Tablets...what am I looking at?

YET ANOTHER THREAD!

But wait, here's the curve ball.

I was given an M11x R3 to go to school with. It is light as a feather and kicks the crud out of my desktop. So as far as mobile power goes, I am completely and totally set up. I don't need a tablet that has a ton of power to it.

Now I need a textbook replacement. Issue is I am completely out of touch with non-PC mobile technology. What I need is a color ebook reader that can play low-resolution (480p) videos and otherwise access curriculum and occasionally do things in a pinch when I don't want to get my laptop out.

It is also going to be used to replace textbooks at home, where it'll set between two monitors on one of these: http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tab...3/Default.aspx

My mom has a kindle fire, it looks cool, my only hitch is the proprietary nature of the OS. My question about it is "are there ebook formats that it cannot read?"

What else should I be looking at?
    Last edited by Windrunner; 12-17-2011 at 11:19 PM.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Re: Tablets...what am I looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Windrunner View Post
    YET ANOTHER THREAD!

But wait, here's the curve ball.

I was given an M11x R3 to go to school with. It is light as a feather and kicks the crud out of my desktop. So as far as mobile power goes, I am completely and totally set up. I don't need a tablet that has a ton of power to it.

Now I need a textbook replacement. Issue is I am completely out of touch with non-PC mobile technology. What I need is a color ebook reader that can play low-resolution (480p) videos and otherwise access curriculum and occasionally do things in a pinch when I don't want to get my laptop out.

It is also going to be used to replace textbooks at home, where it'll set between two monitors on one of these: http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tab...3/Default.aspx

My mom has a kindle fire, it looks cool, my only hitch is the proprietary nature of the OS. My question about it is "are there ebook formats that it cannot read?"

What else should I be looking at?
    Kindle fire isn't really proprietary, its a heavily modified android skin. I'd go with that since its selling like crazy, which means the modders will be working on it pretty heavily in case you want to mess with it. not sure about ebook format support. I'd imagine its similar to the kindle out of the box, but with just a bit of work you can almost certainly make it compatible since its running android

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Re: Tablets...what am I looking at?

Thanks!
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.