Ok - What's the Deal with Kits?

I usually stay away from bare-bones kits- you know, the ones advertised by online retailers - seems like it's stuff they are trying to ditch.

I am tempted to recommend to an acquaintance, however, a kit being advertised at an almost unbelievably low price, as he is more price-sensitive than performance-hungry. HOWEVER, I know a certain e-tailer who does not even guarantee a kit's compatibility; and, if you look at the Gigabyte MB specs carefully, this kit I saw does not seem to be compatible (AM3 processor, AM3+ MB).

What's the assembled body think? Are kits generally a cost-effective way to get some performance at a lower price, or just a minefield? Thanks all

Re: Ok - What's the Deal with Kits?

It would help a little if we knew which kit you were talking about!
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTrader View Post
    Are kits generally a cost-effective way to get some performance at a lower price, or just a minefield? Thanks all

Depends on the hardware involved. Read as many reviews as you can on products that interest you, some decent review sites:

Anandtech
    Pc Perspective
    Toms Hardware
    HardOcp

I didn't want to get into a libel situation, so didn't mention a specific supplier/kit. I just want to know, in general, whether there has been good or bad experience with kits. Or is it just caveat emptor.

Your question is just too vauge. If you buy from a reputable seller, chances are they are going to want to make sure thier parts sold to you are compatible. They arnt going to want to deal with people returning thier goods.

A long time ago when the
    Code:
    website pricewatch.com
    didnt turn all corporate on me, I used to laugh at a lof of the offerings of some vendors trying to offload ' stuff that probly wont work together '

Nowadays though, honestly- unless your trying to buy parts that don't work together, things should work out just fine if you buy from reputable sources.

Over the past decade or so my colleagues and I have purchased quite a few 'Bare Bones Kits' from TigerDirect. From all of those, I only remember one where there was an issue with the components not properly fitting together. The supplied motherboard, CPU heat sink and case were not compatible as the location of the tall heat sink interfered with a bracket in the case. We ordered another heat sink and simply kept the old one as a spare.

I have never seen a case where a Bare Bones Kit had an incompatibly between individual components but I'd still just double check to ensure things like the memory and CPU are listed as being compatible for the motherboard. Then just hope they all actually fit in the case.

Spankin, now you are getting down to it. I saw a very appealing kit, but the motherboard was a GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 (AM3+), paired with an AMD Athlon II X3 445 3.1GHz AM3. Reference to the manufacturer's site indicates an AM3 processor will work, but only if it's a Phenom II. So, if I was building from scratch, I would not put these two together; and will have to stay away from this kit (which otherwise seems great for mainstream work).

As I stated before, another well-known online retailer states right up front, they don't guarantee the compatibility of their kits. So, let the buyer beware.

I've ordered 2 or 3 combos off of Newegg and they all worked just fine. I would certainly have chosen different motherboards if I was speccing it all from scratch, but all purchases were made with certain uses in mind and in all cases the combos worked just fine. Its only now trying to repurpose some of those parts that I'm frustrated by the lack of ports. Accept the fact that you're buying typically low-end stuff in the combos and you'll probably be happy with what you get.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Prices aside, if you or your "acquaintance" is willing to take the risk of buying a kit with incompatible parts to save money only to receive parts don't go together then you will just end up spending more time and money buying the individual parts you needed.

All you can really do aside from buying from a reputable e-tailer is to cross reference the individual part numbers from the bundle and confirm for yourself if they are going to work together.

Spoiler!