Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GTX 570 dies after 11 months

I own a Galaxy GTX 570. I had a decent OC on it but with a very small overvoltage set. It performed superbly for 11 months with very good temps but then, a few days ago, it died while gaming....bad burning smell.

Anyone have any success with Galaxy's warranty replacement service? The card has a two year warranty. And yeah, I know, their warranty doesn't cover overclocking. It's the first time I've ever had a video card die.

Maybe there was more to the "rumors" about a lot of 570s dying than I thought...

My video "tribute" to Armed Assault.

Re: GTX 570 dies after 11 months

Son, I am disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiles4 View Post
    I own a Galaxy GTX 570. I had a decent OC on it but with a very small overvoltage set. It performed superbly for 11 months with very good temps but then, a few days ago, it died while gaming....bad burning smell.

Anyone have any success with Galaxy's warranty replacement service? The card has a two year warranty. And yeah, I know, their warranty doesn't cover overclocking. It's the first time I've ever had a video card die.

Maybe there was more to the "rumors" about a lot of 570s dying than I thought...
    I think you just learned more about overclocking and overvolting than you did GTX570s.

Now you have two choices:

1. Spend another $300 on a video card.
    2. Steal $300 from Galaxy and spend the rest of your life looking in the mirror and seeing a thief. If I bought the 570 from you last month, then returned it to you as defective and you saw me post on another forum that it worked when I got it but burned after I overvolted it and overclocked it, you would call me a thief. That's what you'll be if you successfully RMA.

Sort of a bad position to be in for 10% more benchmarking performance you probably didn't even notice in game play, isn't it?

Buying factory OCd cards is the best way to go if you think that 10% is going to make a difference.
    Last edited by jethro; 01-02-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Rather not torture the video card tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    Rather not torture the video card tbh.
    I'm just not rich enough to throw away the money if I burn it. (and not sleazy enough to steal from companies either)

So I don't OC parts unless I'm willing to risk buying a new one. My intel 990x is at stock speeds with unlocked multipliers and water cooling on it. That's $1000 of my money I'm not going to risk for some meaningless gaming gains. (and by meaningless I mean games are gpu limited usually, so cpu OCs mean little)

Even my cheapie 2500K is stock and I've got a huge dual fan HSF on it. I'll OC those CPUs someday- but not soon. (not to mention when I sell something it's generally as good as new, which is why I have around 270-0-0 trading refs)
    Last edited by jethro; 01-02-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I'm just not rich enough to throw away the money if I burn it. (and not sleazy enough to steal from companies either)

So I don't OC parts unless I'm willing to risk buying a new one. My intel 990x is at stock speeds with unlocked multipliers and water cooling on it. That's $1000 of my money I'm not going to risk for some meaningless gaming gains. (and by meaningless I mean games are gpu limited usually, so cpu OCs mean little)

Even my cheapie 2500K is stock and I've got a huge dual fan HSF on it. I'll OC those CPUs someday- but not soon. (not to mention when I sell something it's generally as good as new, which is why I have around 270-0-0 trading refs)
    That's a wasted $1000 on a CPU. You're using water cooling and you're still at stock? More money wasted on top of that. I know it's harsh the way I'm coming at you but to me it seems warranted.

The CPU OC in my signature is only of what it is capable of doing. As if I really need that much performance (lol). I do not keep it there all of the time. I'd rather save power and performance, it's like overhead for later if required.

Quote Originally Posted by Macabre215 View Post
    That's a wasted $1000 on a CPU. You're using water cooling and you're still at stock? More money wasted on top of that. I know it's harsh the way I'm coming at you but to me it seems warranted.
    I game at 57X10 and 25X16, and only play first or third person shooters.

What is the gain you think I'll get if I OC my cpus?

I game at 57X10 and 25X16, and only play first or third person shooters.

What is the gain you think I'll get if I OC my cpus?
    So what was the point of getting a CPU like a 990X, which is unlocked for overclocking? Why not get the 970 and save 400$? Or a 950 and save 700$? I have trouble following your logic. "i don't want to burn up my expensive stuff" then spend your money wastefully on unnecessary gear? Next you'll be telling us you drive a ferrari, but never take it above 2500rpm because you don't want to wear out the engine

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

In an alternate universe where things are correct.

GTX 570 survives after 11 months

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    So what was the point of getting a CPU like a 990X, which is unlocked for overclocking? Why not get the 970 and save 400$? Or a 950 and save 700$? I have trouble following your logic. "i don't want to burn up my expensive stuff" then spend your money wastefully on unnecessary gear? Next you'll be telling us you drive a ferrari, but never take it above 2500rpm because you don't want to wear out the engine
    1. It's cool, and I like hardware.
    2. I have the potential to OC as needed.
    3. The 990 has a pretty quick stock and turbo frequency.

1. It's cool, and I like hardware.
    2. I have the potential to OC as needed.
    3. The 990 has a pretty quick stock and turbo frequency.
    1) It's cool to pay for features you'll never use?
    2) Some guy has been posting here about how overclocking is not worth killing expensive equipment. You should look him up.
    3) See #1 above.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Read this on another forum.. I think u can relate:

Hey guys, I'm confused too! Should I buy two $600 Nvidia cards that are slower than the $550 cards?!

Decisions like this are very difficult for me! I realize the 7970 is faster, but when I buy nvidia Jen-Hsun Huang comes to my house every night and gives me a handjob for being a loyal fanboy. Rory Read lacks soft, sensual asian hands.

I would get a girlfriend but I spend all my money on Nvidia cards because GTX 480 was a better idea than the 5870 and now GTX 580 is a much better idea than 7970!~ Those extra 5fps the GTX 480 gave me were well worth the $200!!!!
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    1) It's cool to pay for features you'll never use?
    2) Some guy has been posting here about how overclocking is not worth killing expensive equipment. You should look him up.
    3) See #1 above.
    Who says I won't use it? I fully plan on highly OCing the 990 when it's not a pretty fast cpu at stock speeds.

I specifically bought a cpu with an unlocked multiplier and watercooler for that reason. (not to mention if I decided to run 3 GTX580s or 2 GTX590s I'd need to reduce cpu limitation)

I'm limited with the two 580s, but I don't think bad enough to risk cooking the chip.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Read this on another forum.. I think u can relate:

So in a couple months when the kepler cards come out and make 7970s look weak, are you going to go back to posting "AMD cards are a darn good deal! They don't WANT to have the single GPU crown!"?

If NVIDIA had launched on January 9, and the performance was only 15-25% higher than a 580, and the 7970 was due in March/April, would you be telling people "Might as well buy a Kepler today, who knows when that 7970 will launch!" AMDScooter?
    Last edited by jethro; 01-14-2012 at 11:35 AM.