Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: GTX 570 dies after 11 months

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    So in a couple months when the kepler cards come out and make 7970s look weak, are you going to go back to posting "AMD cards are a darn good deal! They don't WANT to have the single GPU crown!"?

If NVIDIA had launched on January 9, and the performance was only 15-25% higher than a 580, and the 7970 was due in March/April, would you be telling people "Might as well buy a Kepler today, who knows when that 7970 will launch!" AMDScooter?
    15%?

whine all you want about the overclocking (because I know you will), but the GTX 580 in that test is clocked at 925mhz, a 150mhz overclock over reference clocks. The ability for a chip to clock is often a significant part of its design, so taking it away from the 7970 is just a weak way by you to "prove" that its a disappointment

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    15%?
    whine all you want about the overclocking (because I know you will), but the GTX 580 in that test is clocked at 925mhz, a 150mhz overclock over reference clocks. The ability for a chip to clock is often a significant part of its design, so taking it away from the 7970 is just a weak way by you to "prove" that its a disappointment
    LOL- do you seriously believe AMD designs cards to be highly OCd?!

Why don't they just sell them at those clock speeds then and look better in the launch reviews than this?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/28.html

16% at 25X16.

Why do 95% of OEMs void your warranty if they detect it has been OCd? (including AMD I believe)

Like when AMD put the "awesum" auto OCing switch on the 6990 but said using it voids your warranty?

So in a couple months when the kepler cards come out and make 7970s look weak, are you going to go back to posting "AMD cards are a darn good deal! They don't WANT to have the single GPU crown!"?
    As I stated before, I heard the same schpeel from the nvidiots like minded folks like yourself when the 69xx cards released. I cannot help but notice you did not seem interested in taking me up on my $500 of team red vs. $500 of team green. My unlocked 6950's would track a mudhole in team greens backside.

BTW.. I'd sure like to see a quote of me actually saying team red did not want the single GPU crown. Until then have a good time beating that strawman up.

If NVIDIA had launched on January 9, and the performance was only 15-25% higher than a 580, and the 7970 was due in March/April, would you be telling people "Might as well buy a Kepler today, who knows when that 7970 will launch!" AMDScooter?
    Not that any of that ^^ paragraph bears any resemblance to reality whatsoever. But had kelper released with the same improvement and OC headroom over the previous generation at the same price point.. I'd have bought a pair of them. Not all of us share your apparent hangups about brand loyalty.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Why don't they just sell them at those clock speeds then and look better in the launch reviews than this?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/28.html

16% at 25X16.

Why do 95% of OEMs void your warranty if they detect it has been OCd? (including AMD I believe)

Like when AMD put the "awesum" auto OCing switch on the 6990 but said using it voids your warranty?
    You seem to know a lot about NV, could you tell me how many reference NV 580 cards can you run more than one monitor on?
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

15%?

Better watch that OCing Activate: AMD, I hear it is risky. Almost as risky as installing 196.75 drivers.

-The Gipper

well they sure as hell don't design them to be hot, leaky messes like Fermi. Best part about the 1.13ghz OC? It uses the same amount of power as a stock GTX580 while grinding it into the ground. You can pretend the 580 is still the better value, but the CHEAPEST comparable GTX580 is $550 on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814130655). Don't forget, the 7970 has 3GB of ram. Anyways, I'm done arguing with you on this one. I think we'll meet again when you try to shill for Kepler.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

well they sure as hell don't design them to be hot, leaky messes like Fermi. Best part about the 1.13ghz OC? It uses the same amount of power as a stock GTX580 while grinding it into the ground. You can pretend the 580 is still the better value, but the CHEAPEST comparable GTX580 is $550 on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814130655). Don't forget, the 7970 has 3GB of ram. Anyways, I'm done arguing with you on this one. I think we'll meet again when you try to shill for Kepler.
    Maybe they "should" design like NVIDIA:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

What do we learn from the biggest gaming hardware survey in the world, by far?

1. 7 of top 10 video cards are NVIDIA
    2. The GTX470 and GTX570 outsold the HD6950
    3. The GTX480 and the GTX580 outsold the HD6970
    4. The GTX460 sold more than the 6870, 6970, and 6950 combined
    5. The GTX560 sold more than the 6870.
    6. NVIDIA 58%, ATi 36%

Maybe the rest of the world hasn't figured out how great those ATi designs are like you Activate AMD?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AMD

$3.94b market cap for AMD. That means ATi is worth less than $1b these days.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=NVDA

NVIDIA on the other hand is worth $8.38b these days.

Hmmm.....so NVIDIA's cards cost more...and sell lots more....and their company is worth over 8X what ATi is worth....and you want NVIDIA to start designing like ATi?!

I sure hope they don't- I'm paying a crapload of tax supporting all the laid off ATi and AMD employees already. We need NVIDIA and their employees in the tax base. All ATi can show NVIDIA is how to fail.

This thread is going to stay civilised, isn't it?

M

I think you just learned more about overclocking and overvolting than you did GTX570s.

Now you have two choices:

1. Spend another $300 on a video card.
    2. Steal $300 from Galaxy and spend the rest of your life looking in the mirror and seeing a thief. If I bought the 570 from you last month, then returned it to you as defective and you saw me post on another forum that it worked when I got it but burned after I overvolted it and overclocked it, you would call me a thief. That's what you'll be if you successfully RMA.

Sort of a bad position to be in for 10% more benchmarking performance you probably didn't even notice in game play, isn't it?

Buying factory OCd cards is the best way to go if you think that 10% is going to make a difference.
    Guess what jethro....I took my factory overclocked video cards and.....overclocked them!!!!! I did the same with my 2600k! Hell, I even overclocked my cell phone. I know, some crazy stuff 'eh? Funny, in all the time I've been oc'ing, over all the years and all the hardware, I've never had a problem at all. I sure have enjoyed the extra free performance though.

And please, an actual Nvidia/ATI pissing contest? In 2012? Really? Sure they were fun and amusing back in 2003, but now this sort of thing just seems kind of strange to me. Ah well, I'll just keep on going for the best bang for the buck, and then oc'ing them to sweeten the deal like I always have.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Guess what jethro....I took my factory overclocked video cards and.....overclocked them!!!!! I did the same with my 2600k! Hell, I even overclocked my cell phone. I know, some crazy stuff 'eh? Funny, in all the time I've been oc'ing, over all the years and all the hardware, I've never had a problem at all. I sure have enjoyed the extra free performance though.

And please, an actual Nvidia/ATI pissing contest? In 2012? Really? Sure they were fun and amusing back in 2003, but now this sort of thing just seems kind of strange to me. Ah well, I'll just keep on going for the best bang for the buck, and then oc'ing them to sweeten the deal like I always have.
    I don't have anything at all against OCing as long as the person is willing to take responsibility for the failed parts.

For the most part, I think OCing is most useful for buying cheap parts and making them perform like more expensive parts. Usually the high end parts are clocked close to what they can be clocked at with graphic cards.

What I'm disagreeing with here is the assertion that companies design the cards for high OCs. That would be counter productive for sales. If ATi knew 99% of their chips could run reliably at 1022MHz instead of 922MHz, that is what they would be clocked at. Their sales depend on offering performance that beats their competition.

For me personally, I don't OC anything that would cost me $500 to replace.

With GPUs, I can add another GPU for $500 and get a lot more performance than an OC could ever get me. I never run less than 2 GPUs- that is how you get performance improvements that allow real IQ improvements.

With CPUs I'd rather just buy good cpus than around with it.

http://lab501.ro/placi-video/asus-gt...recventa-cpu/3

Check out the differences in framerates in framerates (especially minimums) on your 2600K between when it's clocked at 3.3 and a massive OC to 5.3.

There's nothing there that would be a game changing experience.

What I'm disagreeing with here is the assertion that companies design the cards for high OCs. That would be counter productive for sales. If ATi knew 99% of their chips could run reliably at 1022MHz instead of 922MHz, that is what they would be clocked at. Their sales depend on offering performance that beats their competition.
    I have proof already that they altered the underlying specs, unified shaders, memory bandwidth, other things. It balances out. Pay less, less performance. Pay more, more performance.

This thread makes me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post

This Ban Hammer makes me chuckle. Mistook it for a signature at first but it just didn't look Skyrimish...

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

Why on earth would I ever feel bad about using my warranty? I actually would feel awesome if my card died after 11 months of usage and got a new card from warranty. Companies have warranties for a reason. Companies fully expect people to overclock hardware these days and fully prepare budget wise for warranty on every part.

Especially these days when the top card is $600-1000. You're either rich or stupid if you don't utilize your warranty when possible.

Personally, I dont overclock much. I usually just buy parts that are good enough for the job stock. I just dont like dealing with system instability issues. I do run my 2600K at 5.2ghz though simply because the beast does that without a single hitch of difference in stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    Why on earth would I ever feel bad about using my warranty? I actually would feel awesome if my card died after 11 months of usage and got a new card from warranty. Companies have warranties for a reason. Companies fully expect people to overclock hardware these days and fully prepare budget wise for warranty on every part.

Especially these days when the top card is $600-1000. You're either rich or stupid if you don't utilize your warranty when possible.
    Just an honest person with some integrity.

You see, most companies state in their warranty that overclocking voids the warranty.

So, were I to run a part out of spec and RMA it after breaking it would the same as doing things like dropping a bowling ball on my tile floor, and making the guy who installed it do it again.

Or taking the air filter out of my truck to increase airflow, then getting a new engine on warranty when the engine gets full of road dirt.

Doesn't matter if the item is $6, $600, or $6000.- a person needs to take responsibility for their actions and not steal from others. If I overvolted a card and burned it up, RMAd it a. every time I looked in the mirror I'd see a thief b. I couldn't teach my son how to be a man and not steal, because I'd be a thief.