Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: kinda miss the old ways

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I guess as long as management doesn't care if some of the mods are hardly ever around I won't worry about it either. Still, I've never seen a forum anywhere that's fine with that.
    This really belongs in the suggestions section. But a lot of us are here 2 or 3 times every day, we dont always post just because we are here. We are often taking care of other mod duties, like banning spammers, and trimming threads. There is certainly no need for us to chime in on every subject, that is not a mod's job. If someone has a question that we can help with, that is where you will see us posting.

kbohip: Sigh... you sure seem to want to have an issue dont you.

Tell you what, how about you dont worry about how often I visit or post for you have no idea how often I look in on the forum and as for posting that again is not your concern.

With regards to your apparent problem of me being a moderator here, well.... that is something you are just going to have to take up with "the management"

I am done discussing this with you sir because at the end of the day I really dont care what you like or dont.

Good day and have yourself a good life.

Laterz,
    dafanman

Click on Pic for Dafanman's Specs

Forum Rules
    Gigabyte New Owners Guide
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Quote Originally Posted by DaFanMan View Post
    kbohip: Sigh... you sure seem to want to have an issue dont you.

Tell you what, how about you dont worry about how often I visit or post for you have no idea how often I look in on the forum and as for posting that again is not your concern.

With regards to your apparent problem of me being a moderator here, well.... that is something you are just going to have to take up with "the management"

I am done discussing this with you sir because at the end of the day I really dont care what you like or dont.

Good day and have yourself a good life.

Laterz,
    dafanman
    Sorry for taking what I had to say to you the wrong way fanman. I should have been more clear that I've never thought you were a bad mod or anything like that. On the contrary, I think you're a nice guy and (back when you used to post here) did a fine job of moderating. As far as what you and John say about what you (and the other missing mods) may or may not do moderating in the background, I can't comment on as I can't see that. I go by what I can see, and by the mods I know very well around here who are on all the time helping people out with their questions or keeping Scooter and otoc from killing each other. As for the ghost mods? It doesn't speak well for a forum when even the moderators aren't even interested enough in the place to post anymore.

This thread is a great example of everything that's wrong with this forum. It started with another longtime member who was merely voicing his opinion that he was unhappy with the new setup of the motherboard forum, and as has been the case so many times before, the mods telling him that the new way is better, all the while ignoring the fact that the other longtime members agreed with him. It ends like it usually does with the forums losing yet another longtime member who used to post quite frequently and was very helpful to people.

Quote Originally Posted by dafanman
    I really dont care what you like or dont.
    This is your prerogative to be sure, but ignoring the advice and opinions of the people who are active in here the most is ill-advised, for in the end, we ARE the forum, or at least what's left of it. It seems to be what AMDMB has evolved into though, and is probably why there's so little activity here anymore.

These forums were full of overclocking failures, beta bios's, modded cpu's, etc
    Between my wife and I, we have 4 computers. 2 for work and 2 for play.

In the basement I have another computer that I experiment on. Most any failure on it is operator inflicted and to keep from embarrassing myself I don't mention them here.

Getting back to the original thread I was a little miffed when they made the change but as time went buy I don't even notice it any more.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Thanks for reminding me of the pencil trick to unlock the Athlon and Duron cpus. Now that took some imagination.

What do you want from us kbohip? Moderators have absolutely no power as it relates to the running of this site. As to the mystery mods, if you don't see them how can it bother you. It is the members who make the site. Moderators just get rid of the spam, and calm people down if possible when people get overwrought. Otherwise we are members, and can contribute if we have some knowledge or not. We are not the site, You Are.

Things have changed a lot since I first came here 7 years ago. I am different, the site is different, AMD is different, computers are different, the country and the world are different. Most likely everyone is different then they were back then.

When I first came here PCPer was still adjusting to the name change. AMDMB was one of the few AMD sites and the group was tight in their interest, learning and sharing about Athlons. Some members left because of the name change. K8's brought a whole new surge of members doing the same thing. We could care less about the name change, but we were the same as as the older members. Proud of our AMD motherboards and processors. I had a great time, learning and overclocking in the Chaintech Forum. The enthusiasm of Uncle Bob and uddarts caused me to bond with the site, most likely for life, even though things are very different now. Chaintech and most of the other small AMD board makers disappeared. Look up the old MB forum, they are gone now. There were hardly any postings there. About as many as are here. AMD lost their edge and intel became dominate, even here, but passion for intel is rare thing. You can get info on Asus, and Gigabyte almost any where. AMD is plug and play now, about as interesting as intel. Now adays all boards are basically the same. One bios maker, 2 chipset makers, one sound chip maker (anyone remember when sound was a big hassle) no problems. (oops, intel had one lately, but was reworked before people had any problems.) That equals no lively discussion, no learning, no sharing. Like I said earlier a solution that works on one works on all.

Money is tight, jobs are tight, and overshadow computer enthusiasm for a great number of people. I hope someday the spark will light again and the computer world will get interesting, but they basically are commodities right now.

I would hope that a site that gives mature advice from older and younger people and that doesn't insult people looking for help has a place on the internet.

PS, If I had my way anyone with intel in their profile or sig would be banned. Not useful I know, but I still have a passion for AMD.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

The way I see it is not as many people "build" computers anymore. It is almost a black art again. With Walmart selling systems for $500 it just seems to some people to be more practical to buy a system then build one. Back in the "good ol' days" it was far cheaper to build then buy. With Companies like Falcon Northwest and Alienware charging 6k for systems back in the day. I too have all the systems I have built over the years with most still in running form. My Nf7-s system is still in use as a web surfing Machine for my wife. I also have a Kt7a raid system running as a file server and actually am typing this on it. I have a EpoX 8 krai pro via kt 880 that runs Ubuntu 11.04 perfectly. I have another kt7a raid system in the closet also a Kv8 pro. I have 2 a7n8x boards and a Soyo kt 600 Dragon plus v2 board. With these old boards I do like to be able to dig in the old threads about them. The Systems that are in use I know just about all there is to know about them but the other boards I may get back in running order someday and would like to read more about some of the issues they may have had. It was easier when the threads where broke down by manufacturer.

Also TheGlasMan, I am right there with you on the Amd deal. The passion runs deep. I won't even allow a intel system in my house. Don't know why just don't. Guess it's kinda like the Ford Chevy deal.
    Last edited by ThE_MaD_ShOt; 09-08-2011 at 07:26 PM.

I tell ya I really miss:

Back in the day when "Computer Shopper" magazine was as thick as a phone book.... each month!!!

When PC Video games were booming.

How many of ya'll remember 3dfx? and how many remember when they used to put out a magazine??

those were good times right there.

Laterz,
    dafanman

Forum Rules
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Right there with you buddy. The Voodoo cards. I still have about 10 or so issues of computer shopper from back then. Also have all issues of Max pc from mid 99 to the end of 05. My first system I built was a K62 333 system running a Ati rage vid card. Also remember the Nvidia Riva tnt cards?

Quote Originally Posted by DaFanMan View Post
    I tell ya I really miss:

Back in the day when "Computer Shopper" magazine was as thick as a phone book.... each month!!!

When PC Video games were booming.

How many of ya'll remember 3dfx? and how many remember when they used to put out a magazine??

those were good times right there.

Laterz,
    dafanman

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    PS, If I had my way anyone with intel in their profile or sig would be banned. Not useful I know, but I still have a passion for AMD.
    Hehe
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

agree, things have changed. look at all the computer magazines that went out of business-computer shopper, pc magazine, etc..if fact, in 2008 , the recession caused 525 magazines to go out of business, luxury spending became tight.
    '
    brothergc , my feelings are that he became irritated when the sub-forums went , and that bothered him badly...real bad.....i agree with one thread here, maybe 3 sub forums- msi, asus , gigabyte, and others...i would like to see that...i miss brothergc, he was getting lots of new hardware all the time, and it was like getting daily reviews from him..not sure where he took off too.....will miss him here, long time member
    #1-i5-3570k -asus sabertooth p67- asus r9 290
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-asus M5A97-evga gtx 260
    #3-amd phenom II x2 560 (4 cores enabled) -BIOSTAR TA880GB -evga gtx 260
    #4-amd fx-6300- GA-990FXA-UD3-gigabyte -evga gtx 660
    #5-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post

I'm still using AMD!
    Brian

Kinda off topic, but still relates back to the old days of computing:

I just did a service call yesterday on a laptop with vista on it and a 250gb hard drive and get this...... some one had changed the hard drive properties to use disk compression

Who does that anymore????

Laterz,
    dafanman

Forum Rules
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    I'm still using AMD!
    Me too, AMD Fan Boy all the way....its just gotten so that I'm not working on computers anymore, just using them.

I have a 939 machine running XP 64 and it is about the oldest 64 bit machines, I have some Socket A' with XP but I don't run them anymore.

I really needed the Motherboard help in the early days. I did not know about the newer format.

For the record..... I DON'T LIKE IT!

Also for the record and now matter how many times it is shot down

AMDMB FOREVER!
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

Now that I have that out of my system

I sure do miss the ULI boards, I had good times with them.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.