Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK, monitor time again

After a few years, I think I can finely get a new monitor! I have been using a 17 4:3 LCD for a bit over a year now, and was crt before that. I am thinking (alone apparently) that a 25" 16:9 would be the sweet spot for monitors, but hardly anyone makes them!

So, give me opinions on 24 - 27" monitors under $300 and if I can get from B&M stores, even better. I have BB, Officemax, staples, target, walmart, sams club to choose from, but I can go internet also if there is a die for monitor that is only online.

And if you think I should get a 23" because there are better panels for the same price, let me know, I will think about it.

Re: OK, monitor time again

Quote Originally Posted by grimmster View Post
    After a few years, I think I can finely get a new monitor! I have been using a 17 4:3 LCD for a bit over a year now, and was crt before that. I am thinking (alone apparently) that a 25" 16:9 would be the sweet spot for monitors, but hardly anyone makes them!

So, give me opinions on 24 - 27" monitors under $300 and if I can get from B&M stores, even better. I have BB, Officemax, staples, target, walmart, sams club to choose from, but I can go internet also if there is a die for monitor that is only online.

And if you think I should get a 23" because there are better panels for the same price, let me know, I will think about it.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/NEC-EA232WMI-BK/16523663

Try it out, I doubt u return this one.

No ghosting + blacks are black. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824002578
    Last edited by Mountain Mania; 03-01-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Looks good, IPS and 4 year warranty. big con is 23" (I just feel they are so small) but keep them coming.

cant go wrong for the price on ASUS. I've owned 6 of them and still have three. 2 x 25.5 and one 23.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

I feel like this would fit exactly for what you're looking for...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236123

even have it on best buy

Maybe an Asus IPS type.....but surely not a TN......big difference in quality.

Image quality, build quality, ergonomics= NEC

NEC is much higher quality then Asus.

I'd opt for NEC or Eizo for a monitor. Asus for mobo or gpu.

Honestly one thing I'd really reccomend is at least going to your local best buy or whatever and looking at their display models. Even if you end up buying it online. The last monitor I bought was a 23" Samsung LED monitor and I was going to get the LG one instead until I went into the local best buy and compared them side by side. Even though specs on paper looked basically identical the difference in quality was massive.

Which is something that can't simply be judged by good specs on a good brand sometimes. As there is nothing wrong with LG. I use a 32" IPS LG for my main monitor and its fantastic. Some things you just have to see in person

Looking at the asus online (well the VE278Q) and it does seem good! I'll have to see if local BB has either on hand and check them out in person, but the reviews and demos online are looking very god!

It's a little more, but the Dell U2412M monitor. IPS 24" screen with 1920x1200. I have a couple U2410's and love em. BTW, the 2412 is LED backlit, which is a huge plus.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...ynote_irrank=0
    http://www.jaredhudson.com

Big Kahuna Burger: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz * ASUS P6X58D-E WS * Noctua NH-D14 SSO Cooler * 24GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 * Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC * 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD * HDD (500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 2TB) * MOTU 828mkII * Sony Optiarc DVD-RW * SeaSonic X650 Gold PSU * Fractal Design R3 (Arctic) * Dual 24" Dell U2410 Ultrasharps * Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Everyone raves about the U2410 and U2411, but it appears the U2412M is something all together different and even though IPS, I have not read good things about it. At this point I will probably lean towards the VE258Q, (27 out of my price range) but have not had a chance to check if local bb has it or online only from them.

Ok, I cannot get these local at all. So, I can do newegg or amazon, does anyone know if one is better than the other for returns if I get a bad one?

Ok, I cannot get these local at all. So, I can do newegg or amazon, does anyone know if one is better than the other for returns if I get a bad one?
    with the way amazon works, newegg is much more straight forward and easy on returns. Just make sure you read the policy before hitting the trigger.

Newegg has a strict policy regarding bad pixels on monitors I've heard. I believe you must have about 8 bad pixels to return a monitor.

Amazon has a lenient policy ( meaning you can return one with just a few dead pixels, or even one bad pixel).

Buy the NEC ips monitor over anything by Asus! Its like comparing a Cadillac to a Kia. Or a Sandy Bridge cpu to a Bulldozer.

haha, I would actually take a Kia over a Cadillac, at least look wise (Optima S is nice). Cant stand the looks of Cadillac cars (except Escalade), but anyway....

I hate looking for monitors! Now I also see the NEC EX231Wp-BK, which has a PVA panel, which people say is better for movies, which is probably a good 40-50% what I do on the comp these days, so:

40% movies
    30% surfing
    30% gaming (l4d2 mostly these days, some portal, but also could do UT)

Here is what I have to choose from:

23" NEC EX231Wp-BK $260 PVA
    23" NEC EA232WMI-BK $270 IPS
    25" ASUS VE258Q $250 TN

Anyone else can chime in also! $300 shipped limit, give me recommendations.

Mountain and Bearded are complete opposite on regards to returns, but as I read more, it sounds like Amazon has the better / easier return policy on monitors if I go the Asus route. NEC I would just go Walmart and can return local.
    Last edited by grimmster; 03-10-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Asus, LED...

If you want a monitor for color replication (i.e. movies) or editing photos and what not, then you want the IPS monitor.

If you play games mostly/surf the internet, then just get a TN panel, it won't matter much to you and the refresh rate is what you want. If you play strategy games, and sim type stuff, you might want the IPS as well, those games are vastly more environmental and the color will help suck you into the experience a bit better w/o any need to avoid the added latency.