Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What GPS do you use?

I just bought a used TomTom GO 720 from the local pawn shop for less than $50 bucks and who ever had it before I assume didn't upgrade it or register it as it let me upgrade to the newest firmware and most recent maps for free. I was using my android smart phone which had telenav built in but I wanted a dedicated unit for everyday use and it kinda of sucked for multiple points. I am driving hundreds of miles a day all over 3 states now doing service and plant engineer estimates so daily routing and hands free was a factor. I was just wondering what some of you liked as I looked at quite a few units and decided on the TomTom even though they dont offer free maps as some of the others did.

Re: What GPS do you use?

I use a GPSMap 62s

Hardly ever use it in the car, only when hiking. I've got land ownership layer (owner of each parcel), and aerial photography. Great unit for trekking around the woods, floating rivers, etc.

I damn sure don't want a GPS that talks. I'd throw it out the window!
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Garmin Nuvi 200. Used it for years, used it through college, and it's still held up. It was like $200 when I bought it, now I think Best Buy gives them away for walking in the door.

I used to review smartphones for a website and the cell carriers and manufacturers love to brag about how everybody will soon use their iPhone/Android phone for GPS in cars, but they're still not that easy to use, nor does the screen size compare to the dedicated GPS. Android's nav app does do some cool things though.

A Rand McNally mapbook. And my keen sense of direction. Ain't got lost yet!!!
    Last edited by frogmeat69; 11-06-2011 at 01:41 AM.

I have a TomTom 540TM-XXL with a 5" screen. Lifetime maps (4 per year) & traffic were included. Paid $130 for it last Black Friday at Amazon. I use it a lot and I'm very happy with it.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Garmin Nuvi 1310 for roads, Satmap Active 10 for hills. And the phone has Google maps!

M

Garmin Nuvi 260. Bought it when it first came out and was one of the first if not the first TTS GPS that Garmin had at the time. I updated the map on it once so far and it's paid for itself over the years. Real convenience and I feel naked without it even though I'm not using it to find a destination. I'm constantly looking up at it like it's another rear-view mirror.

Spoiler!

I've had a Windows CE unit for a few years now and that allows you to put various GPS software on it. I've tried quite a few, but in all I think TomTom has the best interface, although it's not the best looking. Tom Tom units run on Linux now, so this is no longer possible.

Last month I bought my dad a Tom Tom GPS with UK and European maps for his birthday. It runs very smoothly and is quite logical to use.

TomTom 540M. I love the 5" screen and the updates. I even submitted a couple of corrections of misnamed roads in my area. It was invaluable on my June road trip to the East Coast.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

I've been a TomTom fanboy for 5 years, now on my second. Nothing fancy. Just an XL, both times. I never updated the original's maps. I am glad I avoided it as my wifed scored this newest one for $60.00 and it of course, had the newer map update out of the box. Addictive as crack coke, I now can't go anywhere - without it. It's just good company, even if I know where I'm going. (Travel 3 states).
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Got an older Garmin Nuvi 650 in my truck and my wife has a Nuvi 200 in her car. Both with unlimited map updates.
    "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did. I said I didn't know."

- Mark Twain - Life on the Mississippi

I Served Too - Notable entertainers who served in the military

Garmin Nuvi 1490. Just got it, really like it. It is my first GPS.

Don't know. Didn't need one, where is it? I don't know. Do not really want until I have to.

Google's Navigate

Having a separate gps unit doesn't make sense anymore for me. I have a Garmin, but it just sits in a closet.

I use the Maps/GPS on my Windows Phone 7

After the mango update it's actually usable and does the job.