Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Anyone still have their old AMD XP's around? What have you done with yours?

I'll never forget my first build. It was a Slot A Athlon setup with a 500mhz (woohoo!) Athlon and an Asus K7M mobo. I'll never forget how the mobo came packaged. It arrived in a plain brown cardboard box. I thought at first that I had received a refurbished board but upon doing some research found out that a lot of the mobo makers back then were so scared of Intel cutting ties with them for making boards for AMD, they went so far as to put the Athlon boards in plain brown boxes. It's a LOT different than the incredible amount of marketing the boxes have on them now. Heh, it seems I've told this story before, many years ago.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...5&postcount=32

Geez, kbohip, your link was a real blast from the past. Dangtx, I remember him well. These forums were something like AMD forums, or something like that? It was straight AMD, I know that. None of those Intel pinheads. You were AMD or Intel, red or blue, Republican or Democrat, Shiite or Sunni, Catholic or Protestant.

I joined in 2002 after being on another general forum and someone steered me this way. I had just finished building my Soltek DRV5 system with an XP 1700+ cpu, which is sitting in a drawer with all my old computer parts that my wife wants me to dumps but which every 17th Tuesday or so I NEED one of those parts.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Kingston HyperX 120g SSD (W7 64-bit), 1TB Black Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, WD Black Caviar 1TB OS drive accelerated via RST by 60G Mushkin Enhanced Chronos, 320 WD Blue Caviar, unknown DVD drive, MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, old Antec Super Lanboy case, LG 22" monitor, Win 7 HP 64-bit

Still using mine everyday, AMD-XP-M lower voltage type. Mine hate the 200 MHz bus, takes 1.85 volts to keep it stable and it wants max temp lower then 44C. Speedfan show the temp now at 41C with Boinc running seti@home. My recent average credit for seti@home is only around 100, thats with me watching youtube and or looking around the internet and or playing games.

bootmeup

Super PI 1.5 8mil 0h 3m 28.815s checksum 8DEFE50D

Haha yeah good times. I still use the AMDMB style on the forum layouts.

I actually tried to put together a project of getting an old school system like that back together again. I have a 2500 Mobile, a slk900u, a gainward geforce4 ti4600 and some bh-5 memory. But I went through 2 DFI lanparty/infinity nforce2 boards with no success and sorta gave up on it.

It's interesting how many old names I forgot about. Like tink, and vic as well. Also 3dfxrain seemed like he still had some sanity back then. I stumbled on this thread too : http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=472930 Didnt realise I got mentioned XD. Kinda drifted in and out of posting here the last 3-5 years. It is odd thinking how when I joined this forum I was like a sophmore in high school. Time flies..

I've really switched loyalties since then. Not that im really loyal to any company but I used to be AMD/ATI all the way now im Intel/Nvidia all the way it seems
    Last edited by Bearded Frog; 03-26-2012 at 03:50 PM.

^^I hear that. I joined when i was building my first real "enthusiast" computer in high school.. started because I couldn't afford pre-built. Still can't afford a pre-built but I've raised my standards

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I don't have an XP but I do have the older 1ghz Thunderbird. Still going strong after 12 years. I relegated it to watching movies and doing basic office tasks.

3 years ago I gave my XP3400+ setup that I had been using as my first HTPC to my ex-wife when I built a new HTPC.
    It was a Biostar K8NHAGrand mobo, the XP3400+, 2Gb DDR memory and a 7800GT AGP video card. She's still using it today, mainly web surfing and Office.

Sam
    Main- ASRock Z77 Pro 4/i7-3770k/16 Gb DDR3 1600/EVGA GTX 780 SC 3Gb/Samsung 840 EVO 500Gb/ Hitachi 3Tb&WD1Tb HDDs/Asus BW-12B1ST BD burner/OCZ ZS 750w PSU/Asus 24" LCDs x2/Win 8.1 x64

HTPC- Asus F2A85-M CSM/ A10-5700 3.4Ghz/8Gb DDR3-1600/Samsung 830 64Gb SSD/LG BH14NS40 BD burner/Antec 500W PSU/Win 7 x64/Antec Fusion Remote case/Samsung 42" plasma/Pioneer VSX-821-K

Wife's PC- Biostar A75MH/A8-3850 2.9Ghz/8GB DDR3-1600/ Samsung 830 64Gb SSD/ 1Tb CaviarBlack HDD/LiteOn 24X DVDRW/500w PSU/Asus VH242H 24" LCD/Win 7 x64

Master Bedroom HTPC- - Biostar TA75MH2/AMD A4-5300@3.4Ghz/8Gb DDR3-1600/Samsung 830 128Gb SSD/LG DVD-RW/Silverstone ML03B case/Toshiba 32C120U 32 LCD TV/Win7 x64

SpareBedroom- Biostar TA75M/AMD A6-3500@2.1Ghz/8Gb DDR3-1600/Samsung 830 128Gb SSD/LG DVD-RW/Silverstone ML03B case/Toshiba 32C120U 32 LCD TV/Win7 x64

My Laptop- HP g7-2233cl/ AMD A8-4500M@1.9Ghz/8Gb DDR3-1066/Samsung 840 500Gb SSD/Win 8.1 x64

Wife's tablet- Apple ipad2 64Gb wi-fi

I can't tell for sure, but there sure seemed to be a lot more folks on the forums back then. There sure were a lot more major manufacturers, and so each one had its own sub-forum. I know they were all condensed here (I used to be one of the Intel Gigabyte mods, now I'm just an unaffiliated geezer). But the numbers of folks visiting seem down (although at times I'm pleasant surprised at how many people are on the forums at least visiting). Do others have the same impression? Are there numbers that indicate one way or the other? I know there are still some great sites out there. I've been using another forum for my new ASRock build and it has been quite lively.

Which reminds me, I need to change my sig. The DS3 has been officially retired (soon to be reassembled in some fashion) and replaced by ASRock. Long live the DS3, my first Intel build. I started building systems 10 years ago, the first 5 years AMD, the last five Intel. The C2Ds caused the switch and I have not returned to AMD though I follow them.

marty
    Last edited by alex666; 04-01-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Kingston HyperX 120g SSD (W7 64-bit), 1TB Black Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, WD Black Caviar 1TB OS drive accelerated via RST by 60G Mushkin Enhanced Chronos, 320 WD Blue Caviar, unknown DVD drive, MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, old Antec Super Lanboy case, LG 22" monitor, Win 7 HP 64-bit

yes alex666, lot more people was posting here in the past. Think it was because site name AMDMB with AMD in it and CPUs and or motherboards was not as overclock friendly as they are today. I use to have to come here to learn how to do the different mods, like the pencil trick to unlock cpu and set multiplier and volts, wire trick to bump volt, get mod bios, get mods for ram volts or lots of other mods and talk about them here.

The old info is still here and I just did the bios mod 2 days ago that I just read ( 2002 post I think), was running my old AMD XP-M at 2200MHz at 200MHz bus multiplier 11on the edge stable as long temp stay under about 45C. With the mod Bios, it runs around 2484MHz same volts on 216MHz bus multiplier 11.5 with ram timing the same . Tested it up to 220MHz bus and started getting errors at 1 tick 2 CL 3 tRCD 2 tRP 5 tRAS on the same ram volts I was running, 2.6 volts I think, running the memtest86+ from my floppy drive. Could go higher maybe with more volts, but I was happy and just drop bus 4MHz and ran the memory test about 6 hours with no errors. Then booted to windows xp and ran prime 95 torture test small FFTs to check the CPU on 216MHz bus multiplier 11 about 4 hours and bump it to 216MHz X 11.5 and reran prime95 TT small over night with no errors and cpu temp hit 52C. Boinc with seti@home runs about 2C higher temp now at 43C.

Every little bit helps on this old stuff seems stable, will see in the next few weeks.

Thank you to the user trats for the modded bios 1T with a little others mods done to it.

Super PI 1.5 8mil 0h 3m 28.815s checksum 8DEFE50D

I just gave away AMD 2500 away with an Asus A7N8X , also got a Soyo Dragon KT400 with a AMD 2600 barton sitting in the closet with a gigabyte K8nsc 939 with an AMD64 3000 in it and its doing the same as the other one sitting in the closet

Quote Originally Posted by alex666 View Post
    I can't tell for sure, but there sure seemed to be a lot more folks on the forums back then. There sure were a lot more major manufacturers, and so each one had its own sub-forum. I know they were all condensed here (I used to be one of the Intel Gigabyte mods, now I'm just an unaffiliated geezer). But the numbers of folks visiting seem down (although at times I'm pleasant surprised at how many people are on the forums at least visiting). Do others have the same impression? Are there numbers that indicate one way or the other? I know there are still some great sites out there. I've been using another forum for my new ASRock build and it has been quite lively.

Which reminds me, I need to change my sig. The DS3 has been officially retired (soon to be reassembled in some fashion) and replaced by ASRock. Long live the DS3, my first Intel build. I started building systems 10 years ago, the first 5 years AMD, the last five Intel. The C2Ds caused the switch and I have not returned to AMD though I follow them.

marty
    I think there are a lot of factors contributing there. I think the one that makes the biggest impact is the fact that processors are so darned powerful right outta the box and comparatively cheap now that overclocking is not as necessary as it was in the past for top performance. We can all thank AMD for giving Intel the competition (motivation) to up it's game and keep it's prices in check. IMHO if not for the Athlon we'd all still be running 500Mhz Pentium II's and paying $400 a pop for em.

My2c.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Here's what I've done with some of mine :

Somewhere hot and dusty, with lots of sin.

I still have a running Asus based nForce2 system, it's working as a media server with an athlon xp-mobile.
    Never trust a programmer with a screwdriver, if he starts talking about sonic ones, RUN!!
    Run faster and further then you've ever run before!!

It's too much work to update my specs in a sig, it's a 6 core budget build. If you must know, it's in my profile.

Anyone in Edmonton want a few? Mine are sitting in old antistatic bags waiting for the right hobbiest to spark them back to life. I have maybe 15x of the Tbird, XP and Palominos. Not worth the shipping. A lot of the same era mobos that worked when put away too. Tons of sdram. All on the to-do list... that has some how gotten to be 5+ years old.

I did piece together a P4 3gh last summer for a neighborhood friend of my son. Sold it to his mom for $20, then turned around and spent the $20 on the first Ice Cream truck I seen for the my boy and his buds.

A lot of that old hardware is priceless - only worth the smiles of the next generation that get to surf'em....
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizz0 View Post
    Everytime I build a new system, I turn the old one into a Gentoo Linux system. Why you ask? To build a cluster of course. What is a cluster you ask? Well, the systems work together as a team, using aggregate memory and cpu power over the internet to build packages faster ( install programs in the Windows world ). I did have at one time 7 systems working together as a team. LOTS of fun!
    The DEA is looking at that electric bill I'm sure.