How important is RPM for Laptop hard drives?

A friend of mine is going to buy a laptop hard drive soon and wants to spend more money on a 7200 RPM drive. I thought i had heard from Ryan shrout on a podcast that for laptop hard drives RPM is not as important as other things. Does any one know off hand what he meant because i can't find a reference to that old episode of twich.

The impression i got from ryan was that if you are worried about speed and want to spend extra money on a laptop hard drive, you should buy an SSD.

Re: How important is RPM for Laptop hard drives?

No question that SSD is the best bang for buck compared to any HDD. The question is whether the laptop controller can handle one and play nice.

I last had a laptop in 06, but I upgraded the standard HD from, I believe, a 4200 rpm model to a 7200 rpm. The difference was very noticeable. With newer units it may well be less.

Wouldn't 7200RPM units consume more power and release more heat though? I agree with "rdgrimes" that SSDs are the way to go unless you need alot of storage, or can't afford one.

SSDs are by far superior to HDDs, even 7200RPM ones.
    Last edited by zicoz; 10-06-2011 at 12:20 PM.

i once upgraded from 5400rpm to a 7200 rpm laptop drive, and it was noticable......the ssd,s are nice, but i just cannot justify the money
    #1-i5-3570k -asus sabertooth p67- msi r9-270x
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-asus M5A97-evga gtx 470
    #3-amd phenom II x2 560 (4 cores enabled) -BIOSTAR TA880GB -evga gtx 260
    #4-amd fx-6300- GA-990FXA-UD3-gigabyte gtx-660 oconboard graphics
    #5-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Quote Originally Posted by zicoz View Post
    Wouldn't 7200RPM units consume more power and release more heat though? I agree with "rdgrimes" that SSDs are the way to go unless you need alot of storage, or can't afford one.

SSDs are by far superior to HDDs, even 7200RPM ones.
    The problem with SSD's is that their aren't as reliable as HDD's, therefore I would suggest going for a Seagate Momentous XT 750GB 7200RPM Hybrid drive unless you're the type of person that backs up religiously and is willing to experiment. This drive is close in SSD perfomance and beats Velociraptors by a long shot regarless of RAID configuration or without. Also because it has a more consistent reliability than SSD's IT'S the best bang for the buck, especially if you travel.

Also as far as energy consumption the difference between 4200, 5200, and 7200 is barely dishtiguishable if at all unless you're making lot's of read/writes but overall it depends more on how conservative you are with your laptop's power settings. BUT in power conservation SSD's have an obvious advantage.

I don't really know that I agree that HDD is more durable then SDD, atleast notfor 2.5" drives, as atleast for me 2.5".

Also these days I think you get longer warranties for SSD then for HDD. Intel is offering 5 years now aren't they? While HDDs just fell down to 1-2 years or so.

I think SSD is also the best for shock resistant, eventhough it has no garanties, the data is almost secure, since the disk has no moving parts.

Quote Originally Posted by obtrunco View Post
    [COLOR="Red"][B]The problem with SSD's is that their aren't as reliable as HDD's ...
    Indeed. Learned the hard way that SSD technology is still young and can faulter like those early USB thumb/jump drives. One little glitch with a SSD and POOF all the data is GONE. Not so much with a HDD.

If going the SSD route, setup the SSD to ghost or mirror an image to a real HDD for backup purposes.

As for a HDD speed, 7200rpm tends to be the ideal speed in a laptop. Above that, an there are marginal gains because of the bus speed to transfer data. With a gaming desktop or workstation, 10000rpm MB can handel the transfer rates better due to improved chipset and bus speeds.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump maverick

I replaced a Hitachi 80gig, 5400 in an Acer 5315 before I changed out
    the core and with it in, it definitely had the unit starting up faster than the
    old 5400.

WD Scorpio Black 250 gig drive
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 04-29-2012 at 11:08 PM.