Question VHS to Hard Drive

Finally looking to get all of my VHS home videos onto a hard drive. I only want to do this once so I'm looking to get the best quality or at least get it in a format where I can clean it up later if I choose to do so. I have a Toshiba VCR and a PC with the following specs.

OS Win7 Pro x64, Asus P6T Deluxe, Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, AMD Radeon HD 4870, 6GB Corsair DDR3, Intel X25M 120GB, WD 1TB Caviar Black, Buffalo USB 3.0 PCIe card, Corsair HX1000, Corsair H50 cooler, Cosmos S1000.

Q1. - What hardware should I get to connect my VCR to my PC? I'm fine with temporarily removing any hardware if necessary to but something else in and get the job done.

Q2. - What software do I need? I currently have Cyberlink PowerDirector 7 Ultra.

Q3. - What format should I get the files into? I'm ok with large file sizes and getting a bigger HD if needed. H.264? MPEG4? WTV? ???

Anything else I'm missing? I've read several forums online and it seems like people have a million ways there doing this but I want it done right and without spending a thousand dollars.

Re: VHS to Hard Drive

My older brother did this stuff a decade ago for the family VHS videos. His take was, the longer you put it off to do, the worse the VHS gets over time.

With that said, you quality will depend on the machine that did the recording mostly. If the VHS tapes were made with 4-head stereo, hope your Toshiba VHS player output is likewise.

MPEG4 is a solid format that can be played on mainly all players.

As for software to read the input via a RS-232 or USB or RGB (if equipped via GPU card), look at some of the OpenSource software too to save costs and still have a robust video capture. Here's a start ... http://opensourcewindows.org
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump maverick