Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandy Bridge E

Sandy Bridge E

Since we have all the AMD nerds here talking about Bull-don't-er ( ), we need a thread for discussion of Intel's next high-performance chips.

A Turkish website is reporting that Intel will release the Sandy Bridge E chips on November 15.

Re: Sandy Bridge E

Kevin,

You do know of this sites history right?

So that means no discussion of Intel processors allowed? Besides, I'm just giving you guys a hard time.

Disappointed Intel is switching to LGA 2011 with SBE. Nice thing about AMD is that they stick to sockets much longer.

So that means no discussion of Intel processors allowed?
    Not at all. What's an E, half an EE?

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    Not at all. What's an E, half an EE?
    lol. Don't know if you're joking. If you're not, Sandy Bridge E is the next generation of SB chips, coming Q4 of this year, supposed to be high performance . Current SB models have been low to middle to high middle end chips. We will see the return of the $1,000 "Expensive" Edition processors this fall.

Thanks, I was joking, but I didn't know. Intel is especially confusing to me. They seem to be marketing 6 types (architectures) of chips at the same time, and like AMD the #'s make no sense.

Ahh, to the days of Px(clock speed) or to a younger brain!!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

They seem to be marketing 6 types (architectures) of chips at the same time, and like AMD the #'s make no sense.
    Try deciphering ARM, makes x86 look like child's play.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    Thanks, I was joking, but I didn't know. Intel is especially confusing to me. They seem to be marketing 6 types (architectures) of chips at the same time, and like AMD the #'s make no sense.

Ahh, to the days of Px(clock speed) or to a younger brain!!
    well they're pretty much all the same sandy bridge architecture at this point (except atom), but the differentiation between chip lines (celeron, pentium, i3, i5, i7) is somewhat fuzzy.. some have turbo, some have HT, different cache sizes, different iGPU's, different virtualization features etc etc.. its hard to pin down so basically you have to just go on price points.

SB-E (E= enthusiast) will be the chips that slot in above the 2600k (a $300 chip) with quad channel, probably hex core etc all with the IPC improvements that SB brought over westmere to replace the current i7-970 and 990x chips. They'll probably be monsters but extremely expensive. Not only the chips, but the whole platform will be extremely pricey (incl mobos). I dont see myself moving there anytime soon

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    well they're pretty much all the same sandy bridge architecture at this point (except atom), but the differentiation between chip lines (celeron, pentium, i3, i5, i7) is somewhat fuzzy.. some have turbo, some have HT, different cache sizes, different iGPU's, different virtualization features etc etc.. its hard to pin down so basically you have to just go on price points.

SB-E (E= enthusiast) will be the chips that slot in above the 2600k (a $300 chip) with quad channel, probably hex core etc all with the IPC improvements that SB brought over westmere to replace the current i7-970 and 990x chips. They'll probably be monsters but extremely expensive. Not only the chips, but the whole platform will be extremely pricey (incl mobos). I dont see myself moving there anytime soon
    Yes, Intel went from native hex core with Gulftown, then back to native quad core w/ SB. Then back to hex core with SB-E. Kinda goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Yes, Intel went from native hex core with Gulftown, then back to native quad core w/ SB. Then back to hex core with SB-E. Kinda goofy.
    not when you consider the price points. the westmere/gulftown hexes occupy a much higher price point than SB. SB wasn't the replacement for gulftown, but for bloomfield. You have to figure that the die size on a hex version of SB would probably be like, 30% (guestimate) higher than the current die, which would require the requisite price increase to maintain margins. SB-E will be larger than that due to the quad channel IMC and be the true replacement for the gulftown hexes

Trust me, I do science

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ance,3026.html

some preview stuff. I'm not impressed. It appears that they decided to cut almost all of the features that were actual differentiations from SB. Now its just SB +2 cores, pointless quad channel memory and a few useless PCI-E lanes. the 2 cores will be nice but they probably could have done that on 1155 and saved themselves the trouble of the whole LGA2011 platform

Waiting for IB is probably in my future

Trust me, I do science

have you seen this?
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111026PD219.html

"due to leaked information that Intel will launch upgraded Sandy Bridge E C2 CPUs and upgraded chipsets only two months after"

thats some bs and i was going to sell my high end system soon

considering that Ivy bridge will be launched Q1 2012, there is no need for me to get Sandy Bridge E which is a power hungery and expensive platform.

Marmo:
    Ci5 760 + Asus P7P55D-E Pro + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB(RAID0)/500GB(Data) HDDs running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 4570 + Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H + 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C10 + MSI GTX660 TwinFrozr + 150GB(System)/1TB(Data) HDDs running Win8 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 500GB(32GB mSATA SSD) HDD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows server):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-15000C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 250GB(System)/2x400GB(RAID1) HDDs running Win2008 R2 Ent x64.

Flame (Linux server):
    C2Q Q9550 + Asus P5K-VM + 2x2GB G.Skill PK-8500C5 + Onboard GMA3100 + 300GB(System)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 5.8 x64.

Raiden (htpc):
    Ci3 2100T + Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H + 2x2GB Corsair XMS3-12800C8 + Intel HD1000 + 250GB HDD running Win7 Pro x64

well i think my 45nm i7920 could say the same thing.
    i'd want ivybridge but i havn't seen a roadmap where socket 2011 is included.