Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

The Windows 8 thread.

As the release date draws ever closer, I guess I'm not too surprised of the complete lack of interest regarding MS's newest os here. MS really hit the nail on the head with 7 imo, and I think they're going to have a pretty tough sell with 8. TBH, 8 really doesn't interest me at all. Win 7 has been SO good in fact, that I actually dread the day MS stops supporting it. So yeah, no need for me to spend money on a problem that isn't there.

Still, I'd like to hear from anyone here who's looking to upgrade to 8, and if so their reasons for doing so, even if they are just trivial.
    Last edited by kbohip; 09-26-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Changed title.

Re: What? No Windows 8 thread here?

I am a Technet member, so I will be trying it on something, I am sure. I agree though, it will be hard to improve on W7.

I am in my mid 20's, but I was always into computers, even as a very little kid, so I remember the days when Microsoft released a new operating system every 3 years (Win 3.1 -> Win 95 -> Win 98 etc).

A lot of my friends though, most of their adult life, they're used to having Win XP for ever, then Vista, then Win 7. So, with Win 8 already in the news, they think that Microsoft is getting their butt kicked by Apple and is scrambling to spit out all these new operating systems to compete with Apple.

No, not quite the case. I mean, Microsoft has historically come out with a new OS every 3 years, it's just that Windows XP was around way longer that it probably should of been, although it was a fairly reliable operating system if you kept everything patched.

It occurred to me after I wrote the post in this thread. I haven't been to the MS site in probably two years for anything computer related. I went there once last Christmas to research the XBOX 360 Kinect, but that's been it. I just find this strange as I used to hit it up all the time searching for something or another. Of course one of those things was Directx, but with Steam installing it every 27 minutes on my pc, I don't need to go there anymore for that either.

I honestly didn't know anything about Windows 8 so I googled and read this article to catch up. Seems like Win7 with some tweaks and that new (optional I think?) touch screen interface which seems like an attempt to make a PC act like an iPad/tablet including the "opportunity" to buy apps from Microsoft.

I might consider it if there are $50 pre-order deals like with Win7 but I can take it or leave it. Win7 is plenty good enough.

The problem Microsoft has is if they release a crappy OS (like Vista) they get a lot of negative PR but if they release a solid OS like Win7 there isn't really much reason for people to upgrade when they release their next OS in 3 years or so. Win7 doesn't even feel at all old to me yet.
    Last edited by Lenny; 09-10-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

I think people are starting to realize that it's not worth it to get excited over new OS technology until it's had about a year to mature. Or a refined and patched up version of the predecessor in the case of Windows 7.

If Windows 8 is drastically different from 7 like (Vista was to XP), than it will most definetly suck.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Ill be trying it. But just because i have a technet sub.

I am looking forward to native iso support though.

I know a few threads in this forum turn into TechNet fan club threads, but I just want to say it again, I love TechNet.

Power button on the computer case seems to be the only way for me to shut it down, personally I want the option to disable or enable the Metro UI easily within the GUI and a shut down option that's easy to get to in the GUI like Windows 7 via the start button or something would be cool.

^^^^This should do the trick for you 3D.

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-pi...ows-8-20110914

Thanks kbohip. Other than that, I think the Metro UI seems built for Tablets although for desktop, the Metro UI needs improvements which seems obvious at this point. Excuse me for being obvious. Kinda curious how the Metro UI is configured for third party apps showing up. I think the Metro UI is minimalist in options in some areas and not quite like the Windows 7 GUI where there seems to be many options to take. I had some difficulty with Internet Explorer in the Metro UI, it would stall when using it.

Downloaded and installed the win8 developers' preview version, 64 bit. Had a bit of trouble installing it but sorted it out and now it run fine. Just did this tonight, so have a lot to learn.

First impression: Win7 with a touch-screen overlay on top for tablets. Looks and acts pretty slick but have barely scratched the surface yet.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

I just used Acronis 201o, the bootable version, and cloned the Preview version from a 1TB disk on which I originally installed it to 7 year-old 74g raptor, and it cloned just fine. In fact, I am working from that disk now.

Metro boots very quickly, I'll give it that. I'm still playing with it in bits and pieces, but I can see how in many ways, like I posted last night, that it is W7 with an overlay on it for tablets. That is still my first impression. Very superficial, I grant.

Now I need to dig around and see if I can find a "user's guide" or features list to see what more is in this.

One very frustrating features is shutting down. I push my power button to shut down, it starts to shut down, then goes back to the what I call the "Wii screen" that has been so widely publicized, and then is non-responses to what I push my power button. Weird. I have to hold down the power button to shut the system down. It then starts up just fine. But I cannot do any warm re-starts.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Unfinished nature of the beast I guess. Not being able to use IE because of stalling, as in it being not responsive to anything, significantly reduced the time I was able to test it. For example, i'd be browsing in IE using Metro, it wouldn't respond to any mouse or keyboard input. Shocking. However, browsing without Metro in the Windows 7 like GUI was much better, no stalling there.
    Last edited by 3dfxrain; 09-17-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: more text

I've played with it a bit more. Actually, MS could be on to something here if tablets ever become like notebooks where you dock them. W8 would then be very flexible, as when docked you might prefer the standard windows interface and use a keyboard and mouse, but when in mobile/tablet mode, I could see how you would want the metro overlay.

Also, with W8 they create one single OS vs. say Apple's separate OS for iphones and ipads and OS X for desktops and laptops.

I'm running this on my main system, specs in sig. I've had no problems at all yet.

One interesting thing, I downloaded the ISO file and create a bootable OS disk in Nero, and when trying to install to hdd, I got a message that I needed a device driver for my DVD drive. Geez, flashback time. Anyway, I did a quick Google search somewhere I read to create the bootable OS disk using the W7 download installer app (I had never heard of it). So I downloaded it from MS, create a boot DVD with it, and voila, no more DVD driver problem, the DVD booted just fine. Weird.

marty
    Last edited by alex666; 09-17-2011 at 07:18 PM.