Rebuild RAID 1 Array

I have a RAID 1 Array in a PC and it is getting a critical warning. If all I need to do is rebuild the array will the info be rewritten to the second drive. Or must I back everything up and start from scratch. (ex. Win7 and clean install) This was probably caused by power outages. I'm thinking it rebooted and screwed the array.

No complaints that the PC is running bad. Just telling me her PC shows a meesage about RAID array and a critical error.

The Array is using the onboard chipset.

Hoping for a quick fix.
    Thanks,
    Butch

Re: Rebuild RAID 1 Array

Always a good idea to get more details on what the critical error is and back up your data before doing any correction as raid 1 protects against hardware failures and not data corruption.

I won't have the pc till the 19th. Was just fishing on how or if possible to fix.

Thanks,
    Butch

You should check the harddrives for SMART errors.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smar...montools/5.42/
    Is good for it.

You'll need another HDD on hand to replace the one that is creating the errors if one of the drives reports any serious smart errors. If it doesn't, it might be a power or software problem that made a random fluctuation that turned into a critical error.

I'd recommend turning off the raid and using the software raid built into windows. It will be much better at recovering than the motherboard raid. Last time I used a motherboard raid, it was great until the motherboard gave out and I had 4 harddrives that didn't know where their data went. I was without a computer for two weeks while I waited for a highpoint raid card to come that used the same chipset (Rebuilding from that did work though! Whoo!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDCmOBqNBY Raid 1 in windows 7. It's not as reliable as a GOOD raid card, but that's a couple hundred bucks. But it is more reliable than an integrated raid controller.

Smart errors reported so RMA to WD. Waiting for replacement. Can I rebuild the array just by replacing drive and setting both drives in bios to be the array. Will the original drive just copy to new drive? I never had to do this before.

Thanks,
    Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Smart errors reported so RMA to WD. Waiting for replacement. Can I rebuild the array just by replacing drive and setting both drives in bios to be the array. Will the original drive just copy to new drive? I never had to do this before.

Thanks,
    Butch
    Hey Butch, you should be able to rebuild your array without formatting. I use RAID expert. It's a program that came with my Gigabyte board. I rebuilt my array a few times after errors occured.
    I had quite a few critical errors and I replaced both of the HDD's(WD's) to find out it was not the drives at all. After a few calls to WD's support desk we came to the conclusion that you cannot allow the computer to go to sleep. There is something about the time it takes for the drives to come on line. If one times out it gets dropped from the array and you get an error. I don't let it go to sleep anymore and haven't had a problem since. I'm running 2 WD 1TB black edition HDD's in RAID 1. I have RAID expert set up to syncronize my drives once a week as maintenance. So far so good.
    Let me know how you make out.
    Pete