2 x GTX 295's Dead

I have two GTX 295's in my system (water cooled). I needed to rearrange my loop and took them out for a bit. Once done I replaced them and... nothing.

I reseated them and again, no display on either of them. The green lights are on so power isn't the problem. I could see that the PC was booting as the keyboard displayed and I was able to use the keys to shut it down.

I reconfigured the cards but still no results. I put them in a different machine and still dead. I used the card from that other machine in my system and it worked fine so it's not the system or the monitor.

As far as I am aware the have not been dropped and I'm pretty sure no water got on them as I was particularly careful about that.

Any ideas as to why these 2 cards would go at the same time? They have water blocks on them and I'm planning on disassembling for a good cleaning but can't think this would be the problem.

Will post pics when I get home.

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mike Richer; 01-16-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Re: 2 x GTX 295's Dead

Seems something happened to make them die. I guess it was something involved with taking them out. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an anti-static discharge that killed them or something. Rather sad however life goes on and there are superior cards out there as replacements. I suppose all you can do is troubleshoot as much as possible to fix and beyond that superior cards can be used as replacements.

Hrm, its pretty hard to say why that might happen. You might want to strip your rig down, reset CMOS and build it back up again. Not a reformat, but sometimes I've had issues where rigs just didn't start unless I did a compete teardown. I've rarely been able to fully pinpoint the problem

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Hope not, using anti static wristband but you never know.

Didn't get a chance to break it down last night so I'll do it tonight and do an install on my spare PC.

Cheers.

Hard to believe BOTH cards would go at the same time unless there was something like a lightning strike, or a water leak, etc....

Hope you figure it out.

I had this sort of thing happen with the 295s, and IIRC I just plugged the monitor into an output I wasn't using and all was well again.