Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Re: The Windows 8 thread.

ill agree that windows 8 isn't worth $100+ to upgrade over windows 7. but all the naysayers really need to spend a few days trying it out before dissing the product. also scotts article was inane. why the hell is he complaining about windows rt as if its the ONLY version of windows 8. windows rt was made for one reason, to run on arm based mobile devices to compete with android and ios. its not the death of windows.

so i made the jump to windows 8 myself on my home desktop. i like it. the metro ui is VERY functional. also the metro UI IS the start menu and its accessed in a similar manner to the old start menu, its just changed locations. move to a right corner to access the menu. using the bottom left corner quick switches screens back and forth between the metro start menu and the desktop IF your not using apps.

in other words mouse to the bottom left of your screen and you will see a small preview pane of hte metro UI click and boom theres your start menu. that being said metro as a start menu is actually quite a bit nicer than the old style start menu if you actually try to use it.

no heres what people are crying about. its a little different. its change. people always cry about change even when its for the best.

windows 8 is better than windows 7. there i said it. but the changes aren't beneficial enough to a desktop user to be worth upgrading from win 7. unless you consider a better start menu to be worth the upgrade cost.
    Last edited by modru2004; 11-06-2012 at 10:06 AM.

I'll have to agree to disagree on you about 'metro' The start is a lot LESS functional in whole. Try to open a sub product within the main product of an application (like some help file) or for fun, open services.msc quickly without keyboard shortcuts, hard to do. Metro has it's place, but not as the start menu replacement.

you realize that while on the metro screen simply typing what you want and hitting enter to launch it.

in otherwords hit win key to get on the metro screen then type services.msc and hit enter and boom there it is. its much more functional. you can do this with most things.

while on metro type word and enter. boom microsoft word just launched. you can always make your own custom tiles as well.....

also pull up the right menu, go to settings, tiles, turn on admin tiles.
    and there you go a nice graphic tile to click on if you prefer.

you welcome.

oh and for your help files, im thinking you mean the old start menu folders that may have had a readme or something in em right? hit the search go to apps and you can browse all that full screen just like you used to in the old start menu. don't actually have to search you can browse it. you don' thave to hit metro first to do that. just mouse over on the right and hit the magnifying glass. select apps and browse it.

OR if you prefer going back to the start menu first (metro) simply right click in the empty space click all apps and you get teh same thing. all though it takes a tad bit more effort.
    Last edited by modru2004; 11-06-2012 at 10:33 PM.

hmm, either it was broke in preview, or something on my machine was messed up, because it could not find any .msc program before! So for that, yes thanks!

But I still prefer the old start menu for navigating through installed product folders, and really, xp was still the best at that (in that I did not like win 7 for that either)

but bottom line. for $40, anyone still on win xp or vista and you have a newer system, go ahead with win 8, those on 7, it's a toss up. There is no 'have to have' feature of 8, and 7 will be supported for a long while yet, so I guess it will be if you have $40 and a burning desire to have the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    you realize that while on the metro screen simply typing what you want and hitting enter to launch it.

in otherwords hit win key to get on the metro screen then type services.msc and hit enter and boom there it is. its much more functional. you can do this with most things.

while on metro type word and enter. boom microsoft word just launched.
    All of which you can do in Windows 7.

There's many things I like about Windows 8:

System restore replaced with an Apple Time Machine-like File History.
    Built in virtualisation (in the Pro version)
    It should be more robust & self healing.
    You can refresh the system files without losing data, like a Mac.

But I still don't like Metro.

Hopefully they'll come up with a less retarded-looking "business version", without Metro. Then they'll be on to a winner.
    Last edited by Enmore; 11-11-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Well I guess I'll have to eat my prior words again. I've been using W8 and at first I thought, ehh.
    But after using it for the last week more or less, I'm beginning to like it. It's not everyone's
    cup of tea and I do find myself going back to W7 for some really important things I might have
    to get done, but after exploring W8 more, I'm starting to find my way around it. I admit and posted
    I didn't think it was going to be worth a hoot, but once again, I'm wrong.

I have XP Pro, W7 Pro, and W8 Pro on different partitions on my drive so switching isn't that big a deal.

I do find and am a lil surprised at this, how old looking W7 seems compared to W8 and the way
    it behaves. Odd..

This site helped me with tutorials on certain things.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 11-22-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Windows key + X is very handy in Win 8.

Will they make a good old desktop without Modern user interface of Windows 9? Not everybody wants Windows 7 Tablet Edtion.

Soon, me droogies........
    E3-1230v2/H100/P8Z77-LX
    4x4Gb GSkill 1866/R9 290X
    Sandisk ExtremeII 240GB/WD 1TB Black Spinner
    Lian Li Pc-7B plusII /OCZ 600W ModXStream/Z-5500's.[/I]

lol Start8 kinda already does it. If you want the W7 desktop mostly.

Decor8 is a nice utility that allows you to change the background of the Metro screen to any picture/wallpaper you like. Makes it look soooo much better.

The App is $4.99 and you can download a one month trial for it.

http://www.stardock.com/products/decor8/

Also it blocks the tiles at login if you are offended by horrid tablet things.

I'm thinking of installing the Win8 Pro upgrade on my sons system as a Guiana pig over the holidays. It's currently running Vista 32 and I'm going to try to do a clean install with the 64bit installer first. If I can get it running and activated I'm going to scrap "metro" right off and see if I can get back to normal using "Classicshell". I've seen and read enough about "metro" to know it's not my cup-o-tea.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Well I had some time last night and I installed the 64bit Win8 Pro upgrade to my sons rig. Quick specks:

AMD Phenom II X4 830
    4GB DDR3
    64GB ADATA SSD
    NV 9600GSO
    DVD

Installed from DVD and it recognized nearly all the hardware immediately. Only had 1 unknown device. After configuring the network it went out and updated about 800mb and resolved the unknown device itself after 3 reboots.

First impression.... Metro is a mess. Honestly I have an easier time finding my way around MintLinux... and I suck at that. The "hot" corner replacing the start menu is a pain. I banged around metro for about an hour. It felt like trying to learn a new OS altogether.. far from an "upgrade". If you are into mobile devices an tablets maybe it seem intutive to you. Me.. I hardly usem' and my phones are pretty simplistic. Maybe I'll install it on another system and let metro be.. see if I can get accustomed to it later. As it was my 6 year old wanted his rig back in a condition he could use this am.

I installed classicshell and set it to use the classic start menu/desktop theme and disabled the hot corner in the upper right corner. Took another few minutes and put the quick launch bar back where I'm used to seeing it next to the start button. Once I had win8 looking like a proper windows OS I liked it a lot more.

My bottom line after less than 4 hours total use: scrap metro and it's a great price for an upgrade from xp or vista. If you are already running Win7 I'm not seeing anything so far that would motivate anyone to move. I will probably buy up all the 5 upgrade licenses I'm legally allowed to purchase anyway just to keep a cheap upgrade path open. Two of them will be used to upgrade my nephews 32bit XP systems so they can finally play DX11 games in DX11 and use all 4GB of ram in their rigs. The remaining two will eventually find their way onto my wife and my desktop systems. She's currently on Vista Ultimate 64 and still happy with it. I'm still rocking my initial build of Win7 Pro 64 which I've dragged across several platform upgrades. That's a first in my lifetime I've been able to do that between windows OS releases and IMHO a great testament to win7.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper