Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dumb phone recommendations...

Need recommendations as it's time to upgrade the cell phones. I'm currently using my Nokia 3590 which I got new back in "04" or so and it still has the original Cingular logo faceplate on it. My wife is still using her Nokia 3395. Been through a handful of replacement batteries but the phones themselves are starting to act their age. We do not have a data plan so I pay about 5c for every text. I believe I've hammered out less than a dozen messages on my thumbs my entire life. I don't need a camera or special apps. That should give you some idea of how much we need all the new "whizbang" stuff crammed into the new phones.

Soo... the wife and I being cell phone minimalists what phones would you guys recommend for the ATT network? I refuse to take a "freebie" upgrade from ATT as they want to rearrange my original contract with Cingular as a condition of the upgrade. I got a great plan with Cingular with a tonne of rollover when they first started out and I'm not giving that up. We just need newer phones. I would not mind being able to use a bluetooth earbud as having that cord plugged into the phone is kinda cumbersome at times. Good reception, reliability, durability and battery life are a must. These Nokias are tanks. Dropped these things more than I care to admit and they've taken all the abuse in stride.

TIA
    Scoot
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Re: Dumb phone recommendations...

Scoot, I use an old prepaid Tracfone so I can't be of much help, but
    I used to go to this forum when at one time I got the phone bug. Lot
    of decent info there if you don't mind looking some.

www.howardforums.com
    http://www.howardforums.com/forums.php?
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 02-13-2012 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by no2guncntrl View Post
    Scoot, I use an old prepaid Tracfone so I can't be of much help, but
    I used to go to this forum when at one time I got the phone bug. Lot
    of decent info there if you don't mind looking some.

www.howardforums.com
    http://www.howardforums.com/forums.php?
    Thanks 4 the link!
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Tried the Jitterbug?

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Tried the Jitterbug?
    Honestly even though these phones are showing their age.. if I could find replacement batteries that actually worked I'd stick with them for a little bit longer. I've gotten several batteries now with the exact same part # that simply do not work.

-The Gipper

Come on, Scoot. Upgrade to the 21st century. You and Mrs. Scooter need some Android superphones with 4.5-inch OLED screens and a 1.2Ghz dual-core processor.

i may be 17, but my first phone was a basic feature phone, it had a camera and a web browser... also a qwert keyboard that slid out.

it was an LG G500 i would recommend that to some one who wants a basic phone on att.

it lasted about 3-4 days on a new battery that my father found for me at batteries plus after mine took a dump on me.

but id also so get with the times and get a better kind of feature phone or a lower end smart phone.

my first phone lasted me 2 years, it was 25 bucks, had a unlimited text and data plan even though i didnt need them but i found myself using the data for things like twitter and the like

but thats just me.

do what you will the g500 if you can find it is a really good phone

~Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Come on, Scoot. Upgrade to the 21st century. You and Mrs. Scooter need some Android superphones with 4.5-inch OLED screens and a 1.2Ghz dual-core processor.
    Honestly.. all the bells and whistles on the new phones have no endearing qualities to me whatsoever. And as you probably already know I'm a hardware junkie so that's some statement. The 2 features I use the most are the clock and auto dial. That's it. The major problem with getting one of the newer phones with more features being ATT wants to redo my contract if I add a data package at all. Hogwash. They are after my anytime rollover minutes and I'm not giving them up w/o a fight.

-The Gipper

look at the prepaid AT&T phones they should work well with your plan and be cheap and reliable

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-Prepa...-Blue/16829736

Another Trac phone user. Seems never to be out of range. cheap + reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    look at the prepaid AT&T phones they should work well with your plan and be cheap and reliable

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-Prepa...-Blue/16829736
    Can I actually get one of these added to my account?

-The Gipper

I've got a Nokia 6350 with AT&T. It's about as simple as you can get these days.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358510,00.asp

Mine is gray, I think they call it platinum
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Can I actually get one of these added to my account?
    You don't need to add it to your account, just buy the phone (make sure it's AT&T) and place the SIM card from your phone into the new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    You don't need to add it to your account, just buy the phone (make sure it's AT&T) and place the SIM card from your phone into the new phone.
    Just got back from the ATT store.. man cell plans suck. I'm never letting mine go. Heck.. AFAICT they don't even offer a plan like mine with 5K rollover minutes a month any more. Anyhoo the sales guy was a plesant fellow and understood what I wanted. He confirmed as long as I stick to an ATT "dumb" phone (he said they call them "feature phones".. we both had a good chuckle ) just switching the SIM card would work fine. I looked over what they had and I'm kinda leaning toward the Samsung Rugby 2.

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    he said they call them "feature phones"
    Yeah, that's the industry lingo for them.