Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NVIDIA GTX 680 leaked by Chinese sites

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/14/r...-prove-it-doe/

Start paying down those credit cards, kiddies. Looks like we're getting first glimpses of NVIDIA's GeForce 600-series.

NVIDIA's response to the 7970, I guess.

Rumored specs:

1,006MHZ core speed
    2GB 256-bit GDDR5 VRAM
    1,536 CUDA core count
    195W TDP
    6Gbps memory

Picture:

That card is identical to the GTX 480 and 580 (well, 480 had big freaking heat pipes coming out of the side), so nothing really special there.

I dunno. Any thoughts?

Re: NVIDIA GTX 680 leaked by Chinese sites

OK, so the card exists. It has RAM, it has shaders, it runs a 1GHz (oh, sorry, 1.006GHz). Tells us nothing about performance or anything. I'm sure it will beat a 7970 while costing more, using more electricity, and reaching market availability 6 months later. I mean, I guess thats a win, but 7970 has enjoyed 6 months of sales, so whos winning? Either way I'm probably not buying either one

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    OK, so the card exists. It has RAM, it has shaders, it runs a 1GHz (oh, sorry, 1.006GHz). Tells us nothing about performance or anything. I'm sure it will beat a 7970 while costing more, using more electricity, and reaching market availability 6 months later. I mean, I guess thats a win, but 7970 has enjoyed 6 months of sales, so whos winning? Either way I'm probably not buying either one
    Hopefully all the NVIDIA fanboys will flock to the 680 and it'll drop the price of the GTX 580 and I can get a second one for some SLI action.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Hopefully all the NVIDIA fanboys will flock to the 680 and it'll drop the price of the GTX 580 and I can get a second one for some SLI action.
    The price has already dropped on 580s in anticipation of the launch later this month. its less than $400 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    The price has already dropped on 580s in anticipation of the launch later this month. its less than $400 now.
    Yeah, you're right. I haven't checked it a while. May be getting one, though the PSU will also have to go.

Considering my $200 460 sli setup is more than enough to run any of the console ports we're all forced to endure? I mean come one, it's still the rare game that even runs DX11! Yeah, I'll never understand why people shell out the kind of money they have to for these top of the line graphics cards.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Considering my $200 460 sli setup is more than enough to run any of the console ports we're all forced to endure? I mean come one, it's still the rare game that even runs DX11! Yeah, I'll never understand why people shell out the kind of money they have to for these top of the line graphics cards.
    Yeah, you're right about that. I have 2 480 GTXs in SLI and this will be the second generation of newer tech and while im thinking this gen will probably offer good enough upgrade potential for me to buy, I'm not sure there is a reason to. All I want is perfect framerate at 1920x1080 and max detail and aa/af settings. This is achievable easily by my 480 GTXs and im not sure theres going to be anything anytime soon that would change that.

All we get is old engine use anymore. Mass Effect 3 can be maxed out on a 3-4 year old computer let alone my 480 gtxs. I wouldn't mind upgrading just due to heat output of my current cards though being that temps are on the rise here now. This new generation looks extremely efficient. My current setup requires all the windows open during the winter time to maintain a decent temperature in the house when gaming lol.

Oh and btw, speaking of better prices on 580's, Jethro is selling a 580 3gb for only $339.00 over in the Trading forum here. A good deal as the cheapest I could find one on Newegg was $488 shipped.
    Last edited by kbohip; 03-15-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    Yeah, you're right about that. I have 2 480 GTXs in SLI and this will be the second generation of newer tech and while im thinking this gen will probably offer good enough upgrade potential for me to buy, I'm not sure there is a reason to. All I want is perfect framerate at 1920x1080 and max detail and aa/af settings. This is achievable easily by my 480 GTXs and im not sure theres going to be anything anytime soon that would change that.

All we get is old engine use anymore. Mass Effect 3 can be maxed out on a 3-4 year old computer let alone my 480 gtxs. I wouldn't mind upgrading just due to heat output of my current cards though being that temps are on the rise here now. This new generation looks extremely efficient. My current setup requires all the windows open during the winter time to maintain a decent temperature in the house when gaming lol.
    Oh yeah, these Fermi's love to put out the heat don't they. My case is a God send in that respect, and it helps a lot that my basement is never above 68 year round. Even then, I can still hear the fans crank up while gaming.

Nah, there's some cutting edge games out there. The Metro 2033 sequel is supposed to come out in 2013 and we have games like Witcher 2 and BF3 that need all that graphics power.

480's a great room heater for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Nah, there's some cutting edge games out there. The Metro 2033 sequel is supposed to come out in 2013 and we have games like Witcher 2 and BF3 that need all that graphics power.
    I run BF3 at Ultra settings with my setup, although that might be because my monitor is 1680x1050. Tonight I'll find out how my setup runs Arkham City in the dreaded DX11 mode. Maybe I'll be eating my words then.

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    How can it use more power when it looks like it has two 6 pin connectors and 7970 has a 6+8?

As the card is rumored to launch next week, I count two months since 7970 launch, not six.

Oh and btw, speaking of better prices on 580's, Jethro is selling a 580 3gb for only $339.00 over in the Trading forum here. A good deal as the cheapest I could find one on Newegg was $488 shipped.
    Dropping to $325 shipped, last drop pre FleaBaay

^^^That's a great price jethro. One just like your's just sold for $450+10 shipping on Ebay.