VIRUS problem or not?

a couple times in the last few days the date on my computer has been messed up which affected my security certificates for browsing and blocked me from going to some sites like facebook and my webmail.

once i fixed the time i was able to get on these sites no problem.

in the meantime my email provider service tech had me install eset online scanner. once downloaded and installed this scanner found 13 threats in about an hour long scan.

problem is my free avg scanner was just updated and scanned before this and found nothing.

also since then i have uninstalled avg and installed and updated a free trial of mcafee and it basically found nothing as well ?

so is eset a scam finding threats that dont exist to try and get me to buy its product?
    and what caused the time to be messed up? well at least one time could have been cuz i had to reset bios after installing new video card and messing up a bios setting in the process, BUT NOT SURE what caused the second time screwup?
    Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 with 8 GB Corsair Vengence CMZ8GX3M2A1
    PHENOM II 4 CORE 955 Black Edition cooled by Antec-Kuhler 920 Watercooler
    RADEON HD 6870 lighting up; LG 34" & Acer 23" monitors plus 60"LED
    ANTEC EarthPower 750W psu, Creative SB X-FI Extreme Music

Re: VIRUS problem or not?

Warning: Dated views of an aging computer knob to follow. . .

Most common cause I know is a weak battery on the motherboard, and that's a rare occurrence. Even then, it would only show if you turned off your PC as that's the only time the system relies on the motherboard's clock that in turn relies on the battery. If the battery is dead, that would typically cause the date/time to reset to some obscure value upon start-up.

As for the assorted scanners, I can't speak to eset. I have seen different virus scanners find drastically different results depending on what they believe constitutes a "threat". I've also seen McAfee miss a virus that hit me at work, but to their credit they issued an updated DAT within a couple hours of me isolating the offender and sending it to them. If you're not seeing odd behavior or weirdness in task manager, I wouldn't worry. . .

now i am getting this

bdagent.exe error; missing dll files , please reinstall bit defender to remove.

why would i want to reinstall it if it didnt uninstall properly the first time?

how do i get rid of this? it pops up after each rteboot then its gone?

can i go into run; and type in msdos startup or whatever its called to make sure it doesnt try to start bitdefender?

eset itself isnt a scam but theres no telling that maybe a pop up thats displayed to you just SAID eset but really was (malware).

It could be you have something.. try going to trend micro and run an online scan.

eset has an online scanner too at eset.com

HitmanPro (only fully functional for 30 days, after 30 it will still find stuff and tell you where it is but will not delete it for you)
    Superantispyware
    Malwarebytes
    Microsoft Security Essentials

Run MSE first, then malwarebytes, then super and finally hitman to make sure it's all gone.
    TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

if i have a free trial of mcafee running can i still use other online scanners to find things?

mcafee found almost nothing except some bitdefender remnant after i uninstalled it.

CGK: sent you a pm

Laterz,
    dafanman

Click on Pic for Dafanman's Specs

Forum Rules
    Gigabyte New Owners Guide
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Quote Originally Posted by cgk123 View Post
    if i have a free trial of mcafee running can i still use other online scanners to find things?

mcafee found almost nothing except some bitdefender remnant after i uninstalled it.
    Try using Malwarebytes Anti malware and AVIRA anti virus. McAfee is clearly inferior to AVIRA.