more blu ray disapointment!

i bought a newtv,and stereo system[all sony] several years ago including a sony bluray player.

i dont own or buy a whole lot of blurays but warranty was already over b4 i noticed my blu ray player only plays some, less than half the blu rays. even though i changed the bd/dvd hybrid settings which only helped in 1 or 2 cases

so i hooked my player up to network and updated it but no help.

now i just bought a new blu ray player for my desktop and guess what? it wont play blu rays either![ some aac error comes up]
    WTF is the point of this?
    Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 with 8 GB Corsair Vengence CMZ8GX3M2A1
    PHENOM II 4 CORE 955 Black Edition cooled by Antec-Kuhler 920 Watercooler
    RADEON HD 6870 lighting up; LG 34" & Acer 23" monitors plus 60"LED
    ANTEC EarthPower 750W psu, Creative SB X-FI Extreme Music

Re: more blu ray disapointment!

I dont know, I have 2 cheap Blu-Ray players, a Panasonic, and an LG. Both work fine, both have been updated a few times to play new desks.
    For the computer, it can get more complicated. What player are you using? And really if you are going to play many blu-Rays on your computer, you need AnyDVDHD. It strips the encryption so you can play it on the computer, even your equipment isnt HDCP compliant. AnyDVD is updated regularly, but it NOT free.

One of the biggest reasons I bought a PS3 for my Blu-Ray player a few years ago was because I knew Sony would continue to keep up with software updates and hopefully keep me from having the problems the lesser selling units might have such as above. So far I haven't had an issue with any BR movie that I've rented.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    One of the biggest reasons I bought a PS3 for my Blu-Ray player a few years ago was because I knew Sony would continue to keep up with software updates and hopefully keep me from having the problems the lesser selling units might have such as above. So far I haven't had an issue with any BR movie that I've rented.
    The BR player in the PS3 is one of the best out there. Look at CNET or avsforums or a serious home-theatre place. In terms of image quality, performance and endurance, the PS3 is probably one of the best BD players out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    The BR player in the PS3 is one of the best out there. Look at CNET or avsforums or a serious home-theatre place. In terms of image quality, performance and endurance, the PS3 is probably one of the best BD players out there.

Endurance! I forgot about that one. In the pre-BR days, I once went through 3 Philips DVD players in under 2 years! For some reason they would just stop working one day for no reason. A good question would be why I kept buying the same player. Two reasons, one, they were only $40. Of course that turned out to be $120 in the end but until 3 units died on me I would have never believed it. Two, back then, the Philips was one of the only players out there that would play just about any format DVD there was, including DVD-R's and RW's.

So far, 3+ years later, my PS3 is still cranking along just fine under very heavy use. Gaming by the kids (Little Big Planet 2, Lego whatever), and movies, Playon by me and the wife. Last night I rented "Puss in Boots" (stop laughing ) on BR and I watched it with the wife and kids. The picture was nothing short of incredible on my Samsung plasma. As a matter of fact, it made the movie I took the kids to last week at the theater look awful. PS3 Blu-Ray plus 1080p plasma has spoiled me.

What kbohip and kevin said.
    I own 2 ps3's and yet not one ps3 game. I use them for the br player,netflick ,hulu and the ability to stream content from my pc's to my tv's.

Quote Originally Posted by <RuReady> View Post
    What kbohip and kevin said.
    I own 2 ps3's and yet not one ps3 game. I use them for the br player,netflick ,hulu and the ability to stream content from my pc's to my tv's.
    Yep, if it wasn't for my kids, my PS3 would never see gameplay. My only complaint with the PS3 is fan noise while watching movies. Other than that, the thing is great!

It makes sense for Sony. We all remember that they were (are) behind the big Blu-Ray push. So, if they're going to sneak Blu-Ray players into people's homes via a gaming console, why not make it a really good one? Plus, like Ru said, the PlayStation 3 is a great internet-connected multimedia box. Hulu, Netflix, MLB.TV , etc.

The PS3 is a very good player, but there are quite a few better, including the Oppo's. They do cost much more, though. That said, you can put any of those, including the PS3 up against my cheap Panasonic or LG in an average setup and you would never notice a difference in picture or sound quality. The Panny is 4 yrs old, the LG 3, and both still work perfectly, and play every disc I have thrown at them.
    The best picture quality I get, however is when I play a disc I have ripped to the server using my HTPC. I think the video circuitry in the computer is just better than most players have.