Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: kinda miss the old ways

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    i had a couple of soyo boards too, lot of motherboard manufacturers went bye -bye...sort of sad to see less competition....its like everything today, just a few huge companies like walmart, which i hate
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by richardd43 View Post
    My guess is Asus and Gigabyte are the 2 most popular boards.

How about an Asus folder, a Gigabyte folder and one for all others?
    might as well hang it up. Their not going to even consider changing or even listen . Thats why so many have went elsewhere . Including Me Bye !
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

I think one reason for fewer posts is the result of the MB manufacturers getting their boards out the door with better drivers than 10-12 years ago. I can remember when the K7M came out there were problems but the A8N series of boards when overclocked too far the bios could get damaged to the point of having to order a new programmed bios chip. That problem happened on other boards besides ASUS. It was also easy for someone who used the wrong cpu cooler to chip off a corner of the cpu which could make it inoperable. The message boards here were hopping in those days. I think Microsoft has helped to eliminate errors by shipping a lot of drivers with the OS. Windows XP and WIndows 7 have made it easy to install the OS and there have been fewer blue screens. It seems like today I can buy memory from several different vendors and it works great. Video cards and drivers seem to be much more compatible these days. I also think a lot of people have become more experienced with building a PC so they don't need the help like they used to. If you look at some of the active forums on the interenet they're usually fighting over videos card vendors or games.

I will say one thing about this site I like. Anyone can ask a question or provide help and it's always in a friendly way. It doesn't happen like that on every hardware forum on the interent.

I agree with the better hardware/driver theory.

A few years ago you could come in hourly and see a lot of new posts. Now you can check weekly and be caught up in short order.

I have learned a heck of a lot about computers here and have helped a few get their equipment running correctly.

Thanks to the manufactures we are all experiencing a lot less problems.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Looey View Post
    I think one reason for fewer posts is the result of the MB manufacturers getting their boards out the door with better drivers than 10-12 years ago. I can remember when the K7M came out there were problems but the A8N series of boards when overclocked too far the bios could get damaged to the point of having to order a new programmed bios chip. That problem happened on other boards besides ASUS. It was also easy for someone who used the wrong cpu cooler to chip off a corner of the cpu which could make it inoperable. The message boards here were hopping in those days. I think Microsoft has helped to eliminate errors by shipping a lot of drivers with the OS. Windows XP and WIndows 7 have made it easy to install the OS and there have been fewer blue screens. It seems like today I can buy memory from several different vendors and it works great. Video cards and drivers seem to be much more compatible these days. I also think a lot of people have become more experienced with building a PC so they don't need the help like they used to. If you look at some of the active forums on the interenet they're usually fighting over videos card vendors or games.

I will say one thing about this site I like. Anyone can ask a question or provide help and it's always in a friendly way. It doesn't happen like that on every hardware forum on the interent.
    i had joined anatech awhile back, you got to be careful posting there, becaue they will jump on ya in a heartbeat for just wondering off the rules a tad....lots of rude folks there
    #1-i5-3570k -asus sabertooth p67- asus r9 290
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-asus M5A97-evga gtx 260
    #3-amd phenom II x2 560 (4 cores enabled) -BIOSTAR TA880GB -evga gtx 260
    #4-amd fx-6300- GA-990FXA-UD3-gigabyte -evga gtx 660
    #5-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Quote Originally Posted by richardd43 View Post
    I agree with the better hardware/driver theory.

A few years ago you could come in hourly and see a lot of new posts. Now you can check weekly and be caught up in short order.

I have learned a heck of a lot about computers here and have helped a few get their equipment running correctly.

Thanks to the manufactures we are all experiencing a lot less problems.
    I second this. I just put together a system yesterday and it was unbelievably easy compared to the last one it did about 8 years ago. It literally only took me a few hours and most of that was unattended, Win7 installing itself. And overclocking? Who needs to with a quad-core and lots of memory? This thing is way faster than I need without OC'ing.
    Brian

Yes,
    If you are progressing and not just sitting still things will change.

I look back on "The good old day's" on this forum with fond memories.

There was hardly a day that passed when there wasnt someone you could try and help get their system running/stable and for that I thank Ryan and the rest of the staff for providing this place for us all to get together and learn from one another.

As for the name change: Give it up allready!!! The decision was not yours to make, you gots to pay the cost to be the boss.

My days of tinkering with hardware ended some time ago as different life responsibilities and events have a way of adjusting your priorities .

Most of the computer issues I deal with are all virus/internet security related.
    I do alot of remote login and repairs all over the country and it is a very rare occasion to have someone with hardware issues.

Also, to me hardware has gotten much more stable, and software driver and compatability is pretty much automatic these days..

I sure loved the energy here when this place was rockin back in the day and its good to see some of you and remember the names.

Lets just remember all the fine times we have been blessed with having here.

Laterz,
    dafanman

Click on Pic for Dafanman's Specs

Forum Rules
    Gigabyte New Owners Guide
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Quote Originally Posted by DaFanMan View Post
    Yes,
    If you are progressing and not just sitting still things will change.

I look back on "The good old day's" on this forum with fond memories.

There was hardly a day that passed when there wasnt someone you could try and help get their system running/stable and for that I thank Ryan and the rest of the staff for providing this place for us all to get together and learn from one another.

As for the name change: Give it up allready!!! The decision was not yours to make, you gots to pay the cost to be the boss.

My days of tinkering with hardware ended some time ago as different life responsibilities and events have a way of adjusting your priorities .

Most of the computer issues I deal with are all virus/internet security related.
    I do alot of remote login and repairs all over the country and it is a very rare occasion to have someone with hardware issues.

Also, to me hardware has gotten much more stable, and software driver and compatability is pretty much automatic these days..

I sure loved the energy here when this place was rockin back in the day and its good to see some of you and remember the names.

Lets just remember all the fine times we have been blessed with having here.

Laterz,
    dafanman
    I guess we'll see you in another 10-12 months then?

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I guess we'll see you in another 10-12 months then?
    That is entirely possible

Forum Rules
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

That is entirely possible
    I guess as long as management doesn't care if some of the mods are hardly ever around I won't worry about it either. Still, I've never seen a forum anywhere that's fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I guess as long as management doesn't care if some of the mods are hardly ever around I won't worry about it either. Still, I've never seen a forum anywhere that's fine with that.
    Well how cool is that if you are not worried about it perhaps we can get back on topic.

Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday weekend

Laterz,
    dafanman

Forum Rules
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

By the way, If you prefer ambmb.com. go to your CP and select legacy, Nice green and grey.

I too miss the old days, so many problems, chipset drivers, overclockable bioses, problems with video driver updates , not to mention bad capacitors. All problems of the past. Even in the K8 days, (when I joined up) most problems were related to the chipset, ie a solution that worked for one manufacturers board would work on another if it had the same chipset. Not many noticed as they were in their own board forum.
    Those were heady days, learning how to deal with all that new hardware, dual channels, AGP2 to pci-e, bios based overclocking and memory settings. They are still using the same methods now, and most new people in pc's either don't know or care, or the boards just overclock themselves now adays. Most people know their way around now, and problems are much rarer

Not sorry that brothergc left, his impatience is legendary, maybe 20 boards the last few years, lately though he has been perfectly happy with his purchases. He doesn't need us any more, but I hope he has fun and passes on what he learned here elsewhere.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I still have my gigabyte NF2 board......may just have to put it back in service some day.

It hasnt been that long ago that I finally was able to move up to a multi core stystem and Pci-e video.

And like was stated earlier overclocking is not a consideration for me any more, these days I just need my computers to work when I tell them to

Sure were some good times though and a wealth of knowledge was obtained from being part of that whole era in computing hardware.

Happy labor day to all

Laterz,
    dafanman

Forum Rules
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Well how cool is that if you are not worried about it perhaps we can get back on topic.

Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday weekend

Laterz,
    dafanman
    Actually, this IS on topic. Back in the "old days", I don't remember any mods that would only show up and post once a year or so. It's hardly what I'd consider moderating. Now though the general consensus among the management here regarding this issue seems to be "meh". I get that you have everything figured out with your computer fanman, and I understand that you just aren't into computers as much as you were before so therefore you don't visit here hardly ever anymore, so I'm just gonna come right out and ask it. Because of this, do you really think you should be moderating at a computer hardware site that you rarely visit and post at?

I certainly agree that the reliability and speed of systems has increased so much that there is just not much to "bitch" about any longer!
    These forums were full of overclocking failures, beta bios's, modded cpu's, etc, just to get that last bit of performance out of the rig. Now with most cpus starting at the 3-gig mark, the need to overclock is much less, except for extreme users.
    I built my current rig 2 1/2 years ago, with a Phenom 2 940, and it still does everything I want it to. I have upgraded the vid card a few times, and recently went with a SSD for the boot drive, but it is almost boring.