Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sw: Tor

Sw: Tor

Star Wars: The Old Republic is coming December 20. Anyone else excited?
    I'm greatly looking forward to this one!

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com

Re: Sw: Tor

I loved the cinematic trailer story for it, not sure I will get the game though

Too caught up in other things, Star Trek Online to know a lot about it, though I think it's been in development for quite some time and a lot of money seems to be spent on it, am I right?

I can't express how disappointed I am that this is an MMO. KOTOR was a downright cinematic game, with loads of story elements. I'm sad that that has to inevitably fall by the wayside in the conversion to an MMO. yea, i'm sure there will be story elements, but it can't possibly be the same as playing by yourself. I want KOTOR 2 (a real KOTOR2 by bioware)

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I am not really looking for an MMO but I am still going to give this a shot. I love Star Wars too much to not!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Yea, I'm in the same boat.
    I have many real-life friends who are jumping on this, AND I love Star Wars, so I'm pretty stuck on playing it.

KOTOR was awesome. I know this won't give the same satisfaction of the single-player games... but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, none-the-less.

Well, I'm in the Beta this weekend.
    So far, I'm loving it. The graphics are nothing to write home about,
    but the story and voice acting have been top-notch so far.

I played the beta weekend and had a ton of fun. This is the first MMO I will actually play. My friends and I have a guild already setup and ready to go if anyone is interested. Setting up the guild beforehand will help them keep the servers balanced and allow everyone to get on the same server.

http://www.swtor.com/guilds/87617/sith-high-order

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/electr...republic/3925/

SW:TOR cost EA almost $200 million to make. I think that makes it one of the most expensive games ever to make, beating out the likes of Shenmue, Gran Tursimo 5, Battlefield 3, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    http://www.giantbomb.com/news/electr...republic/3925/

SW:TOR cost EA almost $200 million to make. I think that makes it one of the most expensive games ever to make, beating out the likes of Shenmue, Gran Tursimo 5, Battlefield 3, etc.
    And, like most of those games, I will never play it. MMOs are for suckers

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Or adults who live in parents basements? :P

CPU: Phenom 925 X4
    MOBO: BIOSTAR A870U3
    MEM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4GBx2 1333
    VGA: GTX 260
    PSU: Cougar CMX 700
    HDD: WD Black 500GB

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I just can't believe that it's WoW in space. I spent two years of my life playing EVE online, which is a MMO but radically different from WoW. Everything I've seen of SW:TOR is "WoW in space with voice-acted quest-givers." So, I'm not really interested. I can understand EA trying to go after that World of Warcraft money, but they didn't have to stick to the WoW formula when making SW:TOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    I just can't believe that it's WoW in space. I spent two years of my life playing EVE online, which is a MMO but radically different from WoW. Everything I've seen of SW:TOR is "WoW in space with voice-acted quest-givers." So, I'm not really interested. I can understand EA trying to go after that World of Warcraft money, but they didn't have to stick to the WoW formula when making SW:TOR.
    Oh they'll make that money tho and steal WOW customers. Way to many SW fanatics out there.

CPU: Phenom 925 X4
    MOBO: BIOSTAR A870U3
    MEM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4GBx2 1333
    VGA: GTX 260
    PSU: Cougar CMX 700
    HDD: WD Black 500GB

Quote Originally Posted by 96s10 View Post
    Oh they'll make that money tho and steal WOW customers. Way to many SW fanatics out there.
    Yeah, you're right. But, in my opinion, BioWare and EA should of taken that $200 million and made three KOTOR games instead of one MMO.

Got a nice email from BioWare/EA today. Star Wars: The Old Republic is now free-to-play up to Level 50.

For those keeping score at home, the level cap in the game is 50, so they're essentially making the whole game free-to-play. I'm sure they're putting hooks in so that you'll have a better experience if you pay, but damn. There's only one reason they would make the whole game free, and it ain't because it's super popular.

I wonder what the guys working on the Elder Scrolls MMO are thinking. If EA, BioWare, Star Wars and $200 million dollars couldn't make a successful MMO, then I doubt the guys at Bethesda will do any better.

And because I'm a business nerd, I just have to note that $200 million is a lot of money. There's no way that EA made or will make their money back. I bet EA CEO John Riccitiello is on his way out. Which is a shame, because Riccitiello is way more progressive than Larry Probst was. I'm sure once Riccitiello is gone, they'll bring back some bean counter who will say "make more Madden and FIFA games! Make all of them! Keep making them!"