Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 upgrade to 990FX after the 890 fried!

Here is my plight. Today my Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 shut itself off. The monitor and keyboard and mouse all went dark for no reason. A reset and even hitting the power button did nothing. I turned the power switch on my PS off and opened up the case to see what I could find. I certainly found the issue.

I have no idea what caused this and this motherboard has been operating flawlessly for me for quite some time. I was contemplating a video card upgrade but it looks like I will have quite a bit more ahead of me. I want to stick with my 1090T since I had a great and stable 4.0GHz overclock and BD seems to be less than what I had hoped.

I figure if I am going to buy a new MB it should be a 990 based board. My main concern is my RAID 0. If I get a 990 board, will I be able to plug in my drives and have the RAID 0 recognized? I know I was able to do this with Intel boards in the past.

I also would like some board suggestions. What are good 990 boards? I probably will buy that new EVGA dual 560TI card so SLI is something I want. I also won't buy an ASUS board. I see the ASROCK boards have good reviews but I haven't seen ASROCK as a viable high end board for years. Gigabyte? MSI?

Re: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 upgrade to 990FX after the 890 fried!

No matter what MB you get I would replace that PSU, after a short like that I wouldn't trust it.
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

sttubs is offline Always learning something

Your raid will be lost, hopefully you've been good at backing things up. IIRC Asrock is made by Asus. I have the Asus Crosshair V Formula & love it. The best thing to do is look at each manufacturer's board to see what extras are on it. Asus, Gigabyte, & MSI are all very good, it basically comes down to your preference & the "extras".
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

It looks like your board fried. I had something similar happen once and it turned out to be the power supply. I had the burned connector but was able to clean it up before plugging in an old power supply that brought it back to life. I wouldn't plug a brand new power supply into your board though as it might kill the power supply but if you have an old one laying around you don't care about it might be worth a try to see if your motherboard is definitely shot.

If you like Asus the M5A99X EVO Socket AM3+ 990X and the Sabertooth Socket AM3+ 990FX have some decent ratings from users. Gigabyte has the GA-990FXA-UD3 Socket AM3+ 990FX. You can check Newegg and read the reviews on the boards to see how they're doing. Good luck and if you go with the 990 board please post on how it worked out with your raid.

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I decided to actually buy the Asus Sabertooth 990FX. Asus software is a complete waste. No version I have tried (6 so far) of their AI software will work. It just crashes. I just did my overclock manually, like I usually do and got my 4.0GHz OC back. I will work on more this week.

The RAID 0 booted right up, actually. I put the drives in the same spots on the new board. I booted it and set the controller to RAID. The array was detected and it booted up clean. Windows 7 was pissed off with the different motherboard. It took a bit for it to install all the devices but it already had all the drivers from the other board (I had been using the drivers right from AMD anyway). After another reboot it seems to be fine. Oh, and another Windows activation.

Another thing I do on all new motherboards is take off all the stock heatsinks and replace that crap thermal tape they put under everything for actual thermal compound. Temps are way, way better.