Recommend me a sound card that can do this.

Hi guys,

I bought the Roccat Kave 5.1 for games (they are great, a bit heavy, but great) and I have a cheap 2.1 speakers for listening to stuff when I am not in front of the PC. I am no audiophile by any means, but I can hear nosie from my Realtek onboard sound when listening to headphones - and yes, the mic ports are muted. Besides, jack retasking feature doesn't work with this Realtek 892 chip for me. So currently I have the speakers plugged into the front port. (If retasking worked, I could have plugged it to the blue free port) Like I said, I don't need great quality audio out of the speakers (I cannot turn them up anyways) but I don't want any crackling sounds.

And I don't want to plug the damn speakers to the front audio port! It is disgusting. Not for the audio quality, not for the looks, but for the ports on the RV03 not liking the stereo jacks. They don't seem to stuck in all the time. I lose the right audio once in a while, and I have to push it in again. >_<

So basically I am looking for a sound card that does the following.

1. 5.1 surround + stereo from direct ports out of the sound card. (I know I will have to connect the speakers to the headphone jack, but there is no other option, other than buying speakers with a digital in right? And they aren't seen on cheap speakers)
    From what I read, the X-Fi Titanium does support 5.1 + headphones using the 7.1 outputs. Is that true? I don't need headphone and speakers outputting at the same time, but I don't want to mess with the plugs every time I need to switch the output)

Does Xonar DX or D2X support this feature? Because, THEY say Xonars sound better (while I may not be an audiophile, I wouldn't mind getting the most out of the Kaves) and Creative drivers are crap. (except I don't know how those PAX drivers work) Also, there is a Audiotrak PRODIGY 7.1e X-Fi card with a dedicated headphone jack, but that uses X-Fi Extreme Audio chip, not the real DSP based X-Fi chip.

2. PCI-E connectivity as if I buy a second graphics card, the sound card will be smack in between the two graphics cards and the top graphics card's fan will be disrupted. God help the sound card too! XD

Also note that I can get a second hand Titanium for less than a Xonar DX or half the price of a D2X. (as I cannot find second hand DXs or D2X, but D1 is there but that's PCI)

Or can someone recommend me a solution? I would definitely buy a sound card anyway. Need to kill two birds with one stone.

Re: Recommend me a sound card that can do this.

ok I have a suggestion , its not a inexpensive one, but I dont know your buget. I suggest a HT Omega E-Clario
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271006
    I have one myself and just love it. I tryed going the cheeper route with some creative products and regreated it . Yea the card is expensive , but IMO worth every cent. Great sound , stable drivers . What more could one want in a card ?
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Unfortunately, I cannot find any HT Omega cards over here in Japan.

since i am not worried about the audio out of the speakers, i might buy a new card dedicated to the headset, and use the onboard chip for the speakers.

Whatever satisfies you the most I think.

settled for a X-Fi Titanium with PAX drivers + stereo splitter for speakers and headset's front channels. Got the card for a about $50 as I had $40 worth points from the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Anusha View Post
    settled for a X-Fi Titanium with PAX drivers + stereo splitter for speakers and headset's front channels. Got the card for a about $50 as I had $40 worth points from the shop.
    XFI ?
    I would rather take a beating and run onboard sound then mess with another sound blabber product ! LOL
    Guess you will learn like Me, The hard way !
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    XFI ?
    I would rather take a beating and run onboard sound then mess with another sound blabber product ! LOL
    Guess you will learn like Me, The hard way !
    Only issue I ran into with my xfi was the problem between OpenAL based games an X fis X-RAM carried on cards like mine. It causes lock ups and freezes in most of these games. The solution, and trust me this took me a while to find out, was finally a reg hack to disable the xram and then the xfi worked perfectly

In fact right now probably the oldest part in my system along with the secondary hdds is the xfi, and all modern games still take advantage of hardware based sound.

gamerk2 is offline Self-Professed Audio Guru

1. 5.1 surround + stereo from direct ports out of the sound card. (I know I will have to connect the speakers to the headphone jack, but there is no other option, other than buying speakers with a digital in right? And they aren't seen on cheap speakers)
    If I'm reading this right, you want to have BOTH a 5.1 analog headset AND a set of analog desktop speakers hooked up at the same time, without having to re-wire which device you want to use?

The ASUS Xonar Xense and HT Omega Claro XT are the only two cards I know of with BOTH the standard PC 7.1 analog outputs [for your 5.1 headset] and a seperate stereo headphone output [in this case, for your speakers]. In this case, you would select which output you wanted to use via the soundcards driver control panel ["analog" for the headset, and "headphone" for the speakers, using this setup].

Alternativly, you could have the headset plugged into a soundcard, and the speakers plugged into the onboard audio output, and change the output device via the Windows Control Panel if you want to swap. One device would still be on onboard audio, but you would save on the soundcard, as cheaper models [ASUS Xonar D1/DX, HT Omega Striker, HT Omega Claro+, and Auzentech Meridian 2G] can now be used instead of getting a device only because it has two seperate analog output paths.

i gave up this quest. wend with the splitter. my speakers are no good anyways, to worry that much about it. i turn off the speakers when i play games and use only the headset. so the speakers do not interfere with the headset. (i think! turning off the speakers == having an infinite impedance? probably not, but better than having them turned ON i guess.