Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Re: kinda miss the old ways

My sis who lives north of Boston had an HP that kept powering down. It was obviously a heat problem. She had spent hours with HP support to no avail and decided to call me. After hearing her problem I told her to take the side cover off and point a fan to the inside of the case. Problem was solved and then we found a dead fan. I learned about heat problems by reading mountains of problems on this site that were solved by a community of helpful experts. AMDMB used to be the first site I signed onto everyday to check what problems would be solved that day. I also like this site because everyone was friendly and helped total strangers. I do miss the days when computers were relatively new to most people who decided to build their own and came here to find a fix. It was exciting to go out and buy a bunch of parts that could be assembled so the whole family could surf the internet or run programs of their choice. The planning was fun too, especially reading all the reviews. It was pretty cool to sit back and see what you had done with all those parts. I think these days it's all taken for granted but I still get a kick out of assembling those parts and hitting the power button the first time. It's a blast. Everything is kind of anti climatic after that. I think most computer hobbyists like to build their own and get a kick out of the accomplishment. Even though this site has cooled down it has a legacy of the knowledge that was spread to thousands of computer builders who have helped friends and neighbors with their computers for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    we were all hoping.

Any Bulldozer rumors?

not the bump in overall performance that we had with phenom. i might have been able to justify(in my mind ) to update my folding rig but....

CPU folding on the new AMD FX 8150

windwithme has a nice comparison.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T versus FX-8120 Performance Guide

ud
    Thank you. That was a really informative review/comparison
    on the new chip compared with the Phenom II.

Old woman on computer.

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    I miss the old PcPer . The motherboard section has subsections of different brands . This hodgepoge mess of all jumpled into one sections is for the birds IMO . Dimishes the reason for posting here . Anyone else agree !
    sound off!!
    It's unfortunate. I've spent near a decade browsing and posting on this site, and the decline over the past few years has been rough.

But, as others have already pointed out, times change. And the site tried to change with them and drive more traffic. It didn't work, but it's nobody's fault really. Computers practically build themselves now, and the only real sites I see with a lot of traffic are the overclocking ones.

As a former mod, I enjoyed my time here, and hope that there is a revitalization period in store for it. I miss the old Dragon 266 motherboards; they were a challenge to be sure, and i also remember logging in for breakfast, lunch and dinner and seeing an entire page of new posts.
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy983 View Post
    It's unfortunate. I've spent near a decade browsing and posting on this site, and the decline over the past few years has been rough.

But, as others have already pointed out, times change. And the site tried to change with them and drive more traffic. It didn't work, but it's nobody's fault really. Computers practically build themselves now, and the only real sites I see with a lot of traffic are the overclocking ones.

As a former mod, I enjoyed my time here, and hope that there is a revitalization period in store for it. I miss the old Dragon 266 motherboards; they were a challenge to be sure, and i also remember logging in for breakfast, lunch and dinner and seeing an entire page of new posts.
    Sometimes I posted more then worked. Soon enough sff(tablet or like) will take over, the writing is on the wall. I have always enjoyed the site, no real reason to OC anymore, it was always a great place to learn, teach, and share a few laughs.
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    Sometimes I posted more then worked. Soon enough sff(tablet or like) will take over, the writing is on the wall. I have always enjoyed the site, no real reason to OC anymore, it was always a great place to learn, teach, and share a few laughs.
    Then there were the BF2 nights
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

no doubt, that turned into 2142 nights that was my fondest memory of online gaming thus far.

oh i wasted so much time
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    no doubt, that turned into 2142 nights that was my fondest memory of online gaming thus far.

oh i wasted so much time
    Even with BF3 here I still find myself missing BF2142 sometimes. Of course there's the rumor of a possible Battlefield 2143. That's something that will definitely be on my Christmas list!

Here is an Easter egg found on Wake Island in BF3:
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy983 View Post

I miss it too - and most certainly yours and Andy's, as well as ElectricBills contributions to the Soyo forums I spent many months and days enjoying the postings and reading about tech specs and builds. AMDMB was legend back in the day. I can still remember marveling at my Kt266a D+ mobo with cmedia onboard sound playing RTCW also remember the Shuttle AN35N / Biostar M7NCDP threads.

IMO all that is lost eventually comes back around again (a life philosophy). Maybe in a different form (so to speak,) but i think even though this site changed, and IMO not really for the best in a few respects, it still has a vast treasure trove of technical information that's more or less site specific, and who is to say it will not once again be the popular site it once was? it can be of course. I have very high regards for this site, and even though i don't visit much anymore it's not really because of the changes here but was because of the changes in my own life

People grow up, move on and priorities change. I do miss how it was a decade ago though

Bring back the green and white!

Spoiler!

Fortunately it is not the sites fault that posts are down.

Most manufactures are producing working parts that also work with other manufactures stuff.

Like many others this site was the first thing I checked in the morning and took an hour to read the new posts.

I couldn't even figure out how to buy a good OEM computer so when I started building the site was a godsend.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

where do these idiots come from^^^^
    asrock x370 taichi,16g gskill flarex3200 wd250mu 3wdblack 1 tera
    Asrock 990FX FX8120 8G Gskill 2133 2x WD2T 6.0 pc p+c 950w
    Asrock 890FX 1090t 2x4 Gskill 1866 RipJaw WD 1T 6.0 mushkin 850w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 8 Gskill RipJaw 1866 WD1T 6.0 ocz 750 w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 2x4 Gskill Rip Jaw 1600 Ocz evo720
    DFI 790FXB M2RSH PII 955 2x1Gskill 1600 Saph 4670 Ocz Evo 720W
    DFI 790FXM2RS PII 720 2x1gig Gskill 1600 Sapphire HD3400
    DFI Lp ultra D SLI Opti 148@300x10 @33c 1 gig Crucial ballistix 4000

Yeah, the old days were pretty good - I'm thinking back to the first AMD project - that was in 1999 with I believe a Slot A Athlon with an Epox motherboard - that was over 10 years ago. A7V266E and A7V333X come to mind. Built a few, the last one in early 2006 and in it's day was a monster. Still running the blasted thing. Looking for a successor, will still use the Lian Li case and probably the power supply and most likely the liquid cooling system. Test them with MadOnion - when I started my rigs cranked out under 5000 score, this one will pump out 50,000+ and it's a relic by today's standards.

Time for a hardware update and move into Win 7 64 bit.

It'll be a nice change that things actually work now days.
    Last edited by SteveW; 08-03-2012 at 10:24 PM.

well I did not know whan i started this thead their would be such a good following , but for all the positive responces to change it back it still goes unchanged by the people in charge . sad . so many good posters lost over the years
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Probably just a case if Ryan doing what it takes to pay the bills.