher end boards, but that would have put my hardware costs through the roof. In the end, I ended up abandoning the project just ran the test boards I had as individual computers.
    I think at this point onboard NIC support is a lot better. my SR-2 uses Marvell 88E8057 PHYs and had no issue with NIC support on Ubuntu, and these are less common than your standard realtek chips

Trust me, I do science

The network card them selves actually worked well in Linux. Had the drivers all built into the kernel as I should. The problem was the network booting system on the card's bios. They weren't finding my PXE server properly and/or calling the boot image properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    The network card them selves actually worked well in Linux. Had the drivers all built into the kernel as I should. The problem was the network booting system on the card's bios. They weren't finding my PXE server properly and/or calling the boot image properly.
    ahh, yea i wouldn't know anything about that. sounds fun though

Trust me, I do science

Yeah it was a lot of fun...surprisingly I didn't go bald!

I know what you mean

Right now my Gentoo box is lacking support for my Realtek NIC, but the minimal install cd had the drivers for it. I was pressed for time so I just grabbed an Intel Pro 100S and put that into the box. They are like the universal fix because any OS in the past 10 years is going to have the driver built in for it.

Everything that I normally PXE is a prebuilt Dell or HP so they all work flawlessly. I'm sure it would get a bit harder to do that on some Nforce boards.

I know what you mean

Right now my Gentoo box is lacking support for my Realtek NIC, but the minimal install cd had the drivers for it. I was pressed for time so I just grabbed an Intel Pro 100S and put that into the box. They are like the universal fix because any OS in the past 10 years is going to have the driver built in for it.

Everything that I normally PXE is a prebuilt Dell or HP so they all work flawlessly. I'm sure it would get a bit harder to do that on some Nforce boards.
    I have a few intel NICs floating around as testers and in my home server. they seem to be pretty much the gold standard and they aren't super expensive

Trust me, I do science

First page, why not?

Going to slow down dramatically now though. Take a couple of days per person to pass.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...t.php?s=&t=734