plasma for pc gaming?

I'm considering bringing a plasma tv into my PC gaming experience. I'm woriking on a new PC build right now, which will likely involve two GTX 570s in SLI. About a year ago, I started looking into plamsa:

This is my thread from November 2010.

The S2 was recommended to me at the time. I have read many more threads since then, and there still doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to whether plasma works well for PC gaming or not. I see a lot of positive views, but also a fair number of negative. My overall sense is that plasma could work very well in my situation, which is:

1. I (will) have sufficient video power to run two displays.
    2. I still have a 27" LCD that I will use as a second display - for web browsing, a place to put maps/HUD/2D elements of games.
    3. My computer is in the basement, and it's dark (no glare issues, presumably).
    4. I have several games I've been putting off because the backlight bleed on my LCD is so distracting and takes away from the experience. I crave the contrast I've read about with plasma.

So my questions are:

1. for the best gaming experience, would I be better off looking for larger LED LCD with 2560x1440 resolution? Or the plasma for its IQ and contrast? Sure it's 1920x1080, but placed further away (6 feet or so)?

2. Does the light from the plasma screen itself cause reflections off objects in the room which it itself is illuminating? Or, since my room is very dark, should I expect good results with very minimal or no glare?

3. any good plasmas out there right now that would stand above the rest for PC gaming in particular? Sounds like pixel shift and a "gaming" mode to eliminate mouse lag are important features.

4. Would the difference between 42" and 50" really make a difference? They'll both be 1080p, so larger just seems more likely to show its pixels. Would smaller simply be sharper? Or am I missing something here? I think my view distance would be 6 feet minimum, maybe 8 feet max.

Thanks!
    Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2
    EVGA 780i
    e8400 @ 3.8GHz
    4GB OCZ RAM (2x2)
    EVGA GTX 280
    SoundBlaster X-Fi
    Western Digital Raptor: 300GB, 150GB
    27" DoubleSight LCD @ 1920x1200

Re: plasma for pc gaming?

The problem with plasma TVs is they have burn in like the CRTs did.

I have a 50" 3D plasma (Samsung) hooked to my computer and do enjoy it but am not sure if it is fast enough for a gamer.

The 3D part is kind of slick though.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by richardd43 View Post
    The problem with plasma TVs is they have burn in like the CRTs did.
    The 1st generation of plasmas had a burn-in issue but newer ones (like my 18-month old Samsung) don't. Most have burn-in protection where any image staying still causes the TV to shift it a pixel then back to prevent burn in.

I play some games on my plasma with no issues.

Sam
    Main- ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6/i7-8700k/32 Gb DDR4 /Zotac GTX1080Ti 11Gb/Samsung 970 EVO 1Tb nVme SSD/ samsung 850 EVO 1Tb SSD/ Hitachi 3Tb HDD/Asus BW-12B1ST BD burner/EVGA 750w PSU/Vizio D40u-D1 40" 4K TV/Win 10 Pro x64

One thing I'm confused by is Moving Picture Resolution. I'm taking a serious look at the Panasonic line. The TCP42S30 (and the 50" version) both have only 900 lines of moving picture resolution, yet are 1080p. I'm not exactly sure what this means. Does it actually have 1920x1080 physical resolution? Or 1920x900 and but it can display through techno-magic 1080p images?

The ST and GT series of the same displays are 3D, and happen to have 1080 lines of moving picture resolution. Any insight on this?

Hey again, the moving resolution describes the lines of resolution when watching a non-still image. So with your use, you will only be getting 900 lines of resolution.

The ST30 has 1080 lines in order to keep up with the 3D. For this reason they had to increase the speed of the phosphors. The ST30 is a very nice option. If you can get the GT for a little more than i would recommend going that route as it can produce slightly better black levels due to its infinite black technology/thx certified panel.

I know in-store the Panasonic tv's are at the end of the line, and there is no stock of the s30, st30, gt30 in any size from 50-65" in Canada, according to our database. If you can find one I'm sure it would be a crazy deal. I know we got rid of a demo 50" ST30 for like $600, or something around there.
    Last edited by Petden; 02-03-2012 at 10:43 PM.

I purchased a Panasonic 55" ST30 plasma in December and have ZERO complaints with it. My nephew brings his PS3 over all the time and Skyrim looks pretty friggin incredible. For $1150 I couldn't find a better deal. Plus it has a myriad of functions like netflix, pandora, DLNA, youtube, etc.

plasma for pc gaming?

hd plasma for console gaming

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    plasma for pc gaming?

hd plasma for console gaming

No way. I wound up purchasing an ST30 and am absolutely loving it for PC gaming. Thanks for all the replies in this thread!