Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Galaxy Tablet Answers

I travel a lot and have held off purchasing a tablet but its getting near time and I would like input from experieinced users.

I love the look / function of Ipad 2 and see many International road warriors with them, but I don't like being tied to Itunes and its required file formats.

This is what I want from any tablet that I buy.

OK with WiFi only, most of my travel is international and I have my company blackberry and laptop (not allowed to load Skype).

• Must run Skype
    • Must play MKV files. I don't want to reformat video files I have.
    • I really want a USB connector so I can access my portable drive and the many video files stored there. An extra $100+ for increased memory storage?
    • Must be able to read / display ebooks of some kind.

I had looked seriously at the SS Galaxy 10.1 but the MKV file and USB requirements were not there and just I discovered the 8.9 which looks like it has USB; need to see it for screen size.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 12-22-2011 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Update
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

Re: More Tablet Questions

I believe the only one that has a Full size USB port is the Toshiba Thrive

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/link?id=4642

The Asus Transformer has a full size usb port in the keyboard dock

After the last update I believe all the tablets can run Skype, you just may have to force it to use the camera.

Mobo player for andriod will alow you to playback MKV files

There is a Amazon Kindle App that you can download from the market

Thanks,

The solution for MKV is a big help and I guess I can always load a few video files via my network if I can't find a way via connectors to load via USB. Happily the 8.9 specs say it has USB so I may just need a USB 2.0 to mini adaptor. http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...AAXAR-features

I'm currently focusing on the Galaxy 8.9; hard to find currently, but I guess that will change after Xmas.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 11-22-2011 at 09:09 AM.
    the Britgeezer

I just ordered the Galaxy 8.9 - loved the size of the display of the 10.1 but it / Ipad was a tad big for my travel use.

It seems the available USB adaptor will fix my HD issues and either the latest OS will read MKV files or there are Apps that can provide that function.

I will update when it arrives.
    the Britgeezer

Britt: I hope you enjoy and find it to be to your liking

Click on Pic for Dafanman's Specs

Forum Rules
    Gigabyte New Owners Guide
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Quote Originally Posted by DaFanMan View Post
    Britt: I hope you enjoy and find it to be to your liking
    Me too, I will let you know
    the Britgeezer

Re: More Tablet Questions and now Answers

An update on my Galaxy purchased from Best Buy, the only company that was selling the Galaxy Tablet 8.9

BTW BB insist the 8.9 version is now superseded by the 10.1. For sure they show no more stock, when I tried to return my opened box. Not true, but they dont stock it.

It was shipped from returns department and seal was broken, I got $50 off and assurance of no questions return, exchange or refund. It looked unused.

USB connector can read memory sticks, but is picky about files - sometimes it says it can't read (no content) although its a approved file type. Remove and replace USB often fixes this. It reads MKV files without any modification. Needs a different app.

USB cannot read mini (Samsung) portable hard drives, error message relates to power requirements (USB 2.0 vs. needs of HD) exceeded.

Samsung media hub cannot download files outside of US, it lets you buy the movie and then gives message only when you try to download it. Thanks Samsung, maybe never turn on GPS or can they read location from IP?

I find it difficult to control which apps get a short cut to the home screen vs the apps page. Can't seem to remove apps from home page I don't want. Found but GUI poor

Manual is hopeless - doesn't help if you don't understand the tablet GUI.

I'm having problems with email in Slovenia, I have INTERNET access but can't sync with facebook or hotmail. ( I think it was related to a rogue unit - the 10.1 seems to work fine).

Auto setting on screen brightness when reading books is not good it keeps changing. Auto rotate is annoying when reading if you read in bed and get the angle slightly wrong it rotates. (You can turn the feature off)

I downloaded a bunch of free ebooks from Amazon (before leaving the US) and love the book reading features.

Failure to run some movie files is frustrating, one runs from the memory stick via USB but not from the tablet on-board memory (32GB version) when I copied it over. You just need to download a different app.

You can't charge and read USB at the same time, to read from USB in bed I have to turn unit upside down to allow the USB adapter and memory stick to project up-wards.

I'm not sure I will keep this tablet - need to understand if it has issues or these points are generic - I may try the 10.1 size, love the weight and portability 8.9 but maybe reading books is easier on 10.1 if the extra weight can be supported on chest or pillow. I change to the 10.1 version - I'm happy so far.

USB power charge cord is stupidly short, who wants to take a power chord extension cable with you when traveling? I ordered a 3rd party extended cable - will report back.

Battery life - not impressed. Unit was fully charged and I spent a few hours loading files, apps and using Sykpe while leaving the USB charger in place and charging, the unit was at 83% at rthe end of about 6 hours of use. The charger can't deliver at the rate consumed. I ordered a 3rd party extended cable - will report back.

Further updates when I get back to US. Decided to try the 10.1 - its fine so far.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 12-21-2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: update
    the Britgeezer

the wife has me looking at Tablets now. She wants and IPAD but I said no way.

I'm looking at the Acer iconia, ASUS Transformer and the Toshiba Thrive
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

I have done alot of research and joined the toshiba thrive forums... I cant wait for dec 25 to get here so I can get my hands on my thrive.

As I looked over the choices out there it just makes sense to me to have a tab with full size ports and more than anything a user replaceable battery... Its one of the reasons my mp3 player is sansa... user replaceable battery.

Lots of choices out there for sure though

Laterz,
    dafanman

Forum Rules
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

I give a full endorsment to the Asus Tablet, ++ if you get the version with the keyboard dock

I havent read the whole thread but I have a ASUS Transformer with option keyboard dock I love it. Have a 32 GB SDHC card for it and have it loaded with CBRs. Cant be sure on MKV format as I dont have any to test it with.

Only down side i've seen so far is on some websites typing with the keyboard can have some serious lag.

Upside is Ice Cream Sandwich is coming soon for it (Android 4.0) and I would assume will fix may issues like this.

Re: More Tablet Questions now with answers

So far my experience with the Galexy 10.1 is very good.
    the Britgeezer

Re: Galaxy Tablet Answers

Forum Rules
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Shoot me. I have a iPad 2.

Actually I really like it. Very solid, and of course matches my iPhone 4, so the learning curve is short. For my uses, Internet, email, simple games and movies and tv shows it is perfect. In fact I rarely use my pc at home any more.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    Shoot me. I have a iPad 2.

Actually I really like it. Very solid, and of course matches my iPhone 4, so the learning curve is short. For my uses, Internet, email, simple games and movies and tv shows it is perfect. In fact I rarely use my pc at home any more.
    ill second this. have both. really like them.
    hmm...