How do you do your taxes?

How do you do your taxes? TurboTax? H&R Block? The CPA down the street? Yourself?

I've used TurboTax since I was 16 years old. My parents are old and go to H&R Block, despite me constantly bugging them to switch to TurboTax.

Re: How do you do your taxes?

I use Tax Act Free Federal. My return is pretty simple. Then I pay $15.95 or so for the state edition and I'm good to go for my taxes. They have a "deluxe" edition for folks with more complex tax problems which they bundle with the state program for about $22.95. Nothing fancy, but it does the job ... for me at least.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

TaxAct here too for the last 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1946 View Post
    I use Tax Act Free Federal. My return is pretty simple. Then I pay $15.95 or so for the state edition and I'm good to go for my taxes. They have a "deluxe" edition for folks with more complex tax problems which they bundle with the state program for about $22.95. Nothing fancy, but it does the job ... for me at least.
    Damn, wish I had known about Tax Act. I am self employed so I have to file a Schedule C with my taxes. TurboTax makes me get the Deluxe Home & Business edition and I had to pay $120 to get my taxes done this year. My parents own investment property and had to pay $250 at H&R Block, so I guess I'm still saving money by doing it myself but dang, I have to look at Tax Act next year.

Been going to a local joint for the last 8 or 9 years, ever since I started using my own vehicle for work, it got too complicated for my feeble mind, and now with other things to file for, I let the pro do it , costs about $80, and I usually get a 10% off coupon to boot.

Turbo Tax for me. I have an accountant do the estate taxes and the Trust I manage for my sister. Too much work on those.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

I don't do tax forms though I don't dodge taxes. They took tax out each time I got paid.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    I don't do tax forms though I don't dodge taxes. They took tax out each time I got paid.
    Most people here have their taxes withheld from their paycheck but in US you still have to file a tax return with the US government at the end of the year. Usually if you withhold the usual amount from a paycheck you get a little refund from the government.

Being self-employed, I don't pay any taxes throughout the year though the government does bug me to pay my income taxes quarterly. I don't see the point, because they don't pay me interest on the money so why should I let them hold it for me? They can have it when it's due. Last year I was fined $20 for not paying estimated taxes quarterly throughout the year. I had some not so nice things to say about them that day. I always know why the tax collectors in Roman times were always run off and stoned when they went around asking for tax money.
    Last edited by Keven; 02-13-2012 at 10:42 PM.

TaxAct here as well.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Certified Accountant, at $80.00.

Just got my tax statement from work today. Paid $10 271.44 in Federal taxes. And I just used a tax calculator to work out if I overpaid or underpaid my federal taxes this year. Sadly the calculator said that I underpaid by $3 000.00!!!!! DANG

I did however contribute a bit over $5 700.00 in RRSP`s last year. I hope that offsets the federal tax underpayment.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff35 View Post
    Certified Accountant, at $80.00.

Just got my tax statement from work today. Paid $10 271.44 in Federal taxes. And I just used a tax calculator to work out if I overpaid or underpaid my federal taxes this year. Sadly the calculator said that I underpaid by $3 000.00!!!!! DANG

I did however contribute a bit over $5 700.00 in RRSP`s last year. I hope that offsets the federal tax underpayment.
    Dang man. Did you calculate the personal exemption?

Sorry, should have said that I live in Ontario,Canada.

TaxAct