Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 gas prices, oh boy..

Few thoughts as we see the prcses continue to rise. Im glad we have speculators involved in oil bacause the rise has been steady and slow as opposed to a drastic jump when a market is suddenly(Iran) disturbed.
    What they do is hedge the market so were more immune to "shocked markets". Ill expect my envelope from the commodity market by Wednesday. LOL.

I hadnt realized it had gotten this bad in England. Wow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...d-of-fuel.html

You would think that the tax policy there would have made a situation like this impossible. You know..the theory is demand is carefully regulated via taxes..so says the government model. Id be irritated to find a government as mature as this still hasnt learned lessons that make this umpossible.
    Obviously no slight to Enmore or Meridian but sheesh man.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Few thoughts as we see the prcses continue to rise. Im glad we have speculators involved in oil bacause the rise has been steady and slow as opposed to a drastic jump when a market is suddenly(Iran) disturbed.
    What they do is hedge the market so were more immune to "shocked markets". Ill expect my envelope from the commodity market by Wednesday. LOL.

You would think that the tax policy there would have made a situation like this impossible. You know..the theory is demand is carefully regulated via taxes..so says the government model. Id be irritated to find a government as mature as this still hasnt learned lessons that make this umpossible.
    The worst part? Knowing we have the most European president in the history of this nation! He wants us to be just like them. I still can't believe the fools voted him in!

I see CNN is testing the option for the Administration with this lead story

TAPPING U.S. OIL RESERVES

Fuel supply was back to normal a day or two after last week's moronic panic buying.

Still, fuel prices continue to climb thanks to taxation increases, debasement of the currency through 'quantitive easing', speculators and the ever increasing demand from India & China.

I paid 1.41 a litre this morning. That's $8.51 a US gallon.

I think you guys would be in open armed revolt of you had to pay that. Maybe we should be too.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    Fuel supply was back to normal a day or two after last week's moronic panic buying.

Still, fuel prices continue to climb thanks to taxation increases, debasement of the currency through 'quantitive easing', speculators and the ever increasing demand from India & China.

I paid 1.41 a litre this morning. That's $8.51 a US gallon.

I think you guys would be in open armed revolt of you had to pay that. Maybe we should be too.

Ah - cheap fuel as I call it. My car is mapped for 99-RON, so the last tank was 148.9 a litre. But at about 60%, taxation is the main issue.

M

^^and here we complain over taxes on gas that are about 48 or 50 cents on average I think..Fed + State.
    But were funny about our cars..probably far different than europeans.
    We wont stand for high fuel and older guys here will recall gas lines and lottery schemes..that got really ugly.
    Part of the difference in perception is the mere size difference here. We dont have reliable public transit alternatives to bizz from one end of the country to another in a timely way.
    Also our cars are to us..just about what a horse was to the old cowboys.
    It was more than just point A to B. It was/is an attitude that assumes a part of my pure freedom is the ability to just "go" in the least complicated way...no electric cords/recharging stations after 30 miles etc.
    Also a good portion of the population works further than typical bus routes are an alternative. And 4.00 $ is about our threshold before we get real nasty LOL.

Well it used to be that way here too, but it's so damn expensive now that it kinda takes the joy out of driving.

The fuel I got was standard unleaded from a supermarket. As Meridian said, super-unleaded, diesel or branded fuel is even more.

^^and here we complain over taxes on gas that are about 48 or 50 cents on average I think..Fed + State.
    But were funny about our cars..probably far different than europeans.
    We wont stand for high fuel and older guys here will recall gas lines and lottery schemes..that got really ugly.
    Part of the difference in perception is the mere size difference here. We dont have reliable public transit alternatives to bizz from one end of the country to another in a timely way.
    Also our cars are to us..just about what a horse was to the old cowboys.
    It was more than just point A to B. It was/is an attitude that assumes a part of my pure freedom is the ability to just "go" in the least complicated way...no electric cords/recharging stations after 30 miles etc.
    Also a good portion of the population works further than typical bus routes are an alternative. And 4.00 $ is about our threshold before we get real nasty LOL.
    You're getting me depressed jimz.

My dad talks about how he used to drive to California for the drag races in Pomona. He and two buddies would agree to go on Friday night, throw a change of clothes and a six-pack into the car, drive all night, have a fun weekend in SoCal, be back in Wisconsin in time for work on Monday.

It's sad that my generation of 20-somethings will never experience the random roadtrip. We have a big, diverse country with lots of scenery and highways but gas is too expensive for youngins to drive across the country on a whim.

A couple of friends and I did a cross country road trip to celebrate high school graduation but it would be too expensive now.
    Brian

jimz

I should also point out that my car averages about 22mpg, and over here that makes it a gas-guzzler. Over there it would probably qualify as moderately thrifty. Fuel have never really been cheap over here, and in believe in real terms it's no worse than it was in the Fifties or Sixties, if not a lot cheaper. But over there fuel has been cheap forever, so putting the price up is not likely to happen to anything like the scale it does here as it would be too much of a shock.

M

Hmmm...I don't want to jinx it, but yesterday I saw gas prices drop at my local station for the first time in weeks. Had been steadily rising to a high of $4.10 for regular, and yesterday it was $4.04.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Hmmm...I don't want to jinx it, but yesterday I saw gas prices drop at my local station for the first time in weeks. Had been steadily rising to a high of $4.10 for regular, and yesterday it was $4.04.
    Obambi finally fangered out how to lower those ebil gas prices he inherited from Boosh.

Four more years!!!

Prices still slipping...got back below $4 here yesterday....

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Prices still slipping...got back below $4 here yesterday....
    Going nowhere but up here. Lowest I've seen is about $4.15/gal.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

The national average price of regular gasoline is up .07 from a year ago, down .18 from a week ago, and the same as yesterday.

Ready for Summer?

Expectations are that after the Obambi wind farms begin their conversion to wind powered oil derricks, the price of electricity will plunge and Chevy Volts will come with optional AAA battery packs that simply leak rather than explode.