Question What is the replacement for NetBEUI in win7?

I was wondering if someone could answer this. This question regards avoiding the use of TCP/IP for file and print sharing by using the unsupported NetBEUI protocol. Many people will install NetBEUI for the File transfer protocol and then unbind the TCP/IP Protocol so your data is not accessible by someone on the net.

the NetBEUI is a simple protocol that is based on local computers names (no IPs addresses like TCP/IP).Since it does not use the IP system it is not Routable to the Internet and works great on smaller networks for file and print sharing, but not on large networks. The performance is great on small networks, but has the opposite effect on larger networks and slows them down.

So my question is, what is being used as a substitute in windows 7, and vista for using File and print sharing without binding it to TCP/IP?

Re: What is the replacement for NetBEUI in win7?

There isn't one as private address ranges or local network suffixes combined with firewalls have made it unnecessary to run another network protocol in parallel.

Question Re: What is the replacement for NetBEUI in win7?

I see,
    So I guess something like 192.168.0.1 would be considered a privet IP? I know they're called local, or sub IPs, I just never heard of them referred to as privet but it makes total sense.
    Just curious though, if you open a port for a server that shares a folder on the system, isn't it still safer using a none routable protocol? Or it still doesn't matter?
    Last edited by Starstreams; 07-31-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Re: What is the replacement for NetBEUI in win7?

Private Addresses are mentioned in the rfc's, such as rfc 1918 from 1996.

if you open a port for a server that shares a folder on the system, isn't it still safer using a none routable protocol? Or it still doesn't matter?
    You wouldn't be able to do that with netbeui without tcp/ip as its non-routable. ( The closest thing to this would be bridging network segments, but thats still in the private network.)

Also most current services will not bind to netbios frame protocol (NBF), as they're tcp/ip based services.

It mostly around for legacy and alternative to using DNS or host files for name resolution.
    Last edited by Bryan; 08-08-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Thumbs up Re: What is the replacement for NetBEUI in win7?

Very informative, Thanks for the lesson Bryan!

I appreciate it, I understand now!