New Build for Yeah

Hello guys and gals..

With the advent of some new games coming out I want to be sure I have plenty of power to play them with no problems.

I have around 1300.00 for a new build.

I would like to move away from water cooling and go back to air.

I've put together systems with ASUS and my current board is an MSI, I would like to stick with those brands.

I've been going back and forth with myself on the type of case, and I just don't know if I want to try a small form factor design; If I'd be able to use my 550 TI card in it. (my bfg card died)

You can see my current system specs but I would like to get a SSD and 4 gig of ram. Maybe a smaller cheaper SSD for the OS and some apps and maybe a NAS for other programs .. would it have enough throughput to play games from the NAS?

About 64 bit, is it time to move to that OS? Do games or will games (within the next 3 or 4 years beneifit from 64 bit? If I go 64 bit can I still play my 32 bit games?

So here is everyone's chance to help me build my new system and decide what you would do if you were me. I probably will not use anything in my current build into this new build except for the video card-because I am thinking about passing this system down to my son.

Everyones thoughts?

Re: New Build for Yeah

Hell yeah, Yeah.

Regarding 64-bit, go 64-bit. No reason to stay with a 32-bit operating system. Everything (well, almost everything) will work fine on a 64-bit OS. It'll be faster, you can us more RAM, etc.

As for SSDs, you may want to do what a lot of people are doing, get a smaller SSD for a boot drive. Just install Windows and a few critical programs/games on it. Just stuff where you want the most speed. Then save all the other documents, your photos, videos, music for a regular HDD. You'll go crazy if you try to fit everything on an SSD and you'll go poor if you try to get an SSD big enough for everything!

That's all I'm qualified to answer.

+1 on the 64 bit os. With the price of ram being so cheap right now you can get 8 gigs of quality ram(2x4GB) for around $60 give or take.

Hey thanks for the posts guys. Okay then I'll go for the 64bit OS.

Anyone want to toss out some build ideas?

Any comments on small form factor or full tower case?

The reason I ask is because I currently squeeeeezed components into this mid tower case and it was sorta difficult to manage but I was also putting in lik 4 Hard drives and CDROM so I thought I needed all the space. The water cooler tubing takes up more room now than any much else but the video card.

So if I just get a smaller SSD and use the 320 Gig that i have for storage I can just axe the other two drives since I wanted to leave this system useable by my son.

I cant believe no one wants to spend my money. I suppose everyone asks the same questions around here tho.. what do i buy .. lol .. I just wanted to b like one of the guys i guess.

It really depends what you want to be able to do with it. A good place to start is by checking out the PC Per Hardware Leaderboard. Choose the High End System, cut the SSD in half, swap the CPU from 2600K to a 2500K and lose the sound card. You will be about at your price range. If you want a motherboard from the manufacturers you listed, just look on Newegg for one around $220-250 and post a list of what you put together back here. It is so much easier for us to help you if we have a starting point, i.e. recommending swapping one component for another or jumping on something that happens to be on special.

You will also want to leave some money for a case and a CPU cooler.