Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 gas prices, oh boy..

Yep, the last time I was out, I met them in Phoenix back in 2010 for the nationals.

Back in the early 70's at the boat drags, final round for Top Fuel Flatbottom: Larry Schwabenland in Jokers Wild and Ray Caselli in the Panic Mouse pulling up to the starting line - it cleared the pits out completely, even the hot dog vendors. Stands packed, people crowded against the safety ropes near the water - it was awesome!!!! A pair of blown fuel lake ski boats going 155 mph through the timing traps. When then dropped the cavitation plates to launch, water cascading off the chines, nose buried, then they hit it.....

Those were the best days of the boat drags - they hydros are faster today - but, there were more legends driving back then and it was more exciting. More classes running back then, injected fuel - Wayne Mettler had a injected fuel hydro with nitrous - "Myassis Draggon". And the blown gassers were killer. Go down to the big end near the traps and listen to the blowers whine as the boats came haulingass down the liquid 1/4 mile.
    Last edited by SteveW; 04-17-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Still elevated...according to WSJ at about 3.79 average. And I notice this. Its true but ever notice on the ride up its never mentioned:

Falling prices, on the other hand, provide a form of stimulus, as money that otherwise would have gone into drivers' tanks instead flows to more-productive uses. The EIA estimates that a 10-cent drop in pump prices can add roughly 0.1% to disposable household income, said Kay Smith, a senior economist at EIA.

And folks wonder why a stimulus package cimprised mainly of tax cuts dont have any real residual impact. Pretty obvious the added government spending so far as individuals was concerned lamded in the cash registers of the local Citgo station...and that money for the most part sails away without leaving the same impacts that we might see when we spend at a local business.

Gas prices still on the rise here. Media seems to have gone missing.. must be a (D) in the WH.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

seems to be covered by all.

Survey: U.S. gasoline prices drop 7 cents

(CNN) -- The average price for a gallon of regular U.S. gasoline slipped almost 7 cents over the past two weeks, chasing a drop in crude oil prices, according to a nationwide survey published Sunday.

A gallon of regular now costs $3.85 on average, the Lundberg Survey found. In the past month, average prices have fallen more than 12 cents.

"The price decline comes from lower crude oil prices," said publisher Trilby Lundberg.
    http://www.moneynews.com/Economy/Lun...5/07/id/438172

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/06...ownward-in-us/

bb

It's been holding steady here for the last few weeks at the low $3.80's level. As a side note, I tried running regular in my car in the hopes I was imagining my performance and gas losses when I last did it a couple of years ago. Nope. My car has a very noticeable power decrease and even worse is now knocking at low rpms like crazy. Of course the fact that our regular grade gas at this elevation is 85 octane probably has a lot to do with that too. They say that because there is so much less oxygen at this elevation, 85 octane is all that's needed. Well, their not fooling my car!

^^^ That's nice and all bb.. no doubt the national media is sure to notice when there is any drop in prices which are still double what they were when the SCOAMF took office.

I'm talking about local prices which are still headed for $4.25/gal. and local media.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Im waiting for Obama to point out the decreases are a result of his policies. Why not? He takes credit for everything else that happens thats "spinworthy"

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Im waiting for Obama to point out the decreases are a result of his policies. Why not? He takes credit for everything else that happens thats "spinworthy"
    Pre- 2008 price increases = repuggies in the WH.
    Post 2008 price increases = Arab Spring, Japanese tsunami, Oil speculators.
    Post 2008 price drops = bamma.. through osmosis or sumtin.

-The Gipper

What the hell is going on with gas prices NOW ? 2 weeks ago it
    was at 3.99 here in the I.E. in So Cal, now it's up by 30 cents a
    gal. Is this whacked out state the only one seeing an obscene
    rise in gas prices ?

It happens every year about this time. They have to shift to the summer formula which is more expensive.
    Brian

Was REALLY expecting gas prices to skyrocket for memorial weekend. Instead the exact opposite happend and prices dropped to the lowest ive seen this year. Really weird. I feel like the people setting these prices pride themselves on being as unpredictable as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    Was REALLY expecting gas prices to skyrocket for memorial weekend. Instead the exact opposite happend and prices dropped to the lowest ive seen this year. Really weird. I feel like the people setting these prices pride themselves on being as unpredictable as possible.
    My local newspaper was reporting that prices over the weekend could go up as much as $.35. People were lining up to get their cars filled up and the price didn't budge (up or down).
    Brian

Easy answer ... ELECTION YEAR.

Prices may even drop on July 4th as well and hold awhile until the fall. BUT, if something happens in the market with a big impact, that can easily be erased away.

If fuel was below $2.70/gal. I could afford to spend money easily to help the economy. BUT for now, I stay home, surf the web, play games and don't drive anywhere. My sister sent me a website link to take virtual mini-vacations online for FREE. Way cheaper than driving there.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump maverick

Quote Originally Posted by bmaverick View Post
    Easy answer ... ELECTION YEAR.
    Bingo! And the powers that put O in there and have manipulated the primaries want the boy in for another 4 - too much easy money to be made.

Regular unleaded = $4.39

Peoples Republik of Kalifornia...