Strange video problem.

I built a computer for my Dad with some spare parts I had and it works great except for 1 little issue. The display is larger than the screen of the TV that he is using as a monitor, so that about 3/4 of his task bar is off screen and any time he opens a web browser or window, the x to close it is off screen. He can still move the mouse to the x, he just has to guess where it is. It is hooked to the tv using a dvi to hdmi adapter(possible problem?). It works fine with s-video, but looks terrible. I tried changing the resolutions of the tv and the video card but it didn't help. The operating system is Linux Mint 12 and the video card is a NV 7600gt. Any Ideas?

Re: Strange video problem.

From what you are describing, it sounds like you've got an OverScan issue. The stock open source Nouveau video drivers can not correct this, but the proprietary Nvidia drivers can.

If you've enabled Mint to use the Nvidia drivers, you'll also have nvidia-settings (Nvidia X Server Settings) installed. You'll need to find your monitor listed under the GPU section (on the left) and then find the Overscan Compensation setting:

Adjust that to get your screen settings correct.

When you're done, save the settings. The only problem now will be when you reboot your settings won't be reapplied. To fix that, open up a terminal and type the following command:
    Code:
    echo "exec /usr/bin/nvidia-settings -l &" >> .xinitrc
    If that does not reapply your settings for you when you restart X, then Mint is probably using .xsession instead of .xinitrc. In which case the above line should have been this instead:
    Code:
    echo "exec /usr/bin/nvidia-settings -l &" >> .xsession
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 02-20-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Re: Strange video problem.

I'll give that a try. Thank you very much for the help.