Question Liquid Cooling Question.

I have a couple questions about custom loops. First off what I'm looking at for my loop

Tubing: Tubing, Clear UV-Reactive PVC, 10ft[ID: 10mm (3/8in); OD: 13mm (1/2in)]
    Coolant: High Performance UV reactant coolant
    Radiator: 2x140mm 30FPI Copper Core
    Pump/Resevoir: RP-1005 (Uses PMP-400 Pump)
    Fittings: Compression fitted (right size for tubing)

This is my first liqiud cooled build so bare with me.

The questions I have are:
    1)Whats better Compression or Barbed fittings? I feel like compression is the safer way to go but not sure.
    2.)Is the PMP-400 pump good? All i have planned for the loop are 2 Video Cards in SLI and possible exspansion to CPU down the road.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Re: Liquid Cooling Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartsocks View Post
    I have a couple questions about custom loops. First off what I'm looking at for my loop

Tubing: Tubing, Clear UV-Reactive PVC, 10ft[ID: 10mm (3/8in); OD: 13mm (1/2in)]
    Coolant: High Performance UV reactant coolant
    Radiator: 2x140mm 30FPI Copper Core
    Pump/Resevoir: RP-1005 (Uses PMP-400 Pump)
    Fittings: Compression fitted (right size for tubing)

This is my first liqiud cooled build so bare with me.

The questions I have are:
    1)Whats better Compression or Barbed fittings? I feel like compression is the safer way to go but not sure.
    2.)Is the PMP-400 pump good? All i have planned for the loop are 2 Video Cards in SLI and possible exspansion to CPU down the road.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Where are you buying this from? What brand are these things? I've never heard of that pump.

As far as fittings go its something ive been looking into myself and it appears compression fittings are quite a bit more expensive and some of them are pretty crappy at maintaining a seal but its good for being able to disconnect later. From what ive read most people recommend a high quality barb instead.

which GPUs do you plan on using? since that will impact how much heat is going into your system.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

^^^ What they said.. we need a lot more information to give you good advise. Though I can say from go you should ditch UV reactant coolant. Just get UV tubing if you want some color.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    ^^^ What they said.. we need a lot more information to give you good advise. Though I can say from go you should ditch UV reactant coolant. Just get UV tubing if you want some color.
    yea, if you're buying pre-made coolant you're gonna get fleeced. better to get some DI water, a silver kill-coil and some dye

Trust me, I do science

@ Bearded Frog- I was looking at Koolance for all of these products. The Rp-1005 is a pump/res combo they have and says it uses the PMP-400 pump.

@Activate: AMD- I was originally looking at 2 GTX 580 hydro Copper 2 but I'm waiting for Kepler to come out and see if they have a card like that or if i can put a block on them myself ( I'd be buying 2 680-780s whatever they go with)

And as for the coolant i should drop it and find a clear solution

For starters that pump will work just fine for what you have in mind.
    That radiator is NOT going to be enough to cool two GPU's and a CPU and leave you with any headroom at all. I'd suggest a 3x120 or better yet a 3x140 or 4x120 if your case will handle it.
    There I've thrown in my two cents worth!
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Not to sound like an advertisement but I'd recommend looking at www.performance-pcs.com for watercooling and DIY stuff. They have quite an amazing selection of parts for any project. And I'd agree you're probably going to want more radiator for 2 gpus and a CPU. What CPU are you running in this system?

I'm running a i7-3930k stock right now but do plan to OC to the low to mid 4GHz range. I was looking at the Corsair H-100 drop in kit for the CPU and then the custom loop just for GPU's. I hav'nt gotten much feedback on other forums whether running the H100 is better/worse then having it in the loop with GPU's.

And thank you guys for the recomendation thus far I've changed out from Koolance to Performance-PCs. I changed some stuff but still about the same just differnet brands.
    Radiator: Black Ice GTX 280 2x140mm
    Pump/Reservoir: RP-1005
    Tubing:Feser UV active 3/8" ID 1/2" OD
    Coolant:PrimoChill ICE Non-conductive- Blood Red
    Fittings: EK High Flow 3/8" Barb with Koolance Reusable Metal Clamps 1/2" OD
    CPU block:Supreme HF High Flow fitting size 3/8" Barb 3/8" ID Tube

If I end up getting rid of the H100 I'll use that CPU block and will be able add a Second 2x120mm Rad to the back where i would put the H100. Looking over everything the fittings started to get a little confusing but think i have everything to the right size and was looking at getting 10 Barbs and clamps and 10 ft of tubing. If I got something i dont need or to much any advice is awesome. This cart is already ~$120 more than it was at Koolance so If I can save some $$ it'd be awesome.
    Again Thank you guys.
    Last edited by Hartsocks; 03-08-2012 at 01:59 PM.

I was looking at the Corsair H-100 drop in kit for the CPU and then the custom loop just for GPU's.
    There are air coolers that work just as good or better than the Corsair H-100

Personally I would go with the H100 on the CPU and a water kit of some sort on the GPUs if you want all water.

Here is a look at a number of coolers and how they stack up against each other.

Last edited by richardd43; 03-09-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I'm running a i7-3930k stock right now but do plan to OC to the low to mid 4GHz range. I was looking at the Corsair H-100 drop in kit for the CPU and then the custom loop just for GPU's. I hav'nt gotten much feedback on other forums whether running the H100 is better/worse then having it in the loop with GPU's.

And thank you guys for the recomendation thus far I've changed out from Koolance to Performance-PCs. I changed some stuff but still about the same just differnet brands.

If I end up getting rid of the H100 I'll use that CPU block and will be able add a Second 2x120mm Rad to the back where i would put the H100. Looking over everything the fittings started to get a little confusing but think i have everything to the right size and was looking at getting 10 Barbs and clamps and 10 ft of tubing. If I got something i dont need or to much any advice is awesome. This cart is already ~$120 more than it was at Koolance so If I can save some $$ it'd be awesome.
    Again Thank you guys.
    Just one reccomendation. If youre going to performance-pcs, consider this brand tubing: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...b699942e4fc555
    Not that colour exactly but that tubing brand. That stuff is SO much more flexable than the normal stuff, at least from my experience it made a huge diff. Also be aware that non-conductive cooling can be a bit of a gimmick. I bought it too and when I had a leak spring i thought it wasnt going to be a big deal. Didnt think about the fact that it getting in some areas that NEED to be conductive creates a problem! if it gets in a slot or a power connector youre just as fubar'd.

I'd also agree if budget is an issue just stick with a cheap cooler on the processor for now until you can grab that extra radiator and waterblock. Why buy something nice that you're just going to replace later. I do find the prebuilt kits to be pretty good though. I have the antec one and for me it works a lot better than my high end air cooler did and its much cleaner too.

Again Thank you guys.
    That H100 is actually a decent cooler and will do better than the vast majority of the best air coolers with a decent set of fans on it. That said were I in your shoes I'd simply get the additional 2x120mm (2x140)rad and a good water block and skip the H100 altogether. Need some sleeping material on system flow and dual loop vs single loop? Well here ya go :

Dual Loop versus Single, the facts

&

Actual influence of flow rate on system temps

That RP-1005 pump reservoir setup is kinda pricey and unnecessary IMHO. You could save some money with a single external pump and a small reservoir with a fill tube or no reservoir. I've run systems with no reservoir at all and simply used a long fill tube with the pump at the bottom of the case.. works fine for air bleeding and adding fluids as needed. It also eliminates the reservoir "sloshing" or "running water" sound that makes you feel like you gotta pee every 15 minutes.

GL
    Last edited by AMDScooter; 03-09-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions!! I think I've got everything in place and will be ordering soon.

I have last question though.

I am looking at Nanoxia HyperZero Performance Coolant UV Red and was wondering if it's a bad or good idea to put a Silver KillCoil in the loop somewhere. The Coolant says to not add any Nuked-Cu mixtures or the antibacterial mixtures. Was just wondering if this will help at all or if the coolant is good enough.

Thanks again!

I know I am chiming in kinda late, but you may want to take a peek at these high flow quick disconnects. They sure did come in handy when I had to move my pc.

Code:
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23027&catid=926

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions!! I think I've got everything in place and will be ordering soon.

I have last question though.

I am looking at Nanoxia HyperZero Performance Coolant UV Red and was wondering if it's a bad or good idea to put a Silver KillCoil in the loop somewhere. The Coolant says to not add any Nuked-Cu mixtures or the antibacterial mixtures. Was just wondering if this will help at all or if the coolant is good enough.

Thanks again!
    I promise you that whatever is in the Nanoxia coolant is stuff that you can add yourself. I gurantee that the bulk of it is deionized or distilled water, plus a little dye, and an antimicrobial additive. You can buy a gallon of distilled water at the store for less than $2, buy a thing of UV reactive dye and a silver kill-coil for probably the same or a similar cost to buying just 1 liter of pre-made coolant. Not only that, but you make as much as you need and when you need to do a little loop maintanence and refill, you just buy another gallon of water and bust out the bottle of dye from last time, saving yourself $15+ by not having to buy another bottle of coolant.

Trust me, I do science