5 17.86%
  • Who cares

2 7.14%
  • jethro is a fanboi!

3 10.71%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

GTX 680: Who's got one/Getting one? real world results

As the title says
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Re: GTX 680: Who's got one/Getting one? real world results

Really impressed with the benchmarks, but I'm going to get a second GTX 580 for SLI rather than upgrade to a 680.

The 680 is a nice card. But I've got my remaining 7970 running at 1200~1800 on stock volts (under water) and I doubt even with overclocking the 680 is going to offer me enough over what I already have to justify getting one.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Thinking about selling off my PNY 460 1GB OC's and buying one. Only problem is by the time they are back in stock everyone and their brother will be trying to unload their 460/470/480's. then the prices will bottom out just like when i tried to sell off my 260's sli
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

debating getting one to replace my 2x 460's. kind of moot right now since its OOS, but I need an upgrade to drive my bigger panel.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I'd like to upgrade my GTX285 at some point. Not sure if a 680 is necessary.

Might want until a cheaper version comes out...

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    Thinking about selling off my PNY 460 1GB OC's and buying one. Only problem is by the time they are back in stock everyone and their brother will be trying to unload their 460/470/480's. then the prices will bottom out just like when i tried to sell off my 260's sli
    For this reason, it's better to get rid of them before the launch, if you are planning to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by orion24 View Post
    For this reason, it's better to get rid of them before the launch, if you are planning to upgrade
    yea, but then you have to have downtime before the upgrade

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I've had one a while, these cards are the stuff.

I'm having another one delivered next week, but honestly, for either of my display sets one would be fine. (25X16, 57x10)

I've been loving using the 680 for 57 X 10 surround, this card is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I've had one a while, these cards are the stuff.

I'm having another one delivered next week, but honestly, for either of my display sets one would be fine. (25X16, 57x10)

I've been loving using the 680 for 57 X 10 surround, this card is a beast.
    Back in the focus group?
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Back in the focus group?
    Yes, couldn't resist an invite to GDC to see what was going on with these cards.

Probably around summer when I actually have time to game. Gonna see if ATI slashes 7970 prices to be competitive. Impressive card, but I rely on hydravision for work alot.
    Last edited by fatlazyhomer; 03-23-2012 at 02:07 AM.

I don't think AMD will chop their prices for some time. With demand so high for these next gen cards, plus NVIDIA's current inability to put out a good supply (so far), AMD feels no pressure to make price cuts. So they will make hay while the sun is shining...

I would say in about 2 months we will see those prices start to creep down as supply becomes more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by fatlazyhomer View Post
    Probably around summer when I actually have time to game. Gonna see if ATI slashes 7970 prices to be competitive. Impressive card, but I rely on hydravision for work alot.
    The thing is that the GTX680 is likely a lot cheaper to manufacture than the HD79x0-series. nVidia does have a real winner in its hands this time (and more to come...). If Ati slashes prices, I'd expect nVidia to get 'right back at ya'. This may lead to an interesting and better world.

I'd expect the real winners to be at the very low-end however. Especially after 78x0-series and GTX670 actually get to have a go vs each other. 'Low end cards' should be able to deliver plenty this time around and if the high-end will see its prices slashed in a price fight, I'd expect the fight to be even bloodier at the 'low end' (a more accurate description is probably 'the more reasonably priced end'...). Not everyone games at 5kx1k or have multiple monitors. On a tech/geek forum like this, it is natural that those that do are way overpresented though. The reality is that they make less than 1% of the gaming community.

Have a Evga on order