Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: OK, monitor time again

Quote Originally Posted by grimmster View Post
    haha, I would actually take a Kia over a Cadillac, at least look wise (Optima S is nice). Cant stand the looks of Cadillac cars (except Escalade), but anyway....

I hate looking for monitors! Now I also see the NEC EX231Wp-BK, which has a PVA panel, which people say is better for movies, which is probably a good 40-50% what I do on the comp these days, so:

40% movies
    30% surfing
    30% gaming (l4d2 mostly these days, some portal, but also could do UT)

Here is what I have to choose from:

23" NEC EX231Wp-BK $260 PVA
    23" NEC EA232WMI-BK $270 IPS
    25" ASUS VE258Q $250 TN

Anyone else can chime in also! $300 shipped limit, give me recommendations.

Mountain and Bearded are complete opposite on regards to returns, but as I read more, it sounds like Amazon has the better / easier return policy on monitors if I go the Asus route. NEC I would just go Walmart and can return local.
    If your local Walmart has the NEC ips buy it, try it........returns are easy

IPS are sweet for movies/ games and the NEC EA232WMI has DEEP black level and great contrast for an IPS (most IPS types have weak blacks and mediocre contrast).

I'd be weary of PVA panels, since it's generally older tech (if I'm correct). It DOES look good, and has the color depth and viewing angles of IPS. However, the refresh rates plague it compared to IPS. Keep that in mind for gaming and action movies.
    http://www.jaredhudson.com

Big Kahuna Burger: Intel Core i9 9940x * ASUS X299 Deluxe II * Noctua NH-D15S w/ Chromax * 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200 * EVGA RTX 2070S XC * 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 * 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD * 2TB WD Blue SSD * 3TB Seagate Cuda Compute HDD * Universal Audio Arrow * ASUS Thunderbolt EX 3 * Sony Optiarc DVD-RW * SeaSonic Prime 750W Platinum PSU * Fractal Design R6 (Arctic) * Dual Dell U2718Q 27" 4K Ultrasharp * Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Touch * Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by fxscreamer View Post
    I'd be weary of PVA panels, since it's generally older tech (if I'm correct). It DOES look good, and has the color depth and viewing angles of IPS. However, the refresh rates plague it compared to IPS. Keep that in mind for gaming and action movies.
    PVA has advantages + disadvantages:

VA panels have THE best contrast......nice blacks, dark scene DETAIL in games or movies is superior. Photographs look fantastic.

VA panels have better viewing angles then TN types but inferior to IPS.

VA panels usually are slowest responding.....not good at all for gaming.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides...anel-types.php

I might go with the Asus. I currently have a TN panel, my wife has an TN panel, bith Acer in this case) my two monitors at work are TN panels, my 3 laptops are TN panels, so I guess a TN panel really wont effect me that much.

Yes I know if I had an IPS and a TN right next to each other, it would be night and day, but this way, I get the bigger monitor, faster response time, and it wont look any worse then I already have, that's for sure.

Thanks much for all the info, and if anyone else has any they want to throw in, go ahead, it will still be 1 -2 weeks before I order.

Should match a monitor for the user. Seems you require a balanced monitor instead of one that specializes in something particular. Maybe there is something particular that is more important for you in a monitor. Mostly for me I think is about doing it work properly/reliably, not annoying me and beyond that is image quality and performance. Monitors vary. I'd research reviews and user opinions online by searching for a monitor. Google or whatever else is friendly.

OK, I got to borrow a monitor from a frien to try out. 27" Samsung P2770FH.

Wow, 27 is big. So for on the desktop it's been working great, started a game of portal and as I move around fast, vertical lines seem to clip in multiple places.

I'll be trying some l4d2 and maybe some ut and see how those go. Movies are very nice to watch though compared to a 17" 4.3!

OK, I've noticed some artifacts while playing games, not sure if it's the monitor or my vid card or a combo of the two.

during portal and UT3, If I move my cursor around, I get vertical lines that cause zig zag patterns

Here is a link to a video, but the video does not quit capture what I see, for some reason it captures more blocky stuff.

http://youtu.be/DmslFQ6HEOM

Hard to describe, but very annoying!

The 27" is great for movies though

OK, I've noticed some artifacts while playing games, not sure if it's the monitor or my vid card or a combo of the two.

during portal and UT3, If I move my cursor around, I get vertical lines that cause zig zag patterns

Here is a link to a video, but the video does not quit capture what I see, for some reason it captures more blocky stuff.

http://youtu.be/DmslFQ6HEOM

Hard to describe, but very annoying!

The 27" is great for movies though
    Couple of questions...

Are you running at the monitors native res ?

Is Vsync on ?

yes, it is running native and vsync is off both in CCC and ingame.

vsync is off both in CCC and ingame.
    turn it on and it should resolved the issue

sweet and simple enough thanks xiz0r! It had been on, but someone said turn it off, so now I went and turned it back on to always be on and bingo, no more weird lines.

I have one of the Dell U2412Ms mentioned above, I got it on special from Dell for USD$289 (converted from NZD). The extra pixel height is really nice (1920x1200) and as others have stated, it uses a slightly different technology than the U2410. The U2410 uses true IPS technology for the best colour accuracy and contrast (and comes with the respective higher price). The U2412 is a compromise, it uses what they call e-IPS, for economical I guess. It has the viewing angles (needed for a larger monitor otherwise the colours change in the corners if you sit close to it, i.e. at a desk), and the majority of the colour reproduction/contrast of an IPS panel, but has the fast response time of a TN panel. All at a reasonable price.

I love my Samsung SyncMaster T260HD, its a 25.5" monitor and TV (with remote) and has done great the last few years.

benchmark setting

OK, I have it down now to either of these two. I can pick up both local.

Samsung is hdmi only, so I would have to buy a hdmi cable and dvi > hdmi adapter or use the vga connection, but it is cheaper.

what say ye

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...101&Tpk=vk278q
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1&Tpk=s27a350h

So I picked up the Samsung S27A350H. I do believe I will like this very much. Still getting some settings set, but I'm loving watching movies on it.

Just using VGA so far. Once I get a new vid card with built in HDMI port, then I will use that.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.