Samsung 30nm ram :)

I just pulled the trigger on (2) Samsung's new 30nm DDR3-1600 2x4GB kit. I have never read such good reviews about OC ability of ram. It falls right into my sweetspot of being green and OC'able.

Turns out a co-worker of mine has it installed, and loves it. He has it OC'd to 2133 @ 1.45volts(i think that what he said). Has anyone give it a try? I know it can be difficult to buy at times @ newegg, but in stock now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147096

I never knew 30nm ram existed, thought they all were 40nm. I was just curious of anyone has used it? I have 2 8GB kits coming via UPS. My build so far, everything but my CPU and motherboard are either here or on the way:

CPU/Mobo/monitor-TBD (IVY or SB-E on ASRock Board)
    16GB Samsung 30nm ram (4x4) MV-3V4G3D/US
    180GB Intel 520 Cherryville SSD
    750GB Seagate Momentus XT Gen2
    EVGA GTX680
    750W Thermaltake Toughpower Grand (80+ gold)
    Corsair Carbide 400r
    Corsair H80 Cooler
    LG BD burner w/ 3D, MDisc, Lightscribe

Just waiting to see how ivy plays out before i commit, but either way this is a dream build for budget, can't wait.
    Last edited by gordong11; 03-27-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Thanks Gordo..my new build (4/7/2012)
    Intel Core i7-3820 SB-E OC'd to 4.625Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
    16mb Samsung DDR3-1600 (MV-3V4G3D/US) 2x(2x4mb) @ 1666 9-9-9-28 1.50v
    Corsair Carbide 400r
    Corsair H70 Core liquid cooler w/2x COUGAR CF-V12HP 12CM Silent Fans w/Pulse Width Modulation
    EVGA GTX680
    Thermaltake toughpower grand 750 (80+ Gold)
    Intel 520 180GB SSD
    Seagate momentus XT 750 SATAIII gen2 hybrid
    LG WH12LS39 BD burner w/ 3D MDisc Lightscribe
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M LED 1920x1200 w/IPS
    Cerwin Vega XD3 2.0 speakers
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Re: Samsung 30nm ram :)

I have 48GiB (twelve DIMMs) of this stuff, so far, spread over three systems. It is quite impressive for the money, though I am more limited by my memory controllers than the RAM itself.

Also, 20nm DDR3 ICs have been in mass production for some time, though DIMMs made with them are still hard to find. I would not be terribly surprised if there were similarly fast and affordable 8GiB DIMMs around in six months.

I've heard of these dimms a few times lately, mostly with regards to their overclocking abilities. Ever since CPU's gained the ability to run asynchronous memory speeds with a relatively small performance penalty, it seems like overclocking memory has become a lost art with no real-world benefits. Still, its nice to use the opportunity to wax nostalgic about the good-old-days of BH-5 and TCCD chips

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I've heard of these dimms a few times lately, mostly with regards to their overclocking abilities. Ever since CPU's gained the ability to run asynchronous memory speeds with a relatively small performance penalty, it seems like overclocking memory has become a lost art with no real-world benefits.
    True, the benefits are usually small, but there are still some tasks where it can help (archiving, for example) and free performance is free performance.

People buy these DIMMs because they aren't much more expensive than other budget memory, but they can often handle 50%+ OCs. They are also low profile, and don't interfere with any cooler I'm aware of as they don't even clear the memory retention clips on most boards.

Another benefit is that they run cool. I've got a pair of LGA-1366 setups with six DIMMs all packed together, and ambients can easily hit 30-35C at my current location, so heat matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Still, its nice to use the opportunity to wax nostalgic about the good-old-days of BH-5 and TCCD chips
    I've actually got a pair of hand binned TwinMOS Speed Preimum (Winbond revised CH-5 UTT ICs) 512MiB DIMMs sitting on my desk right now, even though my S754 and 939 boards/CPUs are long gone.

Fairly amusing to think that I was getting ~35ns memory latency in tests back in 2005 with CL2 DDR500+, and it wasn't until Sandy Bridge and DDR3-2133 seven years later that I beat those figures.

Quote Originally Posted by oralpain View Post
    True, the benefits are usually small, but there are still some tasks where it can help (archiving, for example) and free performance is free performance.

People buy these DIMMs because they aren't much more expensive than other budget memory, but they can often handle 50%+ OCs. They are also low profile, and don't interfere with any cooler I'm aware of as they don't even clear the memory retention clips on most boards.

Another benefit is that they run cool. I've got a pair of LGA-1366 setups with six DIMMs all packed together, and ambients can easily hit 30-35C at my current location, so heat matters.
    True. The rated timings on these things are hilarious! 11-11-11-28? Its easy to see why they'd fly under the radar of most uninformed enthusiasts. Obviously the fact that they're low profile and low heat is doubly attractive, especially since it seems like the CPU->mem slot distance on LGA1155 is short and high ram heat spreaders interfere with big air-coolers. The price is right as well. I'm definitely considering these for use in a potential swap to an 1155 rig from my current setup.

Quote Originally Posted by oralpain View Post
    I've actually got a pair of hand binned TwinMOS Speed Preimum (Winbond revised CH-5 UTT ICs) 512MiB DIMMs sitting on my desk right now, even though my S754 and 939 boards/CPUs are long gone.

Fairly amusing to think that I was getting ~35ns memory latency in tests back in 2005 with CL2 DDR500+, and it wasn't until Sandy Bridge and DDR3-2133 seven years later that I beat those figures.
    Oh how the time goes by.. I remember prying the heatspreaders off the 256mb stick of Kingston HyperX PC2700 i was running in my NF2 board with a AXP 1700+ and finding BH-5 underneath. Considering I didn't know what BH-5 was when I bought the thing, finding that I had a hidden hidden gem was incredibly exciting! That was followed by 2x512 sticks of corsair PC3500 (the only SKU i know of that was guaranteed BH-5) and then an upgrade to 2x1GB Patriot TCCD goodness. Seems like that was the last hurrah... after that memory really ceased being a differentiator in overclocking.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present