Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PC desktop died yet?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24811...e_desktop.html

If this were true, then this would be the end of PCPer.com ?!?!?!?

I am sortof in the mood to do another build sometime soon. Does this mean I am going to be building an obsolete midtower? What about those overpriced video cards!? MBs are now hitting SATA3 and USB3. I still insist to want to use PC for video editing. Is it no longer "business", but PERSONAL computer (PC)? Where is Bill Gates today or it does not matter anymore? What strikes me a little was the statement... "It had a long run, and has survived all kinds of threats--laptops, gaming consoles, netbooks... But seriously this time: itís done." Honestly, after the few minutes learned about Win8, I aren't interested in 8.

I am not interested going into Apple (yet). Although I am little tempted with iPad2 (basically only because I like the Angry Birds ).

Comments or discussions?

Chuck

Re: PC desktop died yet?

Die hard enthusiasts won't ever let it fade away.
    I'm also not a fan of Win 8.
    While I'm not into the Mac side of things, I do own an iPod and iPhone. Don't think I'll ever get an iPad though. I would spend a few hundred more for a decent gaming laptop.

Spoiler!

Exterior & Interior Modification & Care
    detailing - modifications - installations - maintenance
    http://edhilario.ca

I dont think those will be able to fit high end video card (maybe not even a mid range one so I would not worry too much about it. Sure it will probly be great for an internet/email/work pc but that form factor is not gonna overtaking my Haf X full tower case from me !

Honestly, I'm sick of hearing it. I don't believe I ever saw a convincing assessment of the claim. I think it comes from a huge influx of technically inept columnists.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Ha too funny notdrugged ! Tower computers will be here for a very long time. The OEM SFF suck basically, and yes one piece touchscreen pc will have a place in the sun. But we have heard the argument before, blah blah.

PS look at all the high end ATX motherboards still being made, the cases, water cooling. You think those manufacturers make them just to be nice ? They make them because it still sells !
    Last edited by supercat; 02-22-2012 at 11:00 PM.

It's hard to do work on a laptop. I know some places just give their employees laptops to do work on during the day, but the best workstation is a desktop, big ole keyboard (preferably with mechanical keys), a real mouse and multiple monitors.

The b2b industry will keep desktops alive for us hardware enthusiasts. How can you convince a stock broker who needs six displays to use a little 15-inch MacBook? How can you convince a surgeon who needs to look at x-rays to use a little laptop? How can you convince a director of IT who needs to manage a huge server farm to use some kinda laptop instead of a workstation? Are the GCI artists at Pixar and Disney running Photoshop and Maya on little laptops? No way, they're using crazy desktops.

Anyway, you get the point. Businesses will keep buying desktops because they need them and that will keep the market alive for those of us who like big old graphics cards and processors.

This is all until we just get computers that are installed into our brains or something.

When you consider that a large majority of computer users can barely find the ON button the all in one will be a great choice for them.

The gamers and people who use their computers for work could not survive without the current tower computers.

I am not to worried that some morning we will wake up and find nothing in the computer stores but all in one's
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

That will probably be in the big box retail stores such as BB/FS where they would migrate in that direction.

Spoiler!

Exterior & Interior Modification & Care
    detailing - modifications - installations - maintenance
    http://edhilario.ca

^^^^^^^^

On the head. Companies are not going to go by a laptop or a tablet for every employee, the majority will still get a desktop, not because it is faster or anything, but just because it is cheaper, but I do feel that the desktop will fade out or have just a little section in retail stores.

The same sort of drivel going on with Cloud Computing, which is even worse as the products currently available are really just Internet based virtual machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    It's hard to do work on a laptop. I know some places just give their employees laptops to do work on during the day, but the best workstation is a desktop, big ole keyboard (preferably with mechanical keys), a real mouse and multiple monitors.

The b2b industry will keep desktops alive for us hardware enthusiasts. How can you convince a stock broker who needs six displays to use a little 15-inch MacBook? How can you convince a surgeon who needs to look at x-rays to use a little laptop? How can you convince a director of IT who needs to manage a huge server farm to use some kinda laptop instead of a workstation? Are the GCI artists at Pixar and Disney running Photoshop and Maya on little laptops? No way, they're using crazy desktops.

Anyway, you get the point. Businesses will keep buying desktops because they need them and that will keep the market alive for those of us who like big old graphics cards and processors.

This is all until we just get computers that are installed into our brains or something.
    This... at least in the short term. Obviously, it may be feasible that in the long term the power and capability of laptops reach a point where they become sufficient for all those tasks, but that still doesn't mean business will buy them. Miniturizing all that stuff is expensive and makes it more expensive to replace and maintain, so businesses will be more likely to opt for desktops simply on a cost basis.

pcworld can pry my 800D from my cold-dead hands

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

When high power desktops aren't needed for specialized applications some companies are moving towards laptops for at least the IT staff. Add a docking station + keyboard/mouse and you effectively have a desktop. Gives employees the versatility to work in the office, remotely or on travel all with the same laptop.

But who cares about companies? For myself I can't really see ever not having a desktop because they are fun to build and can be specialized and upgraded over time. Maybe if I ever get rich enough to be able to buy a new gaming capable laptop every year, then maybe I'll consider switching
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Add a docking station + keyboard/mouse and you effectively have a desktop. Gives employees the versatility to work in the office, remotely or on travel all with the same laptop.
    That's what I had in mind. More companies want laptops because it's travelable, and the cute idea of docking stations. But, problem is docking stations are proprietary, not universal.

I have to give Apple some applause for the iPad2 (yet I didn't understand how they came up with the iPad at first, those around back and heavy, but they correct it right away with iPad2). Apparently iPad2 (or other close alikes) will shoot off. Companies are stopping with paper blueprints. CAD and 3D are in demands. Apple are good in that area.

So, while PC desktop still thrives, geeks will have to start learning both worlds (PC and Apple) more now than what's been before.

Chuck

I'll stick with a desktop for now. I don't want to sit close enough to the screen to "touch" it and I like being able to actually open the case and fix stuff or upgrade parts. So, maybe a diminishing market for desktops but dead, I think not. Maybe if I were forced to only have one computer but I'm not.
    Brian

PC survives.