Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

So how many of you nerds dropped your Cable TV service?

I finally made the decision today.
    I haven't watched broadcast TV in years, and switched to YouTube, Hulu, and *other* downloading services.
    By the time it's all said and done, I only saved $10/month because Comcast jacks up the cost of internet when you don't subscribe to TV service. It's not much, but I could just just subscribe to Netflix Streaming with the money I saved, and I think I'd probably get more out of that than I would with broadcast TV. Despite their price increase, Netflix seems to be well worth the price. especially if you're picky when it comes to purchasing movies and always insist on trying before you buy.

Too many hospital and cop dramas that all seem to have the same bland characters, too many reality shows, cable news just plain sucks. I feel like TV has really reduced itself to the lowest common denominator, and I really think that it's doomed to go the way of the dinosaurs in favor of more streaming and on demand services.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

Re: So how many of you nerds dropped your Cable TV service?

I dropped Directv service about 3 months ago. So far I haven't missed it, or especially the $90.00 a month bill from it at all. I don't watch nearly as much tv as my wife does, who lives btw for all of those stupid shows you mentioned Justin. God, how I detest them.

What I used to have with Directv were two HD-Dvr's and a bunch (and I mean a bunch) of channels I never watched. What I did was buy a HD Tivo Series 3 off of Ebay to record all of the local OTA channels. The picture is even better than what we got from Directv due to the lack of compression. I get all the channels easily from the 70's era rooftop antenna that the previous homeowner left up there.

Anything that we used to watch off the cable channels I buy from Amazon. Each episode costs $1.89. A high price to be sure, but even if I buy 150 (doubtful I'll get that many) shows a year and pay the monthly Tivo service fee, I'm still saving hundreds of dollars a year and I'm not locked into any stupid contracts like I was with Directv.
    Beware liberals with guns.

I would do this if it wasn't for sports. I'm addicted to baseball, and I don't know what I'd do with the Milwaukee Brewers.

MLB.TV is an awesome IPTV service provided by Major League Baseball that lets you watch any game live and even games as far back as 2004. It even has games in HD! It's $120 for the whole season, which is a bit steep, but I'd be willing to pay it. The problem is that the local team's games are blocked on the service for up to 24 hours after they're played. Local blackout rules and whatnot.

If it was for the Brew Crew, I would of cut the cable long ago.

I pay for Hulu Plus and I regularly rent stuff on Amazon VOD. I could live without cable if it wasn't for the sports. If I ever moved outside of the Milwaukee area, I'd be golden because I could get Brewers games live on MLB.TV.

Dropped Directv 3+ years ago...bunch of crooks that will never get my business again.

I may need to get cable eventually for decent net speeds, but will never spend money for any premium programing.

I love the HD cable on my 61" TV but I could probably live without cable but I doubt my family could. I pay like $140 for HD cable, 1 DVR, 5/1 internet and digital phone. I wouldn't mind trimming that down but ...
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

They wouldn't roll out cable for it in Auckland. It was dropped before rolling it out. Though we are getting faster Internet later.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    I would do this if it wasn't for sports. I'm addicted to baseball, and I don't know what I'd do with the Milwaukee Brewers.

MLB.TV is an awesome IPTV service provided by Major League Baseball that lets you watch any game live and even games as far back as 2004. It even has games in HD! It's $120 for the whole season, which is a bit steep, but I'd be willing to pay it. The problem is that the local team's games are blocked on the service for up to 24 hours after they're played. Local blackout rules and whatnot.

If it was for the Brew Crew, I would of cut the cable long ago.

I pay for Hulu Plus and I regularly rent stuff on Amazon VOD. I could live without cable if it wasn't for the sports. If I ever moved outside of the Milwaukee area, I'd be golden because I could get Brewers games live on MLB.TV.
    I could 110% live without cable TV if it wasn't for sports. Like you're saying, i'm in-market for the Mets, and don't get fantastic reception here for the NY football giants, plus having ESPN is nice. otherwise I barely watch the damn thing. luckily i'm getting a killer deal from verizon on fios right now so having a fairly comprehensive TV package with HD and DVR is only costing me roughly 30$ on top of my internet

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    They wouldn't roll out cable for it in Auckland. It was dropped before rolling it out. Though we are getting faster Internet later.
    That must be why the Australian and New Zealand women are so attractive, no TV.

You go to Australia, go to the beach, it's like invasion of the sexy zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    That must be why the Australian and New Zealand women are so attractive, no TV.

You go to Australia, go to the beach, it's like invasion of the sexy zombies.
    I blame tv, call centers, and no exercise. The women my wife work with at a call center are the size of houses. All they do is eat pot luck all day.
    Beware liberals with guns.

Kinda because of no TV. I think it's other things.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    Kinda because of no TV. I think it's other things.
    Admit it, you think Americans are fat and stupid.

I love both my Comcast and my Directv services! I am a little bit partial to my Comcast only for the On Demand tho. I love being able to watch whatever I want when I want.

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    I love both my Comcast and my Directv services! I am a little bit partial to my Comcast only for the On Demand tho. I love being able to watch whatever I want when I want.
    Your opinion is invalid! You work for the cable company!

Never installed Cable or Sat at my house. Last year I even gave away my 'main' TV I had.

I havnt had cable in awhile.

I still have tv's in the living room and each bedroom but i just stream to them now.

Cable tv is garbage and if i want to watch something i can find it online.

Played sports in high school, but never really liked to just sit there and watch someone else play them. So i dont miss that part of cable to much.