Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The GNOME Situation.

I think most of you probably already know what I'm going to talk about just from the title, especially other GNOME guys.

I've been a GNOME user pretty much exclusively since I've used Linux which has been almost 10 years at this point. I played around with other desktops a bit at first, but for one reason or another I never found one I liked anywhere near as much as GNOME. Of course, then they released GNOME 3. Which the vast majority of people agree is a horrible train-wreck of a GUI.

Short term, I can keep using GNOME 2. However there will come a point where that won't be possible anymore (or at least not without putting in more effort then I'm will to do). I've been playing around with some other desktop managers to try and see if there are any others I might like.

At first LXDE and Xfce seemed promising but in the end both felt like a huge step backwards. Especially in the area of customizing the look of the desktop.

I've never cared much for KDE and it doesn’t seem like that has really changed. It just feels clunky and cluttered to me.

So I guess, I'm asking what most of you guys here are thinking they will end up doing as far as their desktop environment goes.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750

Re: The GNOME Situation.

At first LXDE and Xfce seemed promising but in the end both felt like a huge step backwards. Especially in the area of customizing the look of the desktop.
    Both of those are very customizable, what steps were you trying?

In Xfce I would go into the Settings manager and try to use the Appearance functionality to change things to my liking. I guess the biggest thing I find Xfce to be lacking in that regard (or maybe I just never found it) was the ability to specify my own colors for things.

In LXDE I would use the settings in the LXDE Control Center. I liked its customization a bit better then Xfce's. However my problem with it is that it seems slow at times. For example. If I click the X to close Firefox, sometimes it is gone from the Task bar instantly. At other times, it seems to stay there for 4-5 seconds. Minor I guess, but it annoys me.
    Last edited by Captain_Stormy; 10-10-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Editing is done generally through config files rather then applications or through themes.

Here's a few links with some ideas.

http://wiki.xfce.org/faq
    http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/200...-with-xfce-44/

I tried GNOME 3 when I was running Arch, didn't like it, and switched to Xfce.

So if I can't have GNOME 2, I'll just use Xfce and be happy.

Yep. Unity is bad, but Gnome 3 is worse.

Currently running Gnome 3 in fallback mode. A few things are broken, but at least I can actually work in it.

i5 3570k Windows 7 x64 gaming rig, Intel NUC SageTV server (2TB iSCSI storage), Intel i3 HTPC

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Editing is done generally through config files rather then applications or through themes.

Here's a few links with some ideas.

http://wiki.xfce.org/faq
    http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/200...-with-xfce-44/
    I'll have to play around with that later this week when I get back home, I'm on the road for business now.

Still seems like a step backwards from Gnome 2 but certainly one I'm will to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Yep. Unity is bad, but Gnome 3 is worse.

Currently running Gnome 3 in fallback mode. A few things are broken, but at least I can actually work in it.

I've not actually tried the fallback mode. I've heard mixed reviews of it. I've mainly tried Gnome 3 via a Fedora live disk. I'm not sure if one can try fallback mode with it or not.

Honestly I think you can just keep using Gnome 2 for a while. I tried loading up LXDE yesterday but I don't have the window managers set right.

I wouldn't mind trying Gnome 3 but it's hard masked from Portage, so the only easy way would be a live cd of something. If it really is that big of a train wreck I'm sure they will fix it to make everyone happy and life will go on. Guessing you can just wait until Gnome 4 comes out and not even have to worry about using another desktop.

Hey John, did you do the KDE3 to KDE4 upgrade in Gentoo? I went through it and between various issues I have with KDE4 and the nightmarish upgrades as Gentoo tried to phase it in, I ended up switching to Gnome. I stuck it out with KDE4 for about 6 months before switching. For the first time I'm actually liking Gnome. I may switch back to KDE eventually, but for now I want the 4 series to settle down before I do. Hopefully that'll happen before Gnome 3 is phased in.

i5 3570k Windows 7 x64 gaming rig, Intel NUC SageTV server (2TB iSCSI storage), Intel i3 HTPC

I saw a screenshot of someone's desktop using gnome-shell, and it looked and acted like gnome 2. I'm disappointed that people do not know that this can be done.

On a second note, I'm embarrassed to be associated with the linux community and all the whining going on. I thought people would be a bit more mature about things, but I guess I was wrong. People are acting like spoiled children, and it makes me sick to my stomach. If I ever act like that, kill me.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.4ghz/8GB DDR3/NvidiaGT430/Ubuntu 11.10

Perhaps Linux Mint is more to your liking?

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1851
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    Perhaps Linux Mint is more to your liking?

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1851
    I am looking forward to the release of Mint 12. Mint is one of my favorite distributions, probably number two right behind OpenSUSE.

If anyone can make Gnome 3 somewhat usable it would probably be them. Though I'm also going to check out MATE.

Compiz. The LXDE taskbar. That is my window manager. Nothing else but that. KDE sucks. Gnome has sucked since day one. And you know, I have apps from those and from XFCE and it doesn't matter. Compiz is my window manager. Not hard to do if you use Arch or a distribution similar to it.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?