17" gaming laptop choices

I'm planning to buy a gaming laptop, and I've narrowed it down to the ASUS G74SX series and the MSI GT780 series.

Both series sport a Core i7 2670M, dual HDD slots, a 17" screen, backlit keyboards, and at least 12GB of RAM.

The two models which I am considering are: Asus G74SX-RH71 ($1489.89), which has a GTX560M with 3GB of RAM, and MSI GT780DX-277US ($1499.99), which has a GTX570M with 1.5GB of RAM.

I have a few questions:
    1. Considering that the G74SX has 3GB of RAM for the GTX560M and the GT780DX has 1.5GB for the GTX570M, which is likely to have better performance? Is it worth the extra $300 to get a GT780DX with 3GB of RAM?
    2. If I were going to spend the extra $300, would it make more sense to invest it in a G74SX variant which has an SSD, a blu-ray drive and 16GB of RAM instead of 12?
    3. Should I consider another brand (other than MSI and Asus) and if so, why?

Thanks,
    Annirak
    That's a sweet rig in your sig, but does it fold?

DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'

Re: 17" gaming laptop choices

1.5GB of RAM is ok, slightly better performance with 3GB of RAM for graphics though still is limited by the GT780DX and memory bandwidth. I say better with the SSD, blu ray drive and 16MB of RAM since SSD as boot drive mean faster response, loading time is lower for apps and used for more things than just graphics over time and more media option, blu ray.

I would invest in the variant with the SSD and Blu-ray drive. If you do find a model with slightly less CPU power and less memory while that doesn't sacrifice GPU power, then you're golden.

Spoiler!

You should look up on alienware, the m17x r3 is starting at ~$1500 and would be a great choice too. You could get a 580m or 6990m in there (for more $$!)
    Get the basic 4gb ram and upgrade it yourself to save some money and get the cheapest hard disk and add a ssd yourself to save some more too(it support 2 internal hdd).

I really like my m17x r2 with i7 620m and 2 4870m 1gb in crossfire with 64gb ssd + 250gb 7200rpm HD (which is already more then 2 years old ...)

I had a MSI with a HD 3850m that I liked a lot at the time but the alienware is just in another league imho.
    Last edited by xiz0r; 02-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.

The G74 is a great laptop for a great price. It really is hard to beat the performance per dollar.
    Last edited by liquidsoul; 02-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.

I've done some more research and it seems that the upcoming G75 series from Asus is going to be way better. I guess I'll have to wait until April.

Quote Originally Posted by Annirak View Post
    I've done some more research and it seems that the upcoming G75 series from Asus is going to be way better. I guess I'll have to wait until April.
    Really? I checked everything from CES and the improvements were marginal. Another 10% improvement at best but the cost will go up more than 10%. If you want a good deal on a 74 I am willing to sell mine if you are interested. Sadly, my MBP is used 99% of the time for work.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    Really? I checked everything from CES and the improvements were marginal. Another 10% improvement at best but the cost will go up more than 10%. If you want a good deal on a 74 I am willing to sell mine if you are interested. Sadly, my MBP is used 99% of the time for work.
    You're probably right. Bear in mind, though, that the last time I bought a laptop, it was a HP tx2. It had a turion X2, used a ntrig pen digitizer, and had VGA out only. 4 months later, HP released the tz2. It had a core2 duo, vga+hdmi out and a wacom pen digitizer. I got burned by not waiting last time. Not going to let it happen again.

Any thoughts on Sager/Clevo laptops?

Quote Originally Posted by Annirak View Post
    You're probably right. Bear in mind, though, that the last time I bought a laptop, it was a HP tx2. It had a turion X2, used a ntrig pen digitizer, and had VGA out only. 4 months later, HP released the tz2. It had a core2 duo, vga+hdmi out and a wacom pen digitizer. I got burned by not waiting last time. Not going to let it happen again.

Any thoughts on Sager/Clevo laptops?
    Clevo's are good as well and a bit higher quality than Asus. Check out http://www.xoticpc.com/. They will build exactly what you want and most parts are upgradeable. I would take a Clevo, Sager, or Asus before an Alienware any day of the week.

Alienware laptops are great unless you actually want to use one as a laptop: my M15x weighs a ton and flattens the battery in about 90 minutes. Mind you, it would easily double as a bit of body armour.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Alienware laptops are great unless you actually want to use one as a laptop: my M15x weighs a ton and flattens the battery in about 90 minutes. Mind you, it would easily double as a bit of body armour.

M
    90 min battery life ? thats nearly double what my m17x can do on battery!
    But imho clevo/sager/alienware aren't really laptop but more of a mobile desktop replacement that are heavier, bigger and have low battery life. You either love them or hate them!

My G74 hardly ever leaves home so basically it is a desktop replacement. However, when a few friends and I get together to play some games nothing beats a laptop - even if it is like lifting weights