Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 165

Thread: Mass Effect 3

  1. #46
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Yea, i kind of thought that was comically bad after a certain point. i kind of liked the little bit of scarring, but full-on renegade and you look like the terminator wearing an under-sized shepard mask.

    The problem with the renegade interrupts is that I always want to do them because the results typically end up being hysterical, but I may be precluding myself from paragon interrupts in the same cutscene. probably more of an impact in ME3, where the whole point is to get people on your side.
    Yeah. It made sense in KOTOR when your guy looked worse the further to the dark side you went because at the end of the game you could doom the galaxy. But, in Mass Effect, Shepard is ultimately going to save the galaxy even if he is a total asshole. But, with a full renegade face he looks like he should be murdering children or something.

    Edit: Also, people are saying they are crying at the end of Mass Effect 3.
    Last edited by Keven; 03-07-2012 at 10:22 AM.

  2. #47
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    I'm still screwing around with ME/ME2 for my perfect save, but I decided to look at the list of permanent squad members from ME3 because I heard the list is smaller.

    I won't spoil anything, but one character on there... really? THAT is a character?

  3. #48
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    I'm still screwing around with ME/ME2 for my perfect save, but I decided to look at the list of permanent squad members from ME3 because I heard the list is smaller.

    I won't spoil anything, but one character on there... really? THAT is a character?
    Not sure exactly which character you're talking about, but I have one in my party right now that made me go WTF? A little lame, but whatever.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  4. #49
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    how to pass the time in Mass Effect when you've completed all the missions


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  5. #50
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Not sure exactly which character you're talking about, but I have one in my party right now that made me go WTF? A little lame, but whatever.
    I will PM you to see if we're talking about the same party member.

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    how to pass the time in Mass Effect when you've completed all the missions
    LOL!

  6. #51
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,438

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    havent had a ton of time to play it so far but ive been fairly let down by this game at least initially. It is nowhere near the game Mass Effect 2 was.

    Gripes:
    -Spacebar for everything! ridiuclous crap, constantly doing the wrong action because of this. Its also just very awkward. Especially when most games use E or F as a use key and space as a jump key. Its just weird.
    -Viewpoint. I really dont like the half third person viewpoint. Its kinda like Resident Evil 5. I'd really have liked the option to switch to full first person or at least be allowed to zoom out some.
    -They have oversimplified too many things while overcomplicating combat.

    I loved the mining planets thing for ores and stuff in mass effect 2. That was pretty cool imo and felt very real. The new system tells you which planets have things in the system and exactly where it is. Its one item of usually very uninteresting quality or petrol. I liked upgrading my items by using stuff I got from planets. Not just aquiring direct items or things from them randomly. They've essentially made this way easier for people but also way more mundane.

    I feel like they should queue the benny hill music when the reapers start chasing you. And who cares at all if they do catch you? All you get is an old school boring game over message with a reload of a save file that takes you exactly back to before they chased you. How boring.

    -They got rid of the puzzle system for locks and things. Whats wrong with a healthy little mini-game?

    -Cinematics. I love a good engaging game that really draws you in like you're in the situation with good cinematic quality. Half Life 2 and its expansions are great examples of that kind of blend. This game? It plays out more like a long movie sometimes rather than a game, and theres even an option to turn it into one. Why?

    I find myself waiting for the cinematics to end or taking a break before I really want to just in case I get caught in some massive cinematic scene.

    I have a big issue with the direct plot. Yes, I haven't beaten the game, nor am I even really close yet BUT come on Earth is attacked and getting raped by reapers in the first 5 minutes of the game yet you have all the time in the world to fly around gathering up stuff to save it? How is it that Earth went from looking like a dead planet in less than an hour in the first 5 minutes of the game but as soon as you're gone they can hold out for ages?

    So overall its been very disapointing so far. I really liked mass effect 2 and this feels like a big step backward. You can barely even change the detail settings. I still enjoy it though and ill beat it eventually but its not the game it could have been.

  7. #52
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    I hate to say it, but it sounds like Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 suffered from the same problems.

    Kinda feels/sounds like BioWare rushed these two games.

  8. #53
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    havent had a ton of time to play it so far but ive been fairly let down by this game at least initially. It is nowhere near the game Mass Effect 2 was.

    Gripes:
    -Spacebar for everything! ridiuclous crap, constantly doing the wrong action because of this. Its also just very awkward. Especially when most games use E or F as a use key and space as a jump key. Its just weird.
    -Viewpoint. I really dont like the half third person viewpoint. Its kinda like Resident Evil 5. I'd really have liked the option to switch to full first person or at least be allowed to zoom out some.
    -They have oversimplified too many things while overcomplicating combat.
    Isn't the viewpoint the same as in ME2? I don't mind the over the shoulder view, though it can make the sticky cover a little awkward at times. I don't disagree about the spacebar thing, it makes getting in and out of cover needless complicated, accidentally moving from wall to wall when you're ready to move forward. E & F are mapped to toggle your squadmates powers and I find that with the falling so easily to hand it helps a lot in combat. Its not perfect but it works IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    I loved the mining planets thing for ores and stuff in mass effect 2. That was pretty cool imo and felt very real. The new system tells you which planets have things in the system and exactly where it is. Its one item of usually very uninteresting quality or petrol. I liked upgrading my items by using stuff I got from planets. Not just aquiring direct items or things from them randomly. They've essentially made this way easier for people but also way more mundane.
    You're in the vast minority there, the mining mini-game was tediously boring. The new scanning mechanic is kind of meh, but you wind up uncovering assets that are useful in building your forces or credits. I always seem to find fuel when i've got more than enough, but more than once its given me enough to get back to the mass relay comfortably rather than cutting it close. i don't know what happens if you run out, but i can't complain about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    I feel like they should queue the benny hill music when the reapers start chasing you. And who cares at all if they do catch you? All you get is an old school boring game over message with a reload of a save file that takes you exactly back to before they chased you. How boring.
    Agreed, kind of a stupid mechanic that takes away from your ability to explore systems at your own pace, but I guess thats the point... you don't have time to screw around scanning all day, theres reapers to fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    -They got rid of the puzzle system for locks and things. Whats wrong with a healthy little mini-game?
    Fun for the first 10 locks, mind-numbingly tedious for the rest of the 100 times you have to do it.. I don't miss it all that much

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    -Cinematics. I love a good engaging game that really draws you in like you're in the situation with good cinematic quality. Half Life 2 and its expansions are great examples of that kind of blend. This game? It plays out more like a long movie sometimes rather than a game, and theres even an option to turn it into one. Why?

    I find myself waiting for the cinematics to end or taking a break before I really want to just in case I get caught in some massive cinematic scene.
    Again, I think thats the point. its a different approach than HL2, one that reinforces the whole "space-opera"-ness of this whole series. I agree that some drag on far too long, though I can't complain about the actual content in any of the cinematics.. just the fact that some have several segments and do drag occasionally

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    I have a big issue with the direct plot. Yes, I haven't beaten the game, nor am I even really close yet BUT come on Earth is attacked and getting raped by reapers in the first 5 minutes of the game yet you have all the time in the world to fly around gathering up stuff to save it? How is it that Earth went from looking like a dead planet in less than an hour in the first 5 minutes of the game but as soon as you're gone they can hold out for ages?
    Addressed somewhat in the game and theres multiple reasons. 1) the galaxy is a damn big place, and as numerous as the reapers are they're hitting many fronts at once. 2) They're advancing at a methodical pace. They hit the primary defensive locations, destroy the fleets in one fell swoop, then commence a long-term mopping up operation while taking the time to harvest the population. Earth isn't fighting them to a standstill, they're just running around trying to hide in the meantime. Its also unclear how long they're actually holding out, the time-scale in the game is ambiguous. It could be days, weeks or months for all we know.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    So overall its been very disapointing so far. I really liked mass effect 2 and this feels like a big step backward. You can barely even change the detail settings. I still enjoy it though and ill beat it eventually but its not the game it could have been.
    I can't tell if I really think the game is living up to its potential, whether or not its "the game it could have been" but I find myself having a damn good time playing it. I don't like the ambiguity in the progression all that much. In the other games it was like "do A and B", you could do lots of other stuff in the meantime, but you knew that doing those two would advance the plot in a significant way, opening up objectives C, D, E, and F. This almost seems more linear in a way (at this point in my game, 10+ hours) and I don't love it. I wish the graphics were improved but this is still the old UT3 engine, heads look OK (esp hero heads) but lots of stuff is blah.. thats what console compatibility gets you these days and they weren't going to risk developing a new engine and screw it up... I understand that, I play for the story. I don't think its a step back, but I'll admit its not a leap forward.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  9. #54
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,438

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    Isn't the viewpoint the same as in ME2? I don't mind the over the shoulder view, though it can make the sticky cover a little awkward at times. I don't disagree about the spacebar thing, it makes getting in and out of cover needless complicated, accidentally moving from wall to wall when you're ready to move forward. E & F are mapped to toggle your squadmates powers and I find that with the falling so easily to hand it helps a lot in combat. Its not perfect but it works IMO.
    The E & F thing ends up bothering me because ill hit it accidently. I think the view might have been a bit more zoomed out in me2 but its been awhile, either way its an awkward annoying view imo.

    You're in the vast minority there, the mining mini-game was tediously boring. The new scanning mechanic is kind of meh, but you wind up uncovering assets that are useful in building your forces or credits. I always seem to find fuel when i've got more than enough, but more than once its given me enough to get back to the mass relay comfortably rather than cutting it close. i don't know what happens if you run out, but i can't complain about that.
    Well thats just my opinion I guess. Some people apparently really like "Eve" I can't figure out how that isnt the most boring game ever either. The fuel is usually pointless. If you run out of fuel it takes you back to the original star system with the mass relay. So theres no punishment for it at all. I liked collecting resources to upgrade weapons and things. Collecting a +5 people to your cause or some fuel is pretty drab imo. Especially when its just right there. Why even add new planets without stuff on them? Hardly anyone is going to bother going to each planet and reading about them or anything like that. Seemed a lot more realistic before.


    Fun for the first 10 locks, mind-numbingly tedious for the rest of the 100 times you have to do it.. I don't miss it all that much
    Meh, I didnt think it was the greatest thing ever its just now everything is so simplified. Dumbed down and rushed is how it feels to me. Just another thing they cut from the game.


    Again, I think thats the point. its a different approach than HL2, one that reinforces the whole "space-opera"-ness of this whole series. I agree that some drag on far too long, though I can't complain about the actual content in any of the cinematics.. just the fact that some have several segments and do drag occasionally
    The contents are generally good and if I wanted to watch a movie I wouldnt have much to complain about. However I'm playing a video game. The other massively annoying thing to me is the right click to do an action that sometimes comes literally out of nowhere in a cinema scene. Ill usually miss it because im sitting back waiting for the scene to end. Then I end up wondering what would have happend if I had been quick enough to get back to my mouse. I just don't find it very well balanced in this regard and I find it really hard to find a break point in the game. If I had endless time and it drew me in enough I suppose I wouldnt mind as much.


    Addressed somewhat in the game and theres multiple reasons. 1) the galaxy is a damn big place, and as numerous as the reapers are they're hitting many fronts at once. 2) They're advancing at a methodical pace. They hit the primary defensive locations, destroy the fleets in one fell swoop, then commence a long-term mopping up operation while taking the time to harvest the population. Earth isn't fighting them to a standstill, they're just running around trying to hide in the meantime. Its also unclear how long they're actually holding out, the time-scale in the game is ambiguous. It could be days, weeks or months for all we know.
    I'll give you that. I dont buy it, but that is their explanation.



    I can't tell if I really think the game is living up to its potential, whether or not its "the game it could have been" but I find myself having a damn good time playing it. I don't like the ambiguity in the progression all that much. In the other games it was like "do A and B", you could do lots of other stuff in the meantime, but you knew that doing those two would advance the plot in a significant way, opening up objectives C, D, E, and F. This almost seems more linear in a way (at this point in my game, 10+ hours) and I don't love it. I wish the graphics were improved but this is still the old UT3 engine, heads look OK (esp hero heads) but lots of stuff is blah.. thats what console compatibility gets you these days and they weren't going to risk developing a new engine and screw it up... I understand that, I play for the story. I don't think its a step back, but I'll admit its not a leap forward.
    To me it seems like a game they rushed to release and didnt want to try anything new in. Theres less content than ME2 and all you get in exchange is more dialog and a clumsy overcomplicated combat system. Still enjoying it enough though.

  10. #55
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    Well thats just my opinion I guess. Some people apparently really like "Eve" I can't figure out how that isnt the most boring game ever either. The fuel is usually pointless. If you run out of fuel it takes you back to the original star system with the mass relay. So theres no punishment for it at all. I liked collecting resources to upgrade weapons and things. Collecting a +5 people to your cause or some fuel is pretty drab imo. Especially when its just right there. Why even add new planets without stuff on them? Hardly anyone is going to bother going to each planet and reading about them or anything like that. Seemed a lot more realistic before.
    So you're saying that scanning planets for minerals, a process that could literally take a half hour if you wanted to get everything in a whole system, is MORE exciting than the "boring" process of flying around a system for 1 minute pinging away? Thats like saying that 3 hole punching a stack of papers is less fun than single hole-punching every single paper 3 times they're both rather meaningless, but to sane people, one is far less of a burden. I think I still prefer ME1's actual planetary excursions though, even if half the stuff you found on them was meaningless stuff that had even less of an impact on the game than "+5 people to your cause" (aka collect all 15 turian insignias!)

    I'm also pretty sure that there aren't many new planets in this game either, they're mostly recycled from the first 2 games, down to the descriptions for the planets we've seen before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    Meh, I didnt think it was the greatest thing ever its just now everything is so simplified. Dumbed down and rushed is how it feels to me. Just another thing they cut from the game.
    .
    .
    .
    To me it seems like a game they rushed to release and didnt want to try anything new in. Theres less content than ME2 and all you get in exchange is more dialog and a clumsy overcomplicated combat system. Still enjoying it enough though.
    You keep saying that it feels rushed.. because they cut out some of the mini-games that people repeatedly complained about? IMO "rushed" would have been leaving those things in un-changed and not responding to fan feedback. They tried redesigning the lock game once and people still didn't like it, so they just removed it. Not only that, but ME2 was FAR more "dumbed down" when they completely castrated the inventory and weapon mod system from ME1. I still prefer that system (though the organization of the gear was ridiculously oversimplistic and inadequate), but they added in a whole bunch of new mods, guns and toys to re-incorporate that aspect in a significant way. I also disagree with the statement that theres less content (meaningful game content) than ME2. I'm not done yet but I think its mostly on par so far.
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 03-09-2012 at 09:28 AM.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  11. #56
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,438

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    So you're saying that scanning planets for minerals, a process that could literally take a half hour if you wanted to get everything in a whole system, is MORE exciting than the "boring" process of flying around a system for 1 minute pinging away? Thats like saying that 3 hole punching a stack of papers is less fun than single hole-punching every single paper 3 times they're both rather meaningless, but to sane people, one is far less of a burden. I think I still prefer ME1's actual planetary excursions though, even if half the stuff you found on them was meaningless stuff that had even less of an impact on the game than "+5 people to your cause" (aka collect all 15 turian insignias!)
    Hah, no need to question my sanity over it mate. Just what I prefered. To me it was more interesting because it felt more realistic and its is less content. You didnt HAVE to go to every planet and get all the ore. You could if you wanted to though. I like having the option. I honestly didnt finish mass effect 1. I remember getting to a certain point and getting on an elevator and it glitched to where I couldnt get out of it. If I was to go back to a prior save I would have lost A LOT of game time so I didnt continue because I didnt like it enough. So I never really gave it enough time to comment on its comparison. To each their own though.

    I'm also pretty sure that there aren't many new planets in this game either, they're mostly recycled from the first 2 games, down to the descriptions for the planets we've seen before.
    This is probably true, but theyre a lot less important now. A new player wouldnt likely care at all about them.


    You keep saying that it feels rushed.. because they cut out some of the mini-games that people repeatedly complained about? IMO "rushed" would have been leaving those things in un-changed and not responding to fan feedback. They tried redesigning the lock game once and people still didn't like it, so they just removed it. Not only that, but ME2 was FAR more "dumbed down" when they completely castrated the inventory and weapon mod system from ME1. I still prefer that system (though the organization of the gear was ridiculously oversimplistic and inadequate), but they added in a whole bunch of new mods, guns and toys to re-incorporate that aspect in a significant way. I also disagree with the statement that theres less content (meaningful game content) than ME2. I'm not done yet but I think its mostly on par so far.
    I guess I can understand cutting out the minigames that directly have to be completed in the game if people really didnt like them. I just happend to be one who did. However cutting out content that is optional and side grade is cutting out content and play time that would have been available to those who chose to do it. This is what bothers me. It just seems like most of the game content is linear and straight forward now, and most of it is spent on cut scenes. I'm not done either, now that its the weekend ill have time to really play the game more.

    Just a matter of opinion. Its clear they designed this game to be able to hit any target audience, at least on the low end. I really dont like the new modding system and stores either. It just feels clumsy. I'd like to be able to sell items too.. Who knows maybe once I get more than 10 hours of play time ill end up liking it more. For now, personally I find it to be not even close to the caliber of game Mass Effect 2 was.

  12. #57
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    Hah, no need to question my sanity over it mate. Just what I prefered. To me it was more interesting because it felt more realistic and its is less content. You didnt HAVE to go to every planet and get all the ore. You could if you wanted to though. I like having the option. I honestly didnt finish mass effect 1. I remember getting to a certain point and getting on an elevator and it glitched to where I couldnt get out of it. If I was to go back to a prior save I would have lost A LOT of game time so I didnt continue because I didnt like it enough. So I never really gave it enough time to comment on its comparison. To each their own though.


    This is probably true, but theyre a lot less important now. A new player wouldnt likely care at all about them.



    I guess I can understand cutting out the minigames that directly have to be completed in the game if people really didnt like them. I just happend to be one who did. However cutting out content that is optional and side grade is cutting out content and play time that would have been available to those who chose to do it. This is what bothers me. It just seems like most of the game content is linear and straight forward now, and most of it is spent on cut scenes. I'm not done either, now that its the weekend ill have time to really play the game more.

    Just a matter of opinion. Its clear they designed this game to be able to hit any target audience, at least on the low end. I really dont like the new modding system and stores either. It just feels clumsy. I'd like to be able to sell items too.. Who knows maybe once I get more than 10 hours of play time ill end up liking it more. For now, personally I find it to be not even close to the caliber of game Mass Effect 2 was.
    You sound like a hard guy to please... you want more stuff (mini-games) but you want less stuff (inventory system/stores) I agree, I'd like to be able to sell the mods & guns I don't use in order to afford ones that I actually want, but I don't see how the mod system is "clumsy". Its definitely more streamlined than ME1, and a massive step up from ME2 which went completely backwards and dumbed it down by removing a huge chunk of the RPG element.

    The side missions are still there as well, so the meaningful content is still very much in play and hasn't been cut out, just the minigames. I mean, I guess they could have put an old-school ME1/2 lock somewhere on the citadel to make you happy I do feel like the scope of the missions is too confined at this point in my game. I feel like I'm still waiting for the galaxy map to open up, I hope that happens soon.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  13. #58
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,438

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    You sound like a hard guy to please... you want more stuff (mini-games) but you want less stuff (inventory system/stores) I agree, I'd like to be able to sell the mods & guns I don't use in order to afford ones that I actually want, but I don't see how the mod system is "clumsy". Its definitely more streamlined than ME1, and a massive step up from ME2 which went completely backwards and dumbed it down by removing a huge chunk of the RPG element.

    The side missions are still there as well, so the meaningful content is still very much in play and hasn't been cut out, just the minigames. I mean, I guess they could have put an old-school ME1/2 lock somewhere on the citadel to make you happy I do feel like the scope of the missions is too confined at this point in my game. I feel like I'm still waiting for the galaxy map to open up, I hope that happens soon.
    LOL you're probably right. I usually find myself saying the same things almost word for word sometimes as yatzee of zero punctuation XD. I guess I'm just a negative person sometimes. I dont want the stores or mod systems cut out though. I just wish it was done better, I actually liked how it was in mass effect 2 :\

  14. #59
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    Some people apparently really like "Eve" I can't figure out how that isnt the most boring game ever either.
    Shut up, EVE Online is awesome. I wasted two and a half years of my life absorbed in that game. Had 5 accounts going at one point. EVE is cool, it's like an archo-capitalist space simulator. You join giant corporations (clans) and over the little guy.

    If anybody thinks I get too distracted playing Minecraft/old games from my Steam collection now, my addiction to EVE Online got to the point where I wouldn't shower or shave or do work or talk to humans. Great game, just playing it is hazardous to my health. I was using real money to buy in-game money to provide capital for my investment/manufacturing business so I was spending my real money on the game too.

  15. #60
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Mass Effect 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Shut up, EVE Online is awesome. I wasted two and a half years of my life absorbed in that game. Had 5 accounts going at one point. EVE is cool, it's like an archo-capitalist space simulator. You join giant corporations (clans) and over the little guy.

    If anybody thinks I get too distracted playing Minecraft/old games from my Steam collection now, my addiction to EVE Online got to the point where I wouldn't shower or shave or do work or talk to humans. Great game, just playing it is hazardous to my health. I was using real money to buy in-game money to provide capital for my investment/manufacturing business so I was spending my real money on the game too.
    You're supposed to keep that kind of stuff to yourself


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •