Integrate graphics advise needed

Looking to build an inexpensive machine for a child. Web and Sims 3 type gaming. Going to be a micro-atx small build. Probably an htpc type case. I was looking at either an I3-2105T or A4-3400 or a6-3650... Also looked at a Pentium G-840. Concerned about heat with the A6 though. Which solution will give best all around graphics performance? Currently using a 780g solution. So long as there is an improvement in performance I'm open to chips.

Re: Integrate graphics advise needed

amd is much better with integrated gfx!
    That'd be the way I'd go unless you wanna add a cheap video card in there.

^^^ What he said... AMD currently is the best game in town as far as integrated graphics.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Yup, i3-2100T; no way I'd put up with AMD graphics drivers!

ASUS P8H61-M LX (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131787
    The Money Trap = i7 2600K | Corsair H100 push/pull fans | ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3 | 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill DDR3 2133 | 2 x eVGA GTX 480 SLI | 80GB Intel G320 - OS, 256GB Crucial M4 - Games | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPC 1200W | Win7 Ultimate

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know. Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Integrated graphics advise needed

I was leaning towards an I-3 only because it seems to have more computaional power. I don't want to buy something that will suck for everything other than basic graphics too.

Eh, you aren't losing much in CPU perf with the AMD solution, but you do gain a lot in graphics. AMD's graphics drivers are not as robust as NVIDIA's have been as of late, but they are a damn shade better than what Intel puts out for software.

I was reading reviews of I-3, Pentium and AMD APU chips. Anything CPU related showed the Intel crushing the AMD. It was the other way around with anything relating to graphics. Is this not true?

Go Intel.
    You're obviously not going to be happy with AMD.

I'm still trying to figure out why you even started this thread.
    Looking to build an inexpensive machine for a child. Web and Sims 3 type gaming.
    I think they answered your question.
    Oh and about drivers . I haven't seen any real problems since the ATI days.

Bill
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Single threaded performance will favor Intel. Once you get above 2 threads then things even out, with perhaps a small advantage on the AMD side. Graphics... AMD blows Intel out of the water in terms of compatibility, quality, and speed.

I personally would choose the native quad core with the better graphics, but my workloads in such a situation would be more aimed towards gaming and graphics rather than hard CPU number crunching.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshMST View Post
    Single threaded performance will favor Intel. Once you get above 2 threads then things even out, with perhaps a small advantage on the AMD side.
    Thats not true. Multi-threaded performance up to 2 threads will absolutely favor intel, and up to 4 threads will be a close race due to i3 having hyperthreading. sandy bridge cores are so much faster than the old stars core in the Llano that on a strictly CPU computing power basis, it'd be hard to recommend Llano.

That said: I would certainly go with the A6 in this situation, the graphics improvement is quite large and you're far more likely to be constrained by graphics performance limitations than CPU power in the usage case you've outlined. HD3000 graphics on the intel are passable for HD video decode, but you'll have trouble playing anything on them at anything but the lowest settings. Plus, the drivers from Intel are old and broken for many games

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Note I said "above 2 threads" which to me means "more than 2 threads". In single and dual thread apps the Intel processor is going to be faster, so no difference in opinion there.

A-series vs. i3 is probably the most interesting and competitive offerings as compared to everything above them. Bulldozer vs. i5/i7 is pretty much a clean kill for Intel. But back to the topic it seems that the 4 Stars cores match up well with the Intel dual core Sandy Bridge with hyperthreading in most applications. It is just in graphics areas where Intel falls down as compared to the A-series.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshMST View Post
    Note I said "above 2 threads" which to me means "more than 2 threads". In single and dual thread apps the Intel processor is going to be faster, so no difference in opinion there.

A-series vs. i3 is probably the most interesting and competitive offerings as compared to everything above them. Bulldozer vs. i5/i7 is pretty much a clean kill for Intel. But back to the topic it seems that the 4 Stars cores match up well with the Intel dual core Sandy Bridge with hyperthreading in most applications. It is just in graphics areas where Intel falls down as compared to the A-series.
    derp, pay no attention to the man with the foot in his mouth

You are correct, although according to anandtech's benchmarks (which i'm referencing here simply because their bench tool is so damn handy) its either a dead heat or a win for intel in every test, with nothing to justify going with the AMD over the intel.. until you get to the IGP. In normal, everyday usage the differences are marginal on the CPU side, but the IGP will reap tangible results

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I ended up with an A8-3850. First AMD build in a while, so hoping for the best. Graphics won out over raw power that would probably be wasted.