feandro is offline nix the electoral college

Memory compatibility question

I used to know all this, but it's been way too long. . .

I have a PC built on the MSI X58 PLATINUM SLI motherboard. Currently I have 6gb of RAM installed (2Gx3|CORS TR3X6G1600C8D R). I'm looking to upgraid my RAM, and since I have 6 slots to play with, I would love to just add some to what I have already. What I'm wondering is whether or not it will be important for the new RAM to be of the same size denominations as the existing RAM. In other words, since I have 3 sticks of 2gb each, do I need to just add 3 more sticks of 2gb each, or can I add 3 sticks of 4gb each, or something of the like?

Aside from making sure they're the same speed, any other considerations I should keep in mind?

Thanks!!

Re: Memory compatibility question

I took a look at the manual 7522v1.1 and it said on page 2-9 In Three/ Dual-Channel mode, make sure that you install memory modules of the same type and density in different channel DIMM slots
    - Due to the chipset resource deployment, the system density will only be detected up to 23+GB (not full 24GB) when each DIMM is installed with a 4GB memory module.

Plus it show that it will also work in Three-Channel mode with 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 sticks of memory.

So just get 3 x 4GB (maybe 1600 7-7-7-24) and try it, if it don't work, you still will have 12 GB with the new memory modules. Which would run at a better timing and speed with less modules.

Also maybe try out the Samsung's 30nm DDR3-1600 8GB (2 x 4GB), buy 2 or 3 packs.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147096

Thanks for the info. Can you clarify what the meaning of "density" is in this context? Does that mean each stick should be the same size, or does that refer to something else?

Thank you!

Yes, memory modules being the same size, like 4GB each = density in this case (as I understand).

same type = x8 or x16 chips on module (I think).

someone else maybe will chime in and help more

I know when I have try to mix memory modules, it has sometime worked on some types of motherboards. I would always set memory timing to the slowest rated memory and start testing the memory with memtest86+ on floppy disk or CD. I just boot from the floppy disk and run memtest86+ to check for errors, if no errors, reboot into the bios, and change the memory speed bus and or memory timing, then reboot with the floppy disk to retest for errors.
    I think its safer with the memtest86+ boot disk, as going into windows with timing to fast and or the memory bus to high for the memory modules, can corrupt windows.

Memtest86+ V4.20 (25/01/2011) is free here http://www.memtest.org/
    you can get a ISO to burn to CD, or USB memory stick version, or floppy disk version

Thank you!!