Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: What? No Windows 8 thread here?

lol Most excessive use of desktop wallpaper i've ever seen in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    lol Most excessive use of desktop wallpaper i've ever seen in my life.
    I've gotten lax about all that stuff. In the early XP days, Black Viper had that site that explained how to save all one's resources, turn off services, and I used to do all that. But now, I've got resources to spare, with lots of ram, plenty of horsepower in my cpu, so I just run stuff at default settings now mostly. Getting lazy in my old age.
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

I gave up. I ran my main for hrs and it STILL showed at
    least 12 hrs after running for at least 10 hrs. I guess
    everyone wants in.

My download of it was fast enough considering broadband in NZ.

I just went to try and load it again and now it states 22 hrs !
    No thanks..

Already the closet Apple people are lining up to take potshots at Windows 8. This "writer" claims because Win 8 supposedly won't allow Adobe flash to work on tablets that it's yet another reason why MS has failed out of the gate.

First there are the usual complaints about compatibility issues. One striking piece of news: The tablet-style version of Windows 8 (called Metro) is going to pull a Steve Jobs and stubbornly refuse to work with Adobe's Flash. Yes, the dominant way that consumers watch videos on the Internet will not function in the glitzy version Windows 8. It will work in a "classic" desktop version of Windows 8, but who wants that old software on their shiny new Windows tablet?

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...#ixzz1YYDNeg1g

Oh wait, so it does work after all, unlike Apple.

I remember they did something like this with Windows 7. Excessive desktop wallpaper and things, they didn't go through with it, gave us Windows 7 with classic start button, taskbar, desktop wallpaper, though it looked different to Vista. Seems the preview is an elaborate ruse, maybe not, I don't know for sure.

Has anyone had any luck running PowerDVD.

I can load it and watch a movie but have to uninstall and reload to watch another movie.

I tried running as administrator and in compatibility mode to no avail.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I've installed VirtualDrive and it actually works. I created two virtual CDs for two old games and I 'm going to see if they will install and run. I did create a virtual DVD for Finding Nemo and it ran just fine using the latest version of VLC.

I am going to try to install PowerDirector, the 64 bit version, and see if it works.
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

So will I have to mod the SLIC table in my BIOS to get it to run?

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

I am going to try to install PowerDirector, the 64 bit version, and see if it works.
    Did you have any luck with this?

I can't get the downloader to work.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Re. Post re. changing bios, I did not have to change anything in my bios to run W8 Developers Preivew other than changing the boot drive hdd setting in my bios.

Re. PowerDirector, I have not yet installed. I managed to crash the whole system trying to install some old games via VirtualDrive. I should have known better. So now I am reformatting the drive on which I had W8 installed and will reinstall the it some time this week (I have work on which I need to focus). No big deal, I knew I was pushing it by trying to install these old programs, but I wanted to push the limits. I did the same with Vista. I think I'm one of the few people who liked Vista, as almost everything I threw at it worked. I wanted to see how W8 did, but it's just too different I think to handle a W98SE/XP-era game, IL2, which by the way works fine on W7 using Virtual Drive.

One other interesting finding to pass on. I had W8/Developers Preview set up on a 1TB Black Caviar. I have W7 on a separate drive, and a separate storage drive. I plugged in the the black Caviar with W8 into an e-sata port, and unplugged it when I was not using it. When I did want to use it, I went into my bios and simply changed which hdd was my boot drive. No big deal, I do that all the time with Win XP which I have on an old raptor and use occasionally because of some older programs I use for work.. I plug it in as needed into an e-sata port, go into the bios, and choose that hdd as my boot drive. Anyway, I noticed that, ever since running this W8 Developers Preview, I started having some boot problems with my W7 drive, and I have had to do a number of repairs. I have had no boot problems with W7 on this drive (a 300g raptor) until I started using W8. Now maybe this is a weird quirk of my mobo for some reason or another, I don't know. But I thought I would pass that on.

marty

Wow, update. I had forgotten that I made a backup hdd of W8 on an old raptor. So I put it in, it worked fine, but now my 300g raptor with W7 blue screened on me, then would not work at all, could not repair it. Fortunately, I had a backup clone of the drive that I had just created Saturday, and I had backed up all my work from the weekend onto my storage drive. But the bottom line, for some reason on my system, running W8 Developers Preview caused major boot problems with my other drive. Again, maybe it's my mobo somehow, I don't know. I've run into this with Windows 7 on a different machine when I had an external storage drive connected via e-sata, and even though I had selected the W7 drive selected as my boot drive, just having that e-sata drive connected caused boot problems.

Anyway, I will never boot with W8 again unless I disconnect all my other drives. Annoying, but I'm not taking any chances. And again, I've never ever had this problem with XP, which I have on a separate hdd and connect via e-sata.

marty

I think I'm one of the few people who liked Vista
    I was a fan of Vista when it came out. I never experienced the problems others complained about.

I learned early about unhooking the unused drives. I have all of my drives in drive caddys so I can pop them in and out when needed.

I finally got PowerDVD to work but crashed and burned when I tried to install my Hauppague HD PVR.

I had to reset the drive and start fresh.

Am thinking I might give it up until the beta comes out.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by richardd43 View Post
    I was a fan of Vista when it came out. I never experienced the problems others complained about.

I learned early about unhooking the unused drives. I have all of my drives in drive caddys so I can pop them in and out when needed.

I finally got PowerDVD to work but crashed and burned when I tried to install my Hauppague HD PVR.

I had to reset the drive and start fresh.

Am thinking I might give it up until the beta comes out.

Yeah, I think you're right about unhooking drives, though I've never ever had problems in the past until W8.

And I probably won't spend too much more time with this, wait until the beta comes out, like you said. But I'll probably keep it on the old raptor and plug in occasionally. I might even try to install it on an old biostar mob I have with an AMD x2 installed that runs at 2.5GHz and still uses ddr memroy. I think I have 2 X 512 of ram. That could be interesting. I have some old WD 80g hdds laying around. Might be fun.

marty