Ghosting or WHaterver IT Is Called

Okay time for another noob question concerning HDDs......

With the permanent and untimely demise of both Celtic Spirit and KestrelFlight it appears I will be venturing into the dark side with an Alienware M18X.

Now the hardware related question(s).....I want to replace the "stock" 350GB HDD (Primary) with the G. Skill 120GB SSD that had been slated for the H2O version of KestrelFlight. How does one move everything from the 350 to the 120?

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Re: Ghosting or WHaterver IT Is Called

Easy.

(1) Back up everything
    (2) Delete unwanted files until the contents of the old hard disk has a total files size is just under the new hard disk size
    (3) Ghost the content to the new hard disk.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Ghosting is not that easy and theres too many different programs that do it.

You might run into issues from a platter drive to an SSD. Not sure.

If you can plug the hdd and ssd into a desktop just copy the files that way. You won't want to clone the data (ghost) because it won't align the drive correctly for an SSD. Just insall windows onto the SSD so it has the new partiton then you should be able to copy the files.

Quote Originally Posted by bman212121 View Post
    If you can plug the hdd and ssd into a desktop just copy the files that way. You won't want to clone the data (ghost) because it won't align the drive correctly for an SSD. Just insall windows onto the SSD so it has the new partiton then you should be able to copy the files.
    If we could just copy files like that there would be no need for ghost tools....
    The ghost tool is needed for the MBR to be replicated as well.

I use Linux dd command which is one of the oldest and simplest like

Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
    meaning data dump with the input file=device sda and output file=device sdb. The source is sda and the target is sdb.

It reads sector by sector from the source disk and write the same on the target disk. Thus it is not possible to clone a copy not 100% the mirror image of the original.

It works for any hard disk, with any OS and any number of them. I have cloned my Win7 from a 1.5Tb to a 128Gb SSD by reducing its footprint so that it could fit into the SSD.

The geometry of the target disk is changed to that of the original.

If people are happy to be milked for the simple operation of reading the binary bits of one hard disk and writing onto another in the exact order in the original disk it is their choice. The fact M$ systems have no such facility doesn't mean such a simple operation doesn't exist in other PC systems like Linux and Unix donkey years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by saikee View Post
    I use Linux dd command which is one of the oldest and simplest like

Code:
    meaning data dump with the input file=device sda and output file=device sdb. The source is sda and the target is sdb.

It reads sector by sector from the source disk and write the same on the target disk. Thus it is not possible to clone a copy not 100% the mirror image of the original.

It works for any hard disk, with any OS and any number of them. I have cloned my Win7 from a 1.5Tb to a 128Gb SSD by reducing its footprint so that it could fit into the SSD.

The geometry of the target disk is changed to that of the original.

If people are happy to be milked for the simple operation of reading the binary bits of one hard disk and writing onto another in the exact order in the original disk it is their choice. The fact M$ systems have no such facility doesn't mean such a simple operation doesn't exist in other PC systems like Linux and Unix donkey years ago.
    I find the best way to ghost is outside an OS.....
    Bootable ghost cd for example

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    I find the best way to ghost is outside an OS.....
    Bootable ghost cd for example
    This is done automatic in Linux which has its filing system in the ram but the original copy in the hard disk. Therefore you can dd the hard disk with Linux operating without any risk.

Generally it is a good idea to use a second OS to clone the first dormant OS. However dd actually works with the hardware level and the filing system is not involved.

The command
    Code:
    default to one record=one sector or 512 byes which is what a hard disk reads or writes in each operation. For a faster cloning we add block size parameter of
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=32256
    which is one complete track equal to 63 sector times 512 bytes.

If you use a proprietary software you don't know what is going on but in Linux everything is open source. Cloning with dd typifies how the M$ users have been milked for years for their ignorance for something so simple and fundamental.

I know very well of the benefits of Linux. But it still an OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    If we could just copy files like that there would be no need for ghost tools....
    The ghost tool is needed for the MBR to be replicated as well.
    HE is saying not to ghost....do a fresh install of the OS and then copy your files over to the new SSD. Iwould have to agree.