Thread: Need new drives

Need new drives

Edit: See second post. This system is killing drives WAY too quickly to warrant money in to it. I'd rather get 2xperformance drives for RAID-1 in my main system.

Ask yourself this: What could keep a college student up posting in a storage forum at 1:30 AM during the school week?

Unfortunately, it is as dirty as it sounds - I had a hard drive start dying. The one with all the notes over the past 4 weeks to the essay I was assigned to earlier this afternoon when it was working perfectly fine enough for me to save this class period's notes to it. The thing is flashing in and out of BIOS detection. I managed to get it online and am backing it up right now. It sounds like a 5 and 1/4 inch drive occasionally.

This is on a Linux gateway operating 24/7 in multiple roles including NAS.

The bloody thing is a storage drive and when it went it took the OS with it - I'm on Knoppix to do the backups instead of at a terminal. I really don't want to buy more spindle based storage (I WONDER WHY!?) but I'm noticing my important data becoming less and less redundant as these disks burn out without replacement.

I need to, on a student's budget, get at least 500 gigs of redundant storage in this machine. All it has to do is get 50 megabytes/sec read speeds and 35 megabytes/sec write without sounding like a table saw or dying after a week. What's out there?

P.S., keep your systems AWAY from your heating/air vents! The shock from the temperature change coming from my opening up the AC vent that was closed during the winter (who needs heat in a room full of computers?) appears to be what did these in!
    Last edited by Windrunner; 03-29-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Re: Need new workhorse drives

Woke up. Checked the backup. It's failed. Pulled the now very dead drive (after seriously injuring my thumb on the Cooler Master Centuriion 'toolless' locking system).

Then bleeding thumb in icewater and all, I turned the system on to try to repair GRUB. Click. Click. Click. Click. Click.

A dead HDD is a bad MONTH. Now this.

(Oh, also, my dog is sick and it's pretty gross to treat, have to do that thrice daily. I'll cut this rant short.)

Screw the workhorses. I need new performance drives, I'll just replace the 250 gig and 160 gig in my main system and put them in this machine. 2xwhatevers in RAID-1. What should I get?
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.